Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just traded that aluminum digging Deus for a CTX...

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Just traded that aluminum digging Deus for a CTX...
February 13, 2015 08:28PM
It'll take the place of the Deus as a backup for the CoRe.
Re: Just traded that aluminum digging Deus for a CTX...
February 13, 2015 08:57PM
I still have my aluminum LOVING Deus. Hoping the next software upgrade HATES aluminum! I know I do.
I certainly understand your frustration/aggravation. I share it.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 13, 2015 09:06PM
I dig old places. Aluminum is not really a factor for me. I hope you enjoy the CTX. If it weighed less I would still have mine. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the performance. I just ordered the Racer today. I look forward to using it. Now I just need Spring temps.
February 13, 2015 09:09PM
.......backup to the CoRe.

That's pretty awesome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2015 09:11PM by BHMACK.
February 14, 2015 04:26AM
So Jack you can avoid digging Aluminum on the Co Re? How about bottle caps and tin?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 14, 2015 04:30AM
No way would a ctx be a backup to anything for me.
February 14, 2015 04:35AM
Deathray, if the site is reeeeeeeeeeal trashy, polluted, junky, with iron bits, the CTX could easily play second fiddle to a CoRe unit with small coil. Now if you just dug everything the CTX sputters on you would dig some good targets eventually, but in places Jack hunts you'd probably be better off to just dig the whole yard up and bring a sifting box and leave the CTX at home.
February 14, 2015 04:55AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So Jack you can avoid digging Aluminum on the Co
> Re? How about bottle caps and tin?

LB rusty crown bottlecaps are not even in my vocabulary anymore. They are lying all over the ground where we hunt from being dug by other machines. They either disc out for what they really are, or they bounce the TID all over. The key is they overload the machine if it is within a couple of inches of the coil. Raise the coil watch the TID it doesn't hit SOLID like a good target does it's not a good target. If the machine let's one break through for whatever reason, almost always that would be because it is deeper say 4,5, or so inches. When the dirt is moved off the top of it it does not TID or hit like a good target. If it is in the plug it will overload the machine. You never have to put your hand on it. Aluminum screw caps, modern caps let's say ID in the 67-68 range and don't sound like a good target at all. If they get close to the coil they overload too. Now for whatever reason, a smashed flat aluminum screw on cap TID's pretty dang good and sounds good too, to good to not dig but, just off from being a good solid sound, but too good not to see. I'll dig a couple of them a trip seems like for whatever reason. However they will overload the machine also at a couple of inches. The secret to the core is it locks on TID wise to a superb target hit sound wise and pretty much stays there even in a half inch swing with other material in the swing zone or edges. Isolates like nothing I've ever ran. Lot's of nuances that are very revealing once you let the machine teach you. DI3 language is superb for unmaking a good target, ya gotta have them WOW moments yourself to believe it.

Detectors used
Nokta FoRs CoRe, Makro R1, Makro R2X2, ETrac, 3030, Compadre, several others.
Obama put this country in the toilet, vote for Hilderbeast and she'll pull the handle
February 14, 2015 04:59AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Deathray, if the site is reeeeeeeeeeal trashy,
> polluted, junky, with iron bits, the CTX could
> easily play second fiddle to a CoRe unit with
> small coil. Now if you just dug everything the
> CTX sputters on you would dig some good targets
> eventually, but in places Jack hunts you'd
> probably be better off to just dig the whole yard
> up and bring a sifting box and leave the CTX at
> home.

And we have seriously thought about doing some sifting.............
February 14, 2015 05:03AM
Tn...I dont even own a ctx...All my sites are loaded with iron,theyre gold rush mining camps...Glad yall like the core. Still waiting for that video.
February 14, 2015 05:08AM
I've got about a 5 GB video right now but I think I should reduce it somehow. Like 16 hrs to load it to YouTube once I started so I canceled the loading. Full 1080 HD just might not be where I want to record at lol I'm learning....... Anyone know of a great video editing tool by chance?
February 14, 2015 05:10AM
One thing I like about the CoRe too is in pinpoint its very sharp. You can actually hear the different items with reeeeal small coil movement. In same/similar situations Deus in pinpoint almost useless.
And coins on edge, the small coil lights them up, deep too for such a small coil. The audio is very descriptive, and I don't even use high quality sounding phones. I have commented before, I can tell more with tone using CoRe with no headphones on a calm day vs F75LTD2 using headphones.
February 14, 2015 07:54AM
ncwayne Wrote:
> I still have my aluminum LOVING Deus. Hoping the
> next software upgrade HATES aluminum! I know I
> do.
> I certainly understand your
> frustration/aggravation. I share it.

