Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deus, what is the secret ??

Posted by detectojer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deus, what is the secret ??
February 17, 2015 12:31AM
I have been reading a lot of the detecting forums and see that their are a lot of Deus fans out there. I had two of them 2 years ago and gave up on them because I couldn't get any depth with them. I had two because I thought the first one was bad so I got a second one to compare it to the first one. Neither one impressed me in the depth department. I wanted to use it on the beach (fresh water ) so I buried some coins at 8 inches and tried every setting I could including changing frequency's and the Deus would not see it. I even read Andy's book and used some of his programs. I tried it at other sites that I know have silver coins and the deepest I found any thing was maybe 6". So does anyone have any ideas were I went wrong, I would like to get another because I really like the light weight and wireless headphones but I want to be sure I can get the performance out of it that others do.
Re: Deus, what is the secret ??
February 17, 2015 12:46AM
All I can say is for the deeper finds, key settings are Reactivity setting of 0 or 1, and silencer -1. And remember on the latest version 3.2, the silencer setting will be set default level 3 in Reactivity settings 3-5, not so with Reactivity settings of 0,1 and 2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 12:49AM by tnsharpshooter.
February 17, 2015 12:51AM
The above info incorrect, since I can't edit here's the correct:

All I can say is for the deeper finds, key settings are Reactivity setting of 0 or 1, and silencer -1. And remember on the latest version 3.2, the silencer setting will be set default level -1 in Reactivity settings 3-5, not so with Reactivity settings of 0,1 and 2.
February 17, 2015 01:17AM
Add TX power to 3 and in dirt it is very deep

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 17, 2015 04:27PM
and make sure you do a manual ground balance.
February 17, 2015 04:38PM
When you put those setting on there then sell it and buy an E Trac for deep silver. I hunt with several Deus owners and they do well with them but I've had them come and compare signals and they just can't see it or ID's it wrong on some of the dimes I've have located. Frustrates them when they say they wouldn't dig that signal and I pull a Merc out at 8+".
February 17, 2015 04:44PM
And to be fair, have the Deus users been over any dimes, your etrac didn't see???
February 17, 2015 04:53PM
It wont I.d. correctly at depth...it's all in the audio and digging the deeper sounding smoother round hits..

keep silencer off..negative one...18 khz and according to your dirt reactivity will be 2 or 3...good to medium use 2..medium to harsh use 3...

it can go quite deep but does not offer strong assurance to what your about to dig at depth like a CTX will..

New version may help on the deep iron .I hear he has figured out a way. To correctly I.d. iron at depth...maybe this will mean correctly I.d ing at depth on all targets..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 17, 2015 05:00PM
Yeah for me it if sounds good I dig it no matter what I can hear the iron but on a very deep target I dig just about anything I get a hit on...now because the deus does give a lot of info you may pass on targets that don't sound good but for me if I get a tone I dig it even iron and I have found some cool iron. On the old 1920 gas nozzle I got a buzzy tone and said what the %%# and dug it and that is one of my coolest finds so far and have it in my office at home so each detector talks a different way and you have to understand it to get the good stuff

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 09:17PM by Lawrenzo.
February 17, 2015 05:42PM
I actually expect to see some great further enhancements from XP through implementation of new revision updates. Deus still a very good unit. Unit's respect should remain intact; regardless of what else is out there. No other detector company has introduced wireless-total, with as good a audio (not delayed, more real time) using wireless headphones. And the relic hunters when the weather straightens up will be out in force with them. And I'm sure we will see some of the finds and hunt videos as well.
February 17, 2015 05:52PM
I find TX power 3 offers no increased depth at all it just uses more battery power i think Alain himself has said so.
February 17, 2015 06:52PM
Manual or pump GB
Sensitivity 85-90 if stable
Reactive 1-2 "you must swing slower with the lower reactive settings"
Silencer -1

And of course TX 3 if EMI is not bad.

Now that being said, if the ground is highly mineralized, you'll have to increase reactivity to 3 or more and of course that takes the depth away. But if the ground is bad, that is why you have depth issues. In good ground the Deus should easily hit a 8-10" dime.
One final note, if the ground is trashy, then that will affect depth.
February 17, 2015 09:25PM
Bad ground is going to always be a problem so GB and then re GB my ground I run it at 90 almost always...if you read Andy's book you will see programs that run at TX 3 and maybe you have to have the other programs entered with the right setting to see a difference but I do notice I get better depth now I run my Reactivity a lot a 1-2 less I'm in a lot of iron and yes you have to slow down your swing speed. An old habbit I formed when I first started to hunt was when swinging no matter what speed if you got a tone or broken tone I would go back and slow down a bit...And a lot of the times it truned out to be a good target...My deus is very deep sometimes to deep when I'm tired found a mini ball the other day a 12 inches that is deep in my dirt

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

February 17, 2015 11:05PM
I will second what Sanjuro says about TX Power. No noticeable difference between TX2 and TX3 but the constant drain of your coil battery.
February 17, 2015 11:21PM
I get a whole day of hunting on TX power 3

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

February 18, 2015 01:51AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And to be fair, have the Deus users been over any
> dimes, your etrac didn't see???

