Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Depth, what if..........

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Depth, what if..........
February 13, 2015 02:58PM
Depth is a good thing with any machine. If you had a machine that would find stuff at say two foot, the amount of time it would take to dig a hole that deep would be unreal. Imagine if you dug twenty holes in a hunt how worn out you would be. The hole at the ground surface would probably have to almost match the depth across it, or close to it, to access the target I would think. You would almost have to lay on your belly to get it out of the hole. Our relic shovels, most of them being as short as they are wouldn't even work at that depth, 2/3 of the shovel in the ground. Much deeper and the hole might would fall under OSHA guidelines lol. Just imagine.......... How many holes at two foot would you want to dig in a hunt.
Re: Depth, what if..........
February 13, 2015 03:31PM
Not to mention the damage to the landscape....If you ever dug a foot the deeper you dig the wider becomes the hole...After leaving several small manhole covers holes watch the no detecting signs go up...
Not feasible unless you hunt in the boonies with a stout shovel...
February 13, 2015 03:31PM
I agree with you Jack. 2 feet? Heck just saying it makes me tired!

Charles
February 13, 2015 03:36PM
Unless it had some type of true imaging I don't think I would want to dig that deep unless maybe relic hunting in the woods. I would have to know for sure there was a good target there. If you were in a park you would have to set up a tent over the target so you could block prying eyes. Just a 10 inch measured hole is really deep!
February 13, 2015 03:44PM
the recent finder of the million pound silver coin hoard soon had a 2 foot hole dug after his deus gave a big signal

reward 1.3 million pounds coming his way/ he took a chance and won

[www.weekendwanderersdetecting.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2015 04:32PM by diggers.
February 13, 2015 03:47PM
If I knew there was an early American coin that deep, especially silver, I'd dig it... if in the woods or farm field. A hole can be dug a foot across and two feet deep with the proper shovel.
February 13, 2015 04:12PM
Especially on larger targets a T handle soil probe would be helpful.
February 13, 2015 04:26PM
If only we had that problem...I have dug some iron that was a foot or more some were ax heads...and yes that is a problem so at one foot I'm tired at two less its a box of coins or jar I'm going to pass...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 13, 2015 08:19PM
If I had a machine like a minelab that would give good TID on a 24" deep coin, sure I'd dig it if I could. Would be hard to do in a park, manicured lawn, etc. and not make a mess. And in making the mess, one could probably kiss parks goodbye. Areas are already becoming off limits more and more, this would just accelerate I feel. Now for the farmfields, sure thing, but some of the farmers around here wouldn't be delighted to see gopher holes through out their fields and pastures. And a 24" hole in the woods. Boy, better not be many trees around, those roots can be rough. Might have to bring chainsaw with 20-24" bar along just to access a 24" deep hole in many spots in the forest.
February 13, 2015 09:07PM
If there was a detector with 90%+ accuracy in correctly identifying a two foot deep signal as non ferrous metal I would dig every one.
February 13, 2015 09:52PM
What about post hole diggers? or something fashioned like that.
February 13, 2015 10:20PM
That is what I was thinking, u2Robert, post hole diggers.

When you get into that type of depth you would have to start using specialized retrieval equipment, much of which doesn't currently exist. That being said, necessity is the mother of invention.

How about an electric hand held drill type digger. No larger than the normal battery operated drill, just with a specialized bit designed to create a hole in the ground. You'd make a plug like normal, then pull the drill out and go the rest of the way. Coin is brought up to the surface virtually unscathed (unless the tip of the bit somehow centered right on it.

Won't be long and we'll need a caddy to carry all the required equipment smiling smiley

HH
Mike
February 13, 2015 11:12PM
The post hole diggers I've used. 19" is about as deep as you can go. Once you exceed 19" the handles will not close up for dirt removal. Dirt would have to removed by hand. Then you could dig deeper.
February 14, 2015 04:24AM
That kind of depth would be over half a yard of dirt, whew.........

Detectors used
Nokta FoRs CoRe, Makro R1, Makro R2X2, ETrac, 3030, Compadre, several others.
Obama put this country in the toilet, vote for Hilderbeast and she'll pull the handle
February 14, 2015 08:24AM
digging holes at the aforementioned depths
in public sites will guarantee learning a new hobby
will be in your future!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 14, 2015 08:31AM
Guys do it nuggethunting all the time.
February 14, 2015 11:15AM
You might hit water if you dug that deep down here !
February 14, 2015 11:54AM
Machines that deep would have metal detecting banned from parks and public areas no question. Might have to put metal detectors into different types of classes based on how deep they can go.
February 14, 2015 01:12PM
Is this to implicate there would be no exercise of prudence in the usage of a high powered tool?

In Florida, most places/many times..... the first foot of soil only produces the (1965 - present) clad targets/coinage.

If only folks had any form/idea of what history/value is in the Earth that is beyond 12" deep........ would be a total life-changing/game-changing epiphany.
February 14, 2015 03:06PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this to implicate there would be no exercise of
> prudence in the usage of a high powered tool?
>
> In Florida, most places/many times..... the first
> foot of soil only produces the (1965 - present)
> clad targets/coinage.
>
> If only folks had any form/idea of what
> history/value is in the Earth that is beyond 12"
> deep........ would be a total
> life-changing/game-changing epiphany.
WOW! This had got me thinking..... My property is located in a valley with 2 lakes at the bottom. When I dug my basement for a room addition I had 6ft of black loamy soil before I hit clay. So there's been lots of soil brought to the bottom over the years. My property used to be an old fishing resort and I routinely dig piles of pull tabs at 10 inches. It never dawned on me that there may be coins below that level before now!