$2,000.00 to dig aluminum?..(hot damn!)
whooda thunk!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 14, 2015 07:56AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Deathray, if the site is reeeeeeeeeeal trashy,
> polluted, junky, with iron bits, the CTX could
> easily play second fiddle to a CoRe unit with
> small coil. Now if you just dug everything the
> CTX sputters on you would dig some good targets
> eventually, but in places Jack hunts you'd
> probably be better off to just dig the whole yard
> up and bring a sifting box and leave the CTX at
> home.

this is "missing" the "fun" factor!
i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 14, 2015 12:23PM
ncwayne Wrote:
> I still have my aluminum LOVING Deus. Hoping the
> next software upgrade HATES aluminum! I know I
> do.
> I certainly understand your
> frustration/aggravation. I share it.

I would be very unhappy indeed if any detector i owned was not able to find aluminium.

Discing out Aluminium is equally hazardous as many targets including small siver Cut halves and Hammered coins of from 300 to 1000 years old all live in the aluminium spectrum.
Also you disc out bottle caps at your peril.Many bottle caps will also live in the same zone as medium and large silver relics.

Iron is the only thing you should disc out and i minimize that too to as little as possible.
Like some one else says on here.

Discrimination is the source of all Evil and that counts for every where not just over here in the uk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2015 12:23PM by whigsvolt.
February 14, 2015 12:27PM
Hiya Jack,

Hmmm...all teccies 'like aluminium!'...and the CEE TEE EX is no Xception!

But like you, I quit using the D*** last summer 'cos it [ wouldn't see ] euro coins [ on -edge ] on the beach dry sand and Yes, I've been with the D since the beginnings and have the latest s/w installed and tried every program and all of that...
Switched over to an F 19 and didn't let it go for a while!

Des D
February 14, 2015 01:13PM
Des we hunt in aluminum heaven. Lot's of can slaw like you wouldn't believe at these old home site teardowns. The local natives pic up the aluminum and metal and sell it. Shopping buggies full of it really. The Deus's nemesis is can slaw. However with the CoRe it sounds different than a good target and does not lock in TID wise. The CTX should be about like the ETrac I ran for almost 4 years. I can handle that just not an aluminum magnet like the Deus.
February 14, 2015 01:57PM
This tread is the perfect example to show why conditions and the targets sought after in them, are the number one determining factor as to what detector a hunter uses (cost not part of the equation).

Features, weight, water proof, etc. play second fiddle.

If you have the lightest, easiest to use, deepest, blah, blah blah unit, and it can't handle the conditions nor sniff out the intended targets for ones needs, it does not stay in ones arsenal very long.
February 14, 2015 02:07PM
whigsvolt Wrote:
> ncwayne Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I still have my aluminum LOVING Deus. Hoping
> the
> > next software upgrade HATES aluminum! I know I
> > do.
> > I certainly understand your
> > frustration/aggravation. I share it.
>
> I would be very unhappy indeed if any detector i
> owned was not able to find aluminium.
>
> Discing out Aluminium is equally hazardous as many
> targets including small siver Cut halves and
> Hammered coins of from 300 to 1000 years old all
> live in the aluminium spectrum.
> Also you disc out bottle caps at your peril.Many
> bottle caps will also live in the same zone as
> medium and large silver relics.
>
> Iron is the only thing you should disc out and i
> minimize that too to as little as possible.
> Like some one else says on here.
>
> Discrimination is the source of all Evil and that
> counts for every where not just over here in the
> uk.

Totally agree with this post....especially the last bit about discrim....too many targets overlap to successfully just notch out 1 individual metal.
Ger.
February 14, 2015 02:43PM
Rover you are exactly right. I tend to look at good finds vs trash finds, the ratio does not need to lean heavily to the trash side. Some great finds are being made with the Deus but the coinshooters have a very high trash to good finds ratio. All metal will do that for me. I've been intrigued by the CTX for a long time being a huge ML fbs fan for many years. Just wanna do some slow park hunTing sometimes.
February 14, 2015 03:00PM
Jack,Everyone knows the Deus is for hunting in iron...not good for cladhunting in modern trash.
February 14, 2015 03:15PM
The CTX has a lot of secrets to unlock. I jumped on the Minelab wagon with the Quattro, then went to an Explorer II, then got an eTrac. Now having the CTX, I can see where they've improved them over the years. But there are still several areas that even the CTX falls short in. I'm not anywhere near where I would like to be with the machine but it does have some quirks I don't like but at the same time, it does have some things I really like.