No they haven't. But I found silver on edge with the F75-2 that neither the Deus or ET see. Not sure of their settings though. We are hunting sites that have decent ground and another that has a lot of trash from buildings being torn down. Even then I can see their target but granted I may not have found it with out them pointing it out in the trash. I'm using an 11 to their 9" in the trash. Both are attending a XP Deus seminar this Saturday that is being conducted by Andy Sabish in Kings Mtn, NC. Not sure of details. Seems to be a good turnout from all the different people that have told me of it.
February 18, 2015 02:34AM
There is no perfect detector I'm sure there are targets they can hit you can't and I'm sure that is true for a lot of detectors out there on edge that is a tough one..The deus gave no tone or grunt or ID? I have dug a few targets on edge so when I get a hit I do a 180 on the target and if the tone or VID changes I will dig it or if it for better or worse. Some guys go by sound alone I dig more targets then I have to or want to but sometimes I find something I would have passed on. I look at it this way if my detector gives me a tone or ID and I'm out hunting then I am going to dig it. The deus I think makes a lot of tergets come to life that may be passed on other units not all but some. I have to wonder on Gary's Video's in the UK when he gets a tone with iron mixed in, he walks away. I wonder what he would have found? Maybe and old lock or rusted gun, or just about anything with their history...but I think he likes coins...But I have to admit throw in a lot of trash and junk and that really does change things and it gets old fast so give me a new small coil on the Deus and it could be a trash hunter..just my thoughts don't take that to the bank smiling smiley

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

February 18, 2015 10:08AM
good GB and basic 1 prog in this guys case

[www.youtube.com]
October 25, 2015 11:52PM
I bought a new Deus WS5 and in April (2015) and at first liked it but that soon changed... dug way too much iron and scrap aluminum. I din't mind aluminum but the iron was ridiculous. I thought, it's just me, give it time. I joined Deus Forums and Face Book groups. No matter what settings I used, it just couldn't match the performance or productivity of my Xterra 705. I ended-up trading it (the Deus) for an Etrac and haven't looked back. I much happier with the Minelab. Sorry if this offends Deus users, but I think the fact that you see so many Deus' for sale confirms that I must not be the only one. It wasn't that I needed good or accurate VID numbers, I have a Blisstool V3 and if you are familiar with those... you know that they are a "single tone" machine without a display and like the Xterra 705... I had much greater productivity/luck with the Blisstool too, than with the Deus...

Gerry
October 26, 2015 12:23AM
Dang, I think you guys just talked me out of trying a Deus.
October 26, 2015 12:30AM
gdzag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bought a new Deus WS5 and in April (2015) and
> at first liked it but that soon changed... dug way
> too much iron and scrap aluminum. I din't mind
> aluminum but the iron was ridiculous. I thought,
> it's just me, give it time. I joined Deus Forums
> and Face Book groups. No matter what settings I
> used, it just couldn't match the performance or
> productivity of my Xterra 705. I ended-up trading
> it (the Deus) for an Etrac and haven't looked
> back. I much happier with the Minelab. Sorry if
> this offends Deus users, but I think the fact that
> you see so many Deus' for sale confirms that I
> must not be the only one. It wasn't that I needed
> good or accurate VID numbers, I have a Blisstool
> V3 and if you are familiar with those... you know
> that they are a "single tone" machine without a
> display and like the Xterra 705... I had much
> greater productivity/luck with the Blisstool too,
> than with the Deus...
>
> Gerry

Sorry to hear your bad luck or disliking of the Deus. Glad you found a unit you like better.

Since this forum gets read by a ton of folks and some of them may be interested or contemplating a Deus.

A few tidbits of info.

Medium and larger iron can yield some pretty good tone of sorts with High (coin like TID). The secret is listening to how the tone comes in and disappears. Is it smooth and with a gradual rise and fall as the coil passes-good nonferous target........... or is it choppy---harsher sounding as the tone builds---more likely iron.

Also as you start running your disc down in the 5-6.5 range the medium sized and larger iron starts to sound pretty good. A person can set up an adjacent program with higher disc like 10-15 and be able to break up some of the larger iron. Pinpointing for size also is another option to weed out the iron.

The tone is key with the Deus. Hearing the good tone and seeing the sliver of horsehoe is what I like to see------dig me.

Any and all good detectors-------make no mistake you will dig occasional iron. If someone tells you they don't====one of 2 things is going on. They don't have their detector set up to its deepest potential or they are pulling your LEG.
October 26, 2015 01:25AM
My buddy and i each bought the Deus a couple years back and shortly thereafter he got frustrated with it also and sold it and moved on to the f 75. I stuck with it and learned the tones and settings and how to adjust them and formed a bond with the deus.
The sites we hunt are old homesteads and I have found way more coins and relics than he has. I have not used any other tones than full tones in the last year and it has opened a whole new world. I would not trade it for any other detector period.