Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Finds so far from early 1865 confed camp

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Finds so far from early 1865 confed camp
February 16, 2015 12:35AM
I figure I've hunted the site for about 19 days averaging 4 hours/visit (76 hours).
Last hunt was yesterday and I found 1 period shotgun slug and a few pieces of camp lead and thin brass.
I thought I'd combine all the finds from this site for a group photo. I noticed the picture has a couple of small modern bullets I didn't mean to include.
The F75SE upgrade was really on its game yesterday. SWEET!!

Thanks for looking.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: Finds so far from early 1865 confed camp
February 16, 2015 12:45AM
Hi,,,,,Holy Cow now that's kicking Butt.........Thanks for sharing............JJ
February 16, 2015 12:49AM
That's a nice collection of lead and brass, I hope you find the tongue that goes with the wreath......congrats
February 16, 2015 01:00AM
hey,you cut off the wreath! Nice bunch o finds,youve been busy!
February 16, 2015 02:13AM
I love those CS slugs. That wreath is nice as well.

Joereb
February 16, 2015 02:15AM
Can I go detecting with you?smiling smiley nice finds
February 16, 2015 02:16AM
Nice haul!
February 16, 2015 02:19AM
Holy cats good job

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 16, 2015 03:26AM
NCWaye: What settings are you running with the new upgrade? I just upgraded and haven't had a chance to run it due to the weather. Dang cold! PS: Congrats on the great finds.
February 16, 2015 03:43AM
bp process, 70 sensitivity, 5 disc, 2L tones. dirt is quite mild in mineral; lowest reading on scale, occasionally going to 2nd lowest reading. was using 99 sensitivity until somebody suggested lower sensitivity might help settle TID. I think it helps. bP process helps due to low stubble in field. bullets and brass jump up into high 60 and low to mid 70s. TIDs that are mainly 53s with quick jumps into mid 60s and low 70s and then drop back have indicated, quite often, small round shot such as buckshot or buck'n ball balls.
I have dug approx 40 lbs of plow points and aluminum, too. It's not a perfect world <g>.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

February 16, 2015 04:10AM
Thanks NC Wayne. Great summary. Are you finding the Disc mode better than AM with the upgrade? I may have misinterpreted what I read, but it seems the Disc mode got a boost with the upgrade (on depth), but AM took a hit. Maybe I am wrong.

Also, using the stock 11" coil?

Lastly, (sorry to pepper you with questions), but what are you seeing on deep targets? Any TID? Bouncy TID?

I really appreciate the guidance. Please keep your great comments on the forum coming!

Chuck
February 16, 2015 05:53AM
VERY WELL DONE NCWayne!!!!! You had yourself some good fun right there, I can tell!!!! Congrats. Great pic of some great finds!!!!
February 16, 2015 06:40AM
Your questions are fine, Chuck, no problem. Frankly, I like 2L tones so much (quiet, but audible iron tones) that I rarely visit AM side. So, can't speak to AM depth issue. Yes, stock 11" coil (so far). Occasional readings of 11 and 12 inches during PP with above settings (70 sens 5 disc, 2L tones) but these deep PPs have been large iron falses. Good recoveries have been typically 5 to 9 inches. I've dug some 22 cal bullets and tiny frags of aluminum, brass and lead at 7 and 8 inches. I truly believe if a bullet lies at 9, 10, 11 inches, It will signal. I start most hunts with a minie and crinkled (original CW) NC state seal coat button front (both wrapped in thin foam sheeting) laying on the ground and checking what they register. Generally air test at 11 to 13 inches (estimated holdover height for a strong signal with 2 to 4 inches more for a faint signal) with the minie reading 2 to 4 inches more than the button front. Minie registers mid 60s to low to mid 70s. Button front registers high 60s to mid 70s with occasional spikes up into low 80s.
I'll dig steady 40s and 50s if sound is right. (I've dug some sweet sounding hight 20s). I'll dig broken signals if I see spikes into 60s and above. Honestly, most of these lower readings yield foil and round rusty iron or wadded aluminum at some depth, but I dig them to keep myself honest 'cause I don't want to leave a good target behind.
If all this sounds so precise that you're thinking I must be really good at this, it really isn't, and I'm really not <g>. All of this is to my best recollection, and it changes day to day to some extent. My recollection, too. But if you do it enough (and that's key), some patterning will develop. My aim, and perspective, is to do it as much as I can, try to learn from everything I dig, and enjoy it all.

Pleasant Garden, NC

February 16, 2015 01:41PM
ncwayne -

Question about one of your finds. What is the large greenish stone like object in the right of center of second row. It's kind of pointed shape on the top edge and
flat.

I ask because I have found something similar.

Thanks
February 16, 2015 01:59PM
Good digs. Nothing better than being on a known rebel site and seeing that green in a plug. Gotta be some more buttons in there
February 16, 2015 06:58PM
Nice finds buddy.
February 16, 2015 07:38PM
Nice haul of artifacts there ncwayne

looks like a whole lotta diggin and a whole lotta fun ;-)

Would love to see that wreath in another picture by itself .
February 17, 2015 03:18AM
jak135 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ncwayne -
>
> Question about one of your finds. What is the
> large greenish stone like object in the right of
> center of second row. It's kind of pointed shape
> on the top edge and
> flat.
>
> I ask because I have found something similar.
>
> Thanks

It's a heavy piece of brass or bronze, I believe. Broken off of what, I don't know. It's got that CW period look to it; but I don't have a clue.
It's approx 2 in long x 1 in wide and appears to be of cast metal.

Pleasant Garden, NC

February 17, 2015 03:53AM
That last piece is a remnents of a bayonet frog...

Nice digs..

Like the wreath..

Im still loooking for the tounge to the wreath I dug 30 years ago....sort of hard to do since a neigborhood is on top of where I dug it though LOL!!

Nice dig's..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 18, 2015 07:28PM
WTG NC!!! Bad back for a week with all that digging....but boy would it be worth it! Great bunch of finds

Keith you have a eye for ID'ing the old stuff
February 18, 2015 08:26PM
That's a lot of lead! Love that wreath buckle too!

I hope to find one of those on the west coast one day, they do turn up from time to time.

HH,
Brian
February 19, 2015 08:48PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That last piece is a remnents of a bayonet
> frog...
>
> Nice digs..
>
> Like the wreath..
>
> Im still loooking for the tounge to the wreath I
> dug 30 years ago....sort of hard to do since a
> neigborhood is on top of where I dug it though
> LOL!!

Turn some moles loose there and then offer your services <g>

Pleasant Garden, NC

February 20, 2015 01:24AM
Nice Finds!