Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Which detector sings the sweetest song?

Posted by Bryannagirl 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Which detector sings the sweetest song?
February 19, 2015 01:57AM
In my humble opinion Minelab seems to have the best sounding detectors. It is almost like they had a musician on staff when the designed their tones - from the X-Terra series, Explorer, Etrac and CTX all of them seem to have a pleasant easy to listen to audio that is also very communicative about what you are hunting. The also do things with there audio that others do not. Why do not other manufactures use Pitch hold. When hunting by ear it is very nice to have the last sweet tone held so you can better determine what you just heard. Every other detector audio I have heard lacks harmony and is just electronic noise. Do not get me wrong their audio works, but it does not sound sweet or pleasant - it is often harsh. One exception I do love the Garrett Bell Tone. Is there other detectors with sweet sounds? Or is it just my ear and they all sing a sweet song.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
Re: Which detector sings the sweetest song?
February 19, 2015 02:05AM
'Train whistle' model Nautilus

Nothing will ever be like it again...

Analog audio bliss....

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 19, 2015 02:11AM
Never used a naughty, but have heard similar comments posted about their sound. The old explorers were/are good too.
February 19, 2015 02:14AM
I like the old tesoros like the deep search 7's and the fisher cz's I was locked in on those machines and as far has the machines today would be the etrac/explorers. But Iam starting to like the v3 I with the adjustable tone settings ect. I guess it comes down to what your own ears like lol.
Corey
February 19, 2015 02:24AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 'Train whistle' model Nautilus
>
> Nothing will ever be like it again...
>
> Analog audio bliss....
>
> Keith

absolutely agree with that Keith pure bliss a joy to use another one i love is Minelab Sovereign XS
February 19, 2015 02:26AM
Yes the old Nautilus machines had a beautiful sound-hard on your hearing though.
February 19, 2015 02:36AM
Never liked the bird sound of the Minelabs in fact I lile te Nautilus that I had for about two years but now I am a grunt tone hunter thats all I need to get excited

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 19, 2015 03:50AM
sweet ''smooth" 'round" modulated coin audio of the 100 khz
high frequency tr's at depth,and similar sound of "'some" (v.l.f.) whites,and
all cz fishers!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 19, 2015 04:05AM
An Explorer II on a 8" plus silver dime . Music to ones ears if they have an ear for music at all . Will stop you in your tracks and you never get tired of that sound/tones....
February 19, 2015 04:11AM
To me the sovereigns tones are WAY better than explorer. Thsts why I never stuck with the explorer...flutey tootey tones.
February 19, 2015 08:27AM
Bryanna, it's personal preference like headphones. Different people hear sounds differently. One man's rap is another man's crap. Or woman's as the case may be.

Minelab's tones might very well have been designed by someone with a musician's ear. But I personally don't care for that type of tooty flutey music.

For enjoying the way it sounds, I would probably pick the cz-3d from the detectors I've had.

As far as nuanced audio telling me what's under the coil, for me it's the AT Pro. Never used the Gold, I assume it would be similar audio in discrimination mode.

Of course a lot of it is kind of a Pavlov's dog type thing. We'd like the sound of a goose honking (or, God forbid, bagpipes) if it meant a lot of good finds.
February 19, 2015 10:28AM
On low conductor targets like buttons....the Whites TDI rings out a sweet tone. It almost audibly says "sweeeeet".

I wonder what octave the Explorer II silver tone actually is. I remember that sound well. It's not as distinct to me on the CTX as of yet but maybe I've not got that area of the scale highlighted for that sound as of yet.
February 19, 2015 02:28PM
Dan I'm with you on the TDI, also my ML Extreme goes " yooooo hoooo" on Gold Basin meteorites---it's like it's calling to you.
February 19, 2015 02:44PM
The CTX is the lesser of all the FBS machines on flutey silver tones , unfortunately . Folks that are into heavy metal type music are probably unable to appreciate the tonal genius of the earlier FBS and BBS machines I suspect.
That being said I still prefer a simple two tone set up for relic hunting or coins in heavy nails.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 02:45PM by silverhound.
February 19, 2015 03:02PM
I like clean crisp sharp tones for high iron areas...I can put up with flute tones in areas with occasional targets. I've never owned a machine with 'roll-over' tones or 'open audio gate' but I believe they would be my favorite for hunting high iron areas. Watching and listening to the Racer on videos, does peak my interest. If the f75 had an open gate, that would be the cats meow.....as long as it kept the depth.

Keith, ( or anyone else) off the top of your head, can you name the units you know of that have the roll over, open gate audio? This may have been covered elsewhere, apologies.
February 19, 2015 03:11PM
Sov. was probably the best when it came to tones....Love the sweet sound of silver.....
February 19, 2015 03:27PM
silverhound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The CTX is the lesser of all the FBS machines on
> flutey silver tones , unfortunately . Folks that
> are into heavy metal type music are probably
> unable to appreciate the tonal genius of the
> earlier FBS and BBS machines I suspect.
> That being said I still prefer a simple two tone
> set up for relic hunting or coins in heavy nails.
Haha,maybe thats why I like the sov! Been a metalhead since 76...my name deathray was given to me by a foreman years ago...he thought Slayer was death metal,lol.
February 19, 2015 03:34PM
Sov GT or ETrac for beautiful music.
February 19, 2015 03:51PM
For me it's Hands down Minelabs

Including the CTX if you have it set certain ways

Next would have to be Whites machines like DFX's, etc
February 19, 2015 07:24PM
I really like the quiet of the F19 or the F75,.... Yes I do turn them ON :-)
Add a little disc and they hunt trash very easy on the brain.

When going for isolated targets, I just love the minelab way of doing things.
Sweet on the ears treshold, that dips away or flips to a tone.

I miss my X-terra 705, audio heaven!

HH
Johnb
February 19, 2015 08:05PM
"A musician DID create the Start-Up tune on the CTX!"
February 19, 2015 08:08PM
The most beautiful music I have EVER heard was played by the Explorers. smiling smiley
February 19, 2015 08:49PM
The sweet silver warble with the proper modulated audio or volume gain adjustment as they call it on the Minelab Etrac/Explorer models. To me the CTX 3030 just didn't quite have it as more digital sounding. The Fisher CZ with it's modulated adjustable audio can be set to have a sweet soft high tone tink on Deep oldies.And last,But not least the Nautilus IIba ,IIb, detectors have this sweet soft modulated Disc. only tone on Deep coins that is super sweet to my ear's!
February 19, 2015 09:09PM
Bryannagirl, I, too feel that the Xterra and Etrac (the only two Minelabs that I have owned) have the sweetest music of the VLF metal detectors. In fact, and this is a bit embarrasing, but I bought the Xterra 705 for two reasons. I had read good reviews of it's performance (although it didn't seem stellar in my ground) and because of the flute/ piccolo -type sounds. It wasn't long before I sold it though, because it made NO music over several of the targets in my garden that other, less expensive machines where 'bleeping' on.
February 19, 2015 10:37PM
There were a few over the years, the White's Goldmaster 66TR, also the White's XLT, Minelab Explorer II, and the Compass Gold Scanner Pro.These detectors were excellent to use in their intended environment, you just had to learn their language.