Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Relic hunting in moderately minerlized ground

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Relic hunting in moderately minerlized ground
February 19, 2015 04:13AM
Of all of you guys and gals who enjoy rescuing Civil War relics from the ground, which VLF unit is your number one "GO TO" unit??? When I go out through the woods in an area that I know was near some Civil War action, I might just happen upon an old homesite. In that case, I carry my 5x10 DD coil in my backpack. Otherwise, I use an F-19 with an 11 inch coil. That 19khz really sings out on those little cuff buttons!!! And if there is a bullet or roundball under the coil.....it will 'see' it too. And the F-19 is equipped with that VCO (still haven't got a clue what that stands for) but I know that it makes deep signals sound quieter and shallow targets louder. It seems to be a 'form' of discrimnation of sorts......that doesn't weaken the units abilities.....depth wise. BUT......my mind is open to something else. So I figured I would just ask you CW relic hunters what YOUR favorite machine is. If ya don't mind. Deus? F75SE? Troy Shadow x5? Whites MXT or MXT Pro? Whites MX-5? (I might not have got that number right). Anyway, I appreciate any feedback. Weather-wise, it's going to be a week or two before I can swing again.....so I can take this time to read some feedback, if anyone cares to participate. For those who do, I appreciate it. For those who don't, that's okay too. After all, it's just a hobby. But a very intriguing one.
Re: Relic hunting in moderately minerlized ground
February 19, 2015 04:24AM
DEUS Set up right in bad ground is hard beat.....if you want to save some cash get the GMP...Or try and find a DTVG if your really strapped..

VCO stands for Voltage Controlled Oscillator.. and its different from the Beep form of audio in that its very proportional to the amount of recieved signal....the weaker the hit the fainter fuzzier it will sound.. the stronger the hit the louder and quackier it will sound duck like...its the oscillator that takes it from a simple beep to the unique buzzy fuzzy quacky sound you hear...

Lots of units now day's use that response...T2/F75 in 2f tone G2/F19 GBpro,, CoRe/Racer 2 tone...Lobo ST...some use it in all metal like the Vaquero tejon etc.. and it offers a very smooth all metal mode...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 09:59PM by Keith Southern.
February 19, 2015 04:31AM
Thanks Keith!!! Funny you should mention the Deus first off!!!! I just sent you a PM concerning the Deus (before I even read this reply!) Might be an omen for me to get a Deus!!!!!!
February 19, 2015 05:25AM
One thing you Kevin you'll notice over some of the warmer ground is the hot spot on your coil when over a target is smaller on some detectors vs others. For instance I have a 10" nickel buried in 4 fe bar ground. My deus units both the 9" and 11" coils bust this nickel hard with loads of play in the coil position and sweep speed and still get a super tone. My newly upgraded F75 will hit the nickel too with the 7x11" coil, but coil position and sweep speed much more critical than deus.
February 19, 2015 03:22PM
I use a G2. Its handled all of the spots I hunt. Most of the civil war spots I have are loaded with deteriorated iron & cut nails. I can hear it but don't dig it. I like it better than my T2se. Now I do use the T2se for coin hunting. It gets the nod there. I just got a F19 & haven't had a chance to use it because of the ground being frozen. Soon though it'll be time. That rat from puxatawny it on my list. winking smiley
February 19, 2015 04:08PM
LOL! Yes, that whistlepig from Puxatawny just HAD to come out of hibernation long enough to give us a hard winter right up til spring-time.
Thanks guys, for your feedback.
February 19, 2015 04:31PM
I have had a lot of detectors over the years and really enjoyed them and talked about how much I like them...the deus is a different beast and a lot of hunters were using them at the GRD hunt last month and we were finding some great buttons mini balls even shells and cannos balls and grape shot...and even more stuff..there were a lot of the new F75 and F19 and I am sure next fall there will be a lot of racers...One of the most important things about a detector is how you understand it or if you do...in heavy trash the deus really for me is hard to hunt with but relic hunting with iron I love it. It can fit in a small backback and has a new software update coming....but the F19 is a nice machine also and maybe better matched with the racer...I think what Keith said is true but also in ground that is low in minerals like parts of where I hunt in the Gold Country and South Carolina I keep the GB on 90...Tom seems to like the racer and the F75 so maybe get rid of the F19 and try one of those

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 19, 2015 05:34PM
Great reply Lawrenzo. Thanks. kevin