Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Where coould I find a Trow Shadow X5

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Where coould I find a Trow Shadow X5
February 16, 2015 08:25PM
I bought one from a Forum member here. And before I even used it good......like a fool......I sold the blasted thing!!!!! It came with a hard case and several coils. what was I thinking!!!!! A 19 khz machine with phenomenal depth. And do you know why I sold it? Because it didn't have a numerical ID. If I had know then what I know now I would have kept that unit.
And I got it at a great price. I know that they SAY that lightning doesn't strike in the same spot twice......but I'll ask anyway, does anyone of you have a Shadow X5 with a DD coil??? Fingers crossed.
Re: Where coould I find a Trow Shadow X5
February 16, 2015 08:41PM
Kevin I sent you a PM

Hombre
February 16, 2015 08:59PM
Hi Kevin,,,,that's the type of machine I run no VDI........There's one on TD...........JJ
February 16, 2015 09:47PM
Thank you guys!!!! I appreciate the quick responses!!! Hombre, I responded to your PM and I appreciate it!!!!!
February 16, 2015 10:14PM
Kevin B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bought one from a Forum member here. And before
> I even used it good......like a fool......I sold
> the blasted thing!!!!! It came with a hard case
> and several coils. what was I thinking!!!!! A 19
> khz machine with phenomenal depth. And do you know
> why I sold it? Because it didn't have a numerical
> ID. If I had know then what I know now I would
> have kept that unit.
> And I got it at a great price. I know that
> they SAY that lightning doesn't strike in the same
> spot twice......but I'll ask anyway, does anyone
> of you have a Shadow X5 with a DD coil??? Fingers
> crossed.

I love my X5 with the 5" coil, as far as unmasking it's unbelievable, I buried a dime 7" down with 2 rusted 16 penny nails 1 on each side of the dime, the X5 hit's the dime hard no matter what direction I swing the coil. they are keepers that's for sure. and light 2.5 lbs lighter with the 5" coil
February 16, 2015 10:49PM
Richard at Backwoods detectors has one.
February 17, 2015 03:18AM
I think its the sexiest detector ever made! Dang good lookin!
February 17, 2015 03:47AM
I talked to Troy earlier today..

I think he's done...No new machine coming this way it sounds...

never would of thought it but he told me that he spent half a million on tooling and injection molding plastic on the X5..

said he never sold enough to even get half that back...

Sad in away.. said he had a great design on the drawing board to Boot..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 05:10AM by Keith Southern.
February 17, 2015 04:28AM
Maybe he should contact Nokta/Makro. You never know they may be able to take his drawing board works and make a detector or incorporate it into one of theirs. At least the work would not be wasted maybe.
February 17, 2015 04:43AM
this is an excellent thought because troy has a "knack" for cutting deals with manufacturers

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 17, 2015 04:51AM
I wish that I had been around when brand new Shadow X5's where to be easily had. It's sad to see a legend throw in the cards. From what I hear, he is a genius concerning metal detecting. And I've heard that he is just a fine man, to boot. His 'out of the box' thinking will be sorely missed.
February 17, 2015 01:46PM
Troy is a great guy. You could pick the phone up and call and talk to him directly. But back in the day, a X5 would have cost you around $900 used. If it had the extra coils and headphones, you were looking at $1,200 easy. This was back when detectors really hadn't passed the $1,000 mark yet and those that were pushing the $1,000 range were target ID machines. It's hard to spend that kind of money for a machine with no tone or visual ID. Especially when the Tesoro Tejon came on the scene for half what the X5 cost, and with similar performance.
February 17, 2015 03:23PM
Down and dirty Troy had some good ideas but its tough for the little guy to get a foothold against the large companies...Nothing against Tesoro but a Tejon is just not an X5.
Indeed Troy is a talented individual and one hopes one of the large companies would add him to their staff....I believe years ago he worked for Tesoro. Good luck finding an X5 as now and then see them on various classifieds...
February 18, 2015 04:27AM
I only wish that I had kept the one that I bought used. It had several coils. But I was all hung up on multi-tones and a visual ID. I was alot newer to detecting then (not that I'm an old hand, now) but I really think that I could appreciate it alot more. 19 khz. Man, I bet that it was a button magnet.
Well, I found one, but now that Troy has thrown in the towel and doesn't service them anymore, I guess that I will just let my brainstorm pass. Maybe someone else will come along with a brain and incentive like Troy's and produce a VLF machine that is designed with 'out of the box' thinking. Til then, I'll just start digging iron grunts until my arms either get as big as Lou Ferrigno's........or they fall off.......or they get arthritic. The latter being the more probable. But heck, it's just a hobby. Good night. all.
By the way, I got a G2 for sale in one of the threads. I think that I have it priced fairly. I suppose the market will let me know. lol Nighty night.
February 18, 2015 07:30AM
Hey Kevin,

Yes, a great machine.
I had one years ago but the thing got sent 'downunder' and I never got it back!
Have looked for another one last year but never actually found one. Maybe this year?

