Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What is the best way to Jewelry Hunt???

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What is the best way to Jewelry Hunt???
February 21, 2015 08:56PM
I have never made 'jewelry hunting' my number one goal. But since I have this 'cockleburr in my shoe' about precious metals and so forth, maybe I need to start metal detecting around the fairground and baseball fields and so forth!
Re: What is the best way to Jewelry Hunt???
February 21, 2015 09:16PM
Kevin B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have never made 'jewelry hunting' my number one
> goal. But since I have this 'cockleburr in my
> shoe' about precious metals and so forth, maybe I
> need to start metal detecting around the
> fairground and baseball fields and so forth!
Set your machine to disc out small iron and "beep dig" That's it. Oh - Make sure you have a giant pouch for trash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2015 11:23PM by khouse.
February 21, 2015 09:24PM
This may sound like a wise arse remark But do yourself a favor, buy a Tiger Shark and hit the popular beaches in your area.

This has worked for me, bought my TS in 2001 and have paid for it several times over, like khouse said dig every thing, I like to set Disc. at nail rejection.
February 21, 2015 09:44PM
If your area is like mine, you gotta be "Johnny on the spot" and get to the swimming holes first. Most of our local beaches are on water ways that have the water levels dropped to "winter pool" in the fall. And they usually have some guy or guys that watch them like a hawk and hunt as the dropping water exposes new areas. If you wait for the water to drop all the way to winter pool before you go they will already have picked it clean.

I got into the jewelry thing for a while and found a few pieces. But the biggest park in town doesn't allow metal detecting here.

Here is a good tip and I am not trying to be racist or anything like that. But drive around and find where your local Mexican population plays soccer. This area has a lot of Mexican people and they like BIG gold jewelry. They also love soccer and when you put big jewelry and vigorous sports together, it equals a happy jewelry hunter in a lot of cases.
February 21, 2015 10:06PM
Get an F5 and read all of Mike Hillis posts on the subject. Actually the most important thing(my opinion) besides location, is to not make finding jewelry an incidental thing. Set your machine up specifically for that type of target. You've got to be willing to dig aluminum slaw and tabs.
February 22, 2015 12:34AM
Thanks guys. We do have Pickwick Landing State Park here on the Pickwick Lake. But MDing is illegal, or unallowed. But all the ranger does is ask you to leave. A fellow can get there and detect until he gets runn-oft. Alot of creeks around here with some big swimming holes....but they are over their banks. But I get the picture, and I appreciate the insights. kevin
February 22, 2015 01:14AM
Kevin B Wrote:
> Thanks guys. We do have Pickwick Landing State
> Park here on the Pickwick Lake. But MDing is
> illegal, or unallowed. But all the ranger does is
> ask you to leave. A fellow can get there and
> detect until he gets runn-oft. Alot of creeks
> around here with some big swimming holes....but
> they are over their banks. But I get the picture,
> and I appreciate the insights. kevin
Have you tried writing a letter to try and get a special use permit for the beach only? I found the rules

"Can I use a metal detector?
Use of metal detectors is allowed by an individual engaged in a limited search for a lost item under supervision of the Park Manager. No other usage is allowed without written permission from the State Archaeologist and the Director of State Parks."
I wonder if this is what it says in the official rules?
February 22, 2015 01:19AM
I took up jewelry hunting some during weekday evenings some this past year. Like anything its site specific and not for the faint of heart. Ball fields are great, oddly the sidelines of football fields produce really well for me. If you're successful its hard work. You even half to dig those zincolns, I found a 14k 4 gram men's ring right before Christmas that rang up dead on a zinc penny on the whites VDI scale. Some machines are better than others at it. I've been critical of the V series, but they absolutely excel at jewelry hunting. Most stuff isn't deep so you can trust VDI's a bit more. I've found you will occasionally get solid VDI's away from typical known targets, for example I found a womens black hills ring that rings up at 16 recently. Certain tabs are 19, nickels 20-21. Foil can be in the teens, but sounds like junk, a ring or charm in the teens just has a solid, round sound. I've never heard anyone else mention it but there are little nuances in the V series audio. Just takes time.

I parted ways with my V3I but still have a Vx3 that i bought for my son to use that I also use for jewelry.Its a ring magnet. If you're serious they may be worth another look. Used models seem to be cheaper than ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2015 01:20AM by deadlift.
February 22, 2015 01:30AM
Looks like your screwed without a special permit. Or if you contact then telling them your looking for your lost ring? That's how the official rules read.
I have the same situation here. Some sand beaches are off limits even though some are less than 25 years old. Two are old and abandoned with vegitation on the sand but I've asked twice for a permit and they never return my letters.
PUBLIC USE AND RECREATION CHAPTER 0400-2-2
(Rule 0400-2-2-.18, continued)
December, 2003 (Revised)
(6) The use of any mineral or metal detecting device capable of detecting the underground or underwater
location of geological, archaeological or historical objects or materials is prohibited. Provided,
however, that this section shall not apply to:
(a) fathometers, radar equipment and electronic equipment used primarily for the navigation and
safe operation of boats and aircraft;
(b) to persons possessing a permit from the State Archaeologist to conduct legitimate
archaeological research when such permit is signe
d by the Director of Parks and Recreation; and
(c) to an individual engaged in a limited search for a lost item under supervision of the park
Superintendent.
February 22, 2015 02:26AM
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski
February 22, 2015 04:24PM
Hey Hombre,
I take you seriously, and it seems you, too, are aware that many folks have little or no regard for the Sand Shark.
Has yours worked nonstop or do you have experience with Tesoro lifetime warranty?
Again, some folks say it's great; some say it's all talk.

Salt and freshwater beaches; any difference?
Dig it all, or not?
Depth?

What's a good price for a clean used one?

Thanks

Hombre Wrote:
> This may sound like a wise arse remark But do
> yourself a favor, buy a Tiger Shark and hit the
> popular beaches in your area.
>
> This has worked for me, bought my TS in 2001 and
> have paid for it several times over, like khouse
> said dig every thing, I like to set Disc. at nail
> rejection.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 22, 2015 04:42PM
silver can come in at 80-98 and gold are your foil and pull tabs vdi about 42-55 depending on the size...silver is easy in a way because you just cherry pick and hit all the higher tones but gold takes a lot of luck. Look for deep readings that will really help. How a ring is lost and how long it has been in the ground has a lot to do with how you find it. I have found about 80 gold and diamond rings and about 3 hundred silver rings. If you lose a fresh lets say a gold ring we know its going to be on the surface at the start but you start looking for it and step on it with out even knowing it. Now it's sunk in the grass and you will never see it. Now it's maybe two inches in the dirt and they sink depending on the size and the lawn being watered....

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 22, 2015 05:45PM
Vibra probe 720 for those, well, discriminating places. The places you speak of are well "not hunted" lets say. Just roll around in the water like a small whale, no pun intended, and dig everything in the "mommy line" about 1-2 foot where she plays with her small kids. You should be pleasantly surprised......................I've got one and it's a specialty machine, especially for places like that, lol If you are going to use a regular water machine dig it all except iron. Dig anything that even has a conductive crackle or pop to it. I'd say in turf it's a whole nother ball game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2015 06:26PM by Jack Flynn.
February 22, 2015 06:00PM
Of course beaches or water hunting is the best and water hunting for one is extremely tiring...always felt one hour in water equates to several on land so eat your wheaties...

On land best way is to get a notch unit and notch out the most prevalent tabs...usually several and dig all except those numbers...Remember foil is the hotspot but gold rings in that area usually hit harder and sound smoother...all a matter to dig or not in the foil area but you can eliminate the small foil with practice...Tedious hunting for sure but one nice ring can equate to a month of clad or perhaps more...One fellow I hunted with disced low and dug everything for the first hour and then concentrated on coins after and worked for him....
February 22, 2015 06:04PM
Hey Kevin,
On Steves forum there was a thread about this started by Mike Hillis. Had more detailed info. The best turf jewrrly hunters I know both use mxt's. Im sure the g2 or f19 you have could be used exactly same way.
February 23, 2015 12:14AM
Okay Deathray, that sounds good......I'll check out Steve's forum and start an acct (if he'll have me...kidding Steve). And thanks to all of the other replies. Hey guys