My #1 complaint is the bad battery life. Using top of the line alkaline batteries...is a waste on this machine. You'll go through them fast. I'm on my 3rd set and I've only had the machine a couple weeks, and have only really been in my yard and a couple local sites for short periods of time. The rechargables are going to be the route to go.
February 14, 2015 03:26PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> The CTX has a lot of secrets to unlock. I jumped
> on the Minelab wagon with the Quattro, then went
> to an Explorer II, then got an eTrac. Now having
> the CTX, I can see where they've improved them
> over the years. But there are still several areas
> that even the CTX falls short in. I'm not
> anywhere near where I would like to be with the
> machine but it does have some quirks I don't like
> but at the same time, it does have some things I
> really like.
>
> My #1 complaint is the bad battery life. Using
> top of the line alkaline batteries...is a waste on
> this machine. You'll go through them fast. I'm
> on my 3rd set and I've only had the machine a
> couple weeks, and have only really been in my yard
> and a couple local sites for short periods of
> time. The rechargables are going to be the route
> to go.

Wait until you've used that machine for a "couple months" Danial

if you're a ML lover = you're REALLY gonna love the CTX

once you start unlocking all of it's little secrets and using them to your advantage = it'll be hard to put the machine down/choose another to hunt with for the day! lol
(PS = the 6" coil is a must have for iron/trash work) and that includes modern trash...
February 14, 2015 04:28PM
Great thread guys. Lots of good information from some really good detectorists.
February 14, 2015 04:41PM
whigsvolt Wrote:
> ncwayne Wrote:
> -----
> > I still have my aluminum LOVING Deus. Hoping
> the
> > next software upgrade HATES aluminum! I know I
> > do.
> > I certainly understand your
> > frustration/aggravation. I share it.
>
> I would be very unhappy indeed if any detector i
> owned was not able to find aluminium.
>
> Discing out Aluminium is equally hazardous as many
> targets including small siver Cut halves and
> Hammered coins of from 300 to 1000 years old all
> live in the aluminium spectrum.
> Also you disc out bottle caps at your peril.Many
> bottle caps will also live in the same zone as
> medium and large silver relics.
>
> Iron is the only thing you should disc out and i
> minimize that too to as little as possible.

You seem to misunderstand my post.
I am obviously NOT discing out aluminum, or I wouldn't be cleaning every shard of it out of my spots <g>.
My frustration is that my Deus (and I) can't seem to tell the difference between small shards of aluminum and good targets, no matter how hard I try.
That is my point regarding aluminum loving and hating. Perhaps there is something that can be done in the software to better distinguish between aluminum shards and other items/metals.

I certainly agree that some sites call for certain detector characteristics and functions, while other sites call for different detector attributes.
I have a stable of detectors (not a Noah's Ark like some of you <g>); a very modest collection, and I enjoy following one with the other in my sites. It adds to the interest and each seems to find its own targets that the others have not yet found.
Have I used the Deus where it is probably not most suitable? Sure I have. Have you? Have I made some excellent finds among the aluminum? Of course I have. Do I like digging aluminum? Well I have a nice, toasted but nice, token from Danville, VA that is made of aluminum and probably dates to the 1930s-40s. I'd just like to be able to make a little more sense of the tones and TIDs the Deus provides. Granted, my ears are not great, but I can tell that the Deus changes the shape of the tones just by swinging a little higher or lower over the target. Now that's aggravating.

Am I giving up on the Deus? Of course not; it' a tremendous machine. I'm working on getting better with it. I just hope that XP is working on it getting better with me, that's all I'm saying.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

February 14, 2015 05:00PM
Pin point on the deus is a time saver and it always right on for me...maybe your machine was not working...I love iron on the deus I dig a lot of 90-91 and it can be junk iron or a horse shoe or old tools. As far as aluminum yeah it does suck and in the Gold Country where I dig there can and will be anything in the dirt. And it is a pain but I have to live with it...Parks in lots of trash (pain) but in parks that are more mild and there are some out there...I love the deus...It does love tiny targets and they seem to come to life...but you are also using the small coil and that would be killer in any type of hunting...now on your videos you will have to show how your detector Jack sounds in trash and aluminum so we can hear what you hear. And yes edit it...I see too many videos where the hunter takes ten minutes to dig a crown cap or penny. Dig you hole pin point and pull the target out..EDIT my friend

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 14, 2015 05:07PM
ncwayne,

Have you tried setting up a 4 kHz program and testing it over some different aluminum targets and getting an idea how they ID and sound, vs what they sound and ID on one of your normal programs ( which I assume may be running in 12 or 18 kHz frequency).

If you set something up where there is a difference, it may be advantageous to then switch over to the 4kHz you set up when you have a target in doubt as to whether it's aluminum trash or not.

One of the advantages the Deus has is the ability to run in different frequencies, and sometimes that ability can help in IDing targets.

Bottom line though, trashy park hunting with lots of aluminum is a major challenge.
February 14, 2015 05:15PM
ncwayne Wrote:
> whigsvolt Wrote:
> -----
> > ncwayne Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I still have my aluminum LOVING Deus. Hoping
> > the
> > > next software upgrade HATES aluminum! I know
> I
> > > do.
> > > I certainly understand your
> > > frustration/aggravation. I share it.
> >
> > I would be very unhappy indeed if any detector
> i
> > owned was not able to find aluminium.
> >
> > Discing out Aluminium is equally hazardous as
> many
> > targets including small siver Cut halves and
> > Hammered coins of from 300 to 1000 years old
> all
> > live in the aluminium spectrum.
> > Also you disc out bottle caps at your
> peril.Many
> > bottle caps will also live in the same zone as
> > medium and large silver relics.
> >
> > Iron is the only thing you should disc out and
> i
> > minimize that too to as little as possible.
>
> You seem to misunderstand my post.
> I am obviously NOT discing out aluminum, or I
> wouldn't be cleaning every shard of it out of my
> spots .
> My frustration is that my Deus (and I) can't seem
> to tell the difference between small shards of
> aluminum and good targets, no matter how hard I
> try.
> That is my point regarding aluminum loving and
> hating. Perhaps there is something that can be
> done in the software to better distinguish between
> aluminum shards and other items/metals.
>
> I certainly agree that some sites call for certain
> detector characteristics and functions, while
> other sites call for different detector
> attributes.
> I have a stable of detectors (not a Noah's Ark
> like some of you ); a very modest collection, and
> I enjoy following one with the other in my sites.
> It adds to the interest and each seems to find its
> own targets that the others have not yet found.
> Have I used the Deus where it is probably not most
> suitable? Sure I have. Have you? Have I made some
> excellent finds among the aluminum? Of course I
> have. Do I like digging aluminum? Well I have a
> nice, toasted but nice, token from Danville, VA
> that is made of aluminum and probably dates to the
> 1930s-40s. I'd just like to be able to make a
> little more sense of the tones and TIDs the Deus
> provides. Granted, my ears are not great, but I
> can tell that the Deus changes the shape of the
> tones just by swinging a little higher or lower
> over the target. Now that's aggravating.
>
> Am I giving up on the Deus? Of course not; it' a
> tremendous machine. I'm working on getting better
> with it. I just hope that XP is working on it
> getting better with me, that's all I'm saying.

It would have to be a pretty amazing piece of software that removed and was able to tell the difference between Aluminium and say Silver from the menu on your detector.

Its really si all about Ferrous and non ferrous objects and the levels of discrimination and or Notch that you employ in your detecting session.

The problem lies with the fact that there are billions of pieces of Aluminium in its varied sizes buried all over our land,and whether it is a Pull ring, and or Tab,Bottle Cap, shredded or slithers of Aluminium, Foil, and tiny fragments of the worlds most abundant metal on our beaches, i just don,t see any way to eliminate it completely without loosing other valuable targets.

Many of our top finds in the uk are small and large silver and even gold relics with many of these targets showing an identical audio and numeric measurement to Aluminium foil, Bottle caps, soda can fragments and the list is endless., so sadly we both have to dig them all no matter how painful it becomes.

The Deus is a superb detector in the right hands and should be regarded as such based on the money we all pay for the technology and the same can be said for the many other top names in that price bracket.

Over the last 30 years of detecting i have come across many new even experienced detectorist,s who descrim out Bottle caps,Pull tabs and the like using the notch feature on their detector and i think the notch feature should be banned on most if not all detectors, just my Opinion, but i can understand fully why people choose to do so especially in the hugely choked up junk filled inner city parks, but even then you will miss out on the clad and other good potentially valuable targets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2015 05:16PM by whigsvolt.
February 14, 2015 05:52PM
Hey therover61,
No, I haven't done that yet. I've seen it before and Ed Huffman suggested that very thing to me yesterday via email.

This is the text of his reply:

Yes I can help you with cutting down the amount of trash you dig with the Deus. One way is if you get a solid good signal swing back and forth over the target as usual and slightly back off of it .... if it stays solid and good its a good target if it turns to a low tone or grunt its trash. Also, you can create identical programs lets say in slot 11 and 12... all you do is change the frequency ...if the main program is 8khz or 12 khz then change the frequency in the identical program to 4khz or 18khz ....so now if you get one of those good targets just push the button to switch to the next program and check it and if its good its a good target and if it sounds crackling or low then its bad. Let me know if this helps you? Thank you, Ed

I'm sure Ed won't mind if his comments help others besides me.

I'll definitely give both of these suggestions a try.
Thanks.

Pleasant Garden, NC

February 14, 2015 05:59PM
That is a technique that Monte came up with several decades ago that he used for classifying shallow rusty bottle caps. He called it "Edge Pass Rejection" look it up on his website AHRPS.ORG under tips&tricks on the homepage. I was using it 20 years ago not knowing anything about Monte or his tests.