Des D
February 18, 2015 08:44AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Troy is a great guy. You could pick the phone up
> and call and talk to him directly. But back in
> the day, a X5 would have cost you around $900
> used. If it had the extra coils and headphones,
> you were looking at $1,200 easy. This was back
> when detectors really hadn't passed the $1,000
> mark yet and those that were pushing the $1,000
> range were target ID machines. It's hard to spend
> that kind of money for a machine with no tone or
> visual ID. Especially when the Tesoro Tejon came
> on the scene for half what the X5 cost, and with
> similar performance.

yes!.believe this is what "killed the golden goose" ,so to speak!.
apparently his manufacturing,and engineering costs were high,
and the detector's final retail price reflected this!..

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 18, 2015 01:00PM
I had one and to me it was a very deep machine but it had a love for big iron. Now if your a relic hunter that's great but for coin hunting it stinks to dig a foot or more for a big rusty plow attachment. And the selling price new was very high for a beep and dig machine. I did dig some deep CW bullets with the thing though. They still sell used for 400-500 but with the machines that are available in that price range these days I can't see paying that. Heck a Tesoro Vaquero super tuned will get the depth that the Troy X-5 will I tested them side by side. The Troy was a very well built machine though and weather proof to boot.
February 18, 2015 08:51PM
I might be interested in one, too.
February 19, 2015 01:01AM
I was just wondering... how many members here have a Troy detector? I have a X5.....

Tom in SC
February 19, 2015 01:13AM
Hey Tom M...I just picked up one ( mailing out the money order tomorrow ), with 9 and 7 inch coils. I had one awhile back and done very well with it. Shouldn't have sold it...found me several nice pieces of gold jewelry beach hunting in the dry sand.

May have to look for the 5x10 DD after awhile but my soil conditions aren't too bad and concentric coils do just fine where I hunt so no rush.
February 19, 2015 04:13AM
I also have the X5. I have both the 9 inch and 5X10 coil. If you have bad mineral the 5X10 is the way to go. And both very deep. In ground testing I can get a dime at 14 inches and much deeper on a quarter. This is with the descrim turned way down. Didn't the first 500 or so units have the adjustable threshold and then after that they did away with the knob? Not sure. Im looking for a coil that has the extra long coil wire, approx. 8 feet. Troy made a handful of these for the water hunting guys. You could then take the box off the stem and wear it around your chest. If anyone has one of these coils let me know and I will pay a premium for it. Thanks, Steve
February 19, 2015 10:38PM
Ive had a few X5's and they all are a little different by serial number ...and yes they are all deep..

0-300 had a iron mod done to them...they seemed to dig more nails than some people liked so Troy did some sort of mod to the first 300 by doing a recall to fix this...Ive had both the modded and original and could not tell a difference hardly...if its a below 300 unit it should have the letter H on a sticker inside the battery box showing its modded...no letter H sticker than its original..300 on up had the mod in them from the factory.

0-700 I believe was the ones that could be supertuned by the threshold knob on the bottom of the housing....Supertuning being that the louder you cranked the threshold up in all metal the louder and more saturated the audio report would become in disc mode...you could get the machine really sparky by supertuning actually to the point that perception was lost..but there was also a catch.....if you mistakingly turned the threshold way down (and it could happen by the location of the Knob on bottom of housing) you would actually cause low performance to the machine in disc mode and never know it if you did not keep check on the all metal mode thresh volume....So Troy went inside on the 700+ units and added a factory set threshold when the mode switch was in disc...this bypassed the extrnal control and activated the internal control ..and he was not as aggresive on the setting as you could get it to on the external models...not weak mind you, but not super hot like you could get it...I like to look for the 700 and below units myself...

theres also other things as time went on.. but small things...

Now this is all from memory..

one thing that I really like on the X5 is the pinpoint...it was calibrated for a dime and only worked to 8 inches...if you get a good hit and pinpoint and it's not there you better dig....it's a good chance it's a goodie in the older layer depth..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 19, 2015 11:42PM
Interesting info on the pinpoint mode. I found the Explorer II to be similar . When it said deep silver and the pinpoint would not hit the target you starting thinking Seated ......
February 20, 2015 01:10AM
therover61 Wrote:
> Hey Tom M...I just picked up one ( mailing out the
> money order tomorrow ), with 9 and 7 inch coils. I
> had one awhile back and done very well with it.
> Shouldn't have sold it...found me several nice
> pieces of gold jewelry beach hunting in the dry
> sand.
>
> May have to look for the 5x10 DD after awhile but
> my soil conditions aren't too bad and concentric
> coils do just fine where I hunt so no rush.

Was that the one on the depot? I was almost in on that, a friend was telling me how great it was, I was curious to test it out.
February 20, 2015 01:41AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:

> Was that the one on the depot? I was almost in on
> that, a friend was telling me how great it was, I
> was curious to test it out.

Yes...thought it was a pretty good deal with 2 coils and extra lower rod. Looks if great shape. Hope it works as well as the other X5's I had. Always liked those units.
February 23, 2015 04:54PM
I also have 1 with a 9" and 5" coil
February 23, 2015 08:20PM
tmanly Wrote:
> I was just wondering... how many members here have
> a Troy detector? I have a X5.....
>
> Tom in SC

I have two X5's and an X3. Havent used than in a spell though.
February 24, 2015 02:15AM
Streak's bogarting the Troy's