Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detecting as Therapy

Posted by Bryannagirl 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detecting as Therapy
February 20, 2015 07:15PM
My three hobbies are Rinding/touring on a motorcycle, Photography, and digging for history. There is a saying in the motorcycle world when things get tough you need some wind therapy. I have been known to take a ride to clear my head. I love photography but I have never found it to be therapeutic. I do find swinging and digging therapeutic. Does anyone else find detecting theraputic? smiling smiley

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
Re: Detecting as Therapy
February 20, 2015 08:22PM
Heck yea! Into the zone and the world goes away when I'm detecting. Make a good find and I'm in cloud nine for a while. Fishing out of a kayak comes close. Golf almost, but the concentration is different.
February 20, 2015 09:09PM
"Make the world go away" and MDing does--watching that coil makes it happen.
February 20, 2015 10:30PM
Absolutely. I suspect most of us do.

(Although my wife isn't sure if I need to detect for therapy, or I need therapy because I detect.)

winking smiley
mike
February 20, 2015 10:36PM
Guess it depends on the individual in questions, but certainly relaxing to myself and imagine quite a few of other swingers....
February 20, 2015 10:59PM
That would be a BIG YES! I get to see the worst in people in my job and been doing so for 20 years now....to get away and hear the tones is just plain R&R. Even coming to the forum and being around folks that get the same thrill from digging is a big help.
February 21, 2015 01:11AM
Need therapy Get a 25 to 30 hp tractor with a blade and front end bucket ---nuff said.
Seems like many here are suffering anxiety complexes with this whole Makro/Nokta drama.
February 21, 2015 01:17AM
Detecting and "knees in the breeze" are both very therapeutic for me. This #*£€¥&!! weather is keeping me from doing both....
February 21, 2015 01:34AM
Absolutely. I was having a bad day,told the wife"Im out of here,going detecting". Foundpeace of mind..
February 21, 2015 03:03AM
I live in a place where the only thing I can detect is frostbite. I could really use some therapy right now been a very tuff couple days and a few more a head.. Maybe I can create some indoor therapy learning and testing my T2 SE2 and my MXT Pro when they arrive next week.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
February 21, 2015 03:06AM
Bryannagirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My three hobbies are Rinding/touring on a
> motorcycle, Photography, and digging for history.
> There is a saying in the motorcycle world when
> things get tough you need some wind therapy. I
> have been known to take a ride to clear my head.
> I love photography but I have never found it to be
> therapeutic. I do find swinging and digging
> therapeutic. Does anyone else find detecting
> theraputic? smiling smiley

me!..very!..it helps to calm me down when i get into one of my
"nutty" moods!..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 21, 2015 03:08AM
Mike in CO Wrote:
> Absolutely. I suspect most of us do.
>
> (Although my wife isn't sure if I need to detect
> for therapy, or I need therapy because I detect.)
>
> winking smiley
> mike

ehe! he! he! he!..good point!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 21, 2015 03:13AM
Bryannagirl Wrote:
> I live in a place where the only thing I can
> detect is frostbite. I could really use some
> therapy right now been a very tuff couple days and
> a few more a head.. Maybe I can create some
> indoor therapy learning and testing my T2 SE2 and
> my MXT Pro when they arrive next week.

got a great tip bryannagirl!..get yourself into a "library"
and hit the books!.research!..i like to do it in the winter
always looking for a "virgin" site!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 21, 2015 12:09PM
If you find detecting to be good therapy (as I do), you need to
move to a warm weather climate. Otherwise, you'll have to go
several months at a time without your therapy. Not good!
February 21, 2015 12:40PM
You are not alone. Life can be hard at times. But hard times pass.

Detecting is one of the best cures I have found. The research, forums, and fine tuning equipment give me something to do.

The actual detecting is one of the calmest times I get in my life. Nobody bugs me. The headphones isolate me from the world and I love it. Finding targets isn't important sometimes.
February 27, 2015 01:50AM
For years I have stopped on the way home and metal detected for a while. When I found a target and dug it before I filled in the hole I put in all my frustration, anger, and what ever was bugging me in the bottom of the hole covered it up stomped on it hard and left it in the field. Great therapy I hope the farmer did not take home with him when he turned the field
February 27, 2015 02:52AM
Im a retired corrections officer and listening to inmates scream all day every day without a break for 8 hours sucked.. Metal detecting was ,is and always will therapy..dont need to find anything as long as im swinging.. Kayaking down a nice river fishing for bass is a very close second then deer hunting with my crossbow...
February 27, 2015 03:20AM
God bless ya basstracker! Im definitely not cut out for that job!
February 27, 2015 03:50AM
I find a lot of relaxation from the research part of it all. Here recently, my paths crossed with a guy I work with. His hobby is collecting old photographs. Well we were talking about one of my recent detecting adventures where I found an indian head cent from the 1880s. He said he had pictures of the area I found it. He brought a CD full of pictures he had collected of this area...ranging from the 1880s to 1950s. Showing buildings, houses, landmarks, etc. He let me copy it...had over 1,400 pics on it. A literal gold mine that fell into my lap. A few of them I couldn't believe. There was a Civil War fort built in my home town to protect the railroad depot. I had hunted the area it was in but he actually had pics from the 1880s that showed the fort itself...its remains, and showed a panoramic view from the fort. The details in those pics were priceless. I had never seen them anywhere before. But I enjoy the reading and such of research. The part I hate worse than anything else is finding where the sites are now...and either discovering they have been destroyed by development or the landowner not letting you hunt. There are few things worse than doing research, getting it all figured out and then getting told NO and having to start over with somewhere else.
February 27, 2015 04:18AM
TallTom Wrote:
> If you find detecting to be good therapy (as I
> do), you need to
> move to a warm weather climate. Otherwise, you'll
> have to go
> several months at a time without your therapy.
> Not good!

this is "dead nuts" accurate!..contemplating same!
got a 'standing" 7 feet of snow outside in the yard!
lost the mail box,and the paper box!...out there somewhere!
so much got damn snow,can't see the street!..(hot damn!)
also colder than a whore's heart!..yup!..thinkin' 'bout it! for sure!
i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 27, 2015 04:39AM
Daniel, thats a great stroke of luck having that guy as a coworker! Pretty cool.
February 27, 2015 03:22PM
I sure do, Bryannagirl. I would go so far as to call metal detecting a helpful 'coping strategy' ....... Nothing better than to have a new OLD homesite (especially in an area that was frequented by Civil War troops) to keep one's mind on hi tones in the midst of low tones. And then, to top that by actually digging something historically notable! It is immensely satisfying and on top of that.....an added bonus: alot of exercise. Up and down......up and down......as one checks signals. Then, a nice long loop through the woods surrounding the house to see if any squirrel hunters pulled out a Barber dime as they fumbled with shells while reloading. And at 51, I need all of the cario-vascular exercise that I can force myself to get. I just do not have the self discipline required to sign up and participate at one of our many 'gyms' around here. Walking up and down steep ridges will work out every muscle in the system. Digging ginseng will provide the same resultant.....to borrow a term.
February 28, 2015 01:21AM
Hey Kevin - I am so waiting for some warm weather!

For now I am using this site for some therapy. I enjoy the intelligent discourse on this site, and I love learning which also happens all the time on this site. I lost someone very close to me and this site and the people on it have kept me from dwelling to much on my loss - So yes Therapy.

Bryanna - Nebraska

February 28, 2015 02:01AM
It's coming. Hopefully, in your area.....soon. I am going swinging tomorrow since it is going to be in the 50's. Couple of old homesites and my trusty F-19. Couple of bottles of water. A couple of snickers bars. Alot of times, I will turn off the detector (if I am way back in the woods) and just find a dry log (or leaves, if their dry) and just think. Try to prioritize my life in some meaningful direction. This is a GREAT thread. And I'm a FIRM believe in metal detecting as GREAT therapy. I'm naturally high strung and it gives me time to relax and breathe. Not to mention the great exercise of stooping to check targets and walking and swinging. Just good clean fun. And safe. I just wish that Metal Detecting has a better rapport with non-detecting people. Some of them, anyway. Many folks think that we are just out there swinging to try and find that BIG 'get rich quick' hoard. If I find a wheat penny......it was a good day. (Of course, I love to fill my pocket weighted down with numerous finds....but that happenes less and less)
The very BEST of success with your new T2SE2 and MXT Pro. Both of those units should fill your needs perfectly. Main thing.....have fun!!! Good Night. I am presently binge-watching the brand new third season of House of Cards on Netflix. Now, 'binge-watching' television is NOT good therapy. I always feel useless afterwards. But that show is so addicting!!!!! And I'm certainly not new to addictions. Hopefully.....THOSE addictions are gone from my life forever.
February 28, 2015 02:36PM
That's the primary reason I detect! Be careful using he bike as a theraputic tool during times of stress or when upset about life's "issues". My instructor for an advanced riding course had a pet pev about this very thing. Good luck and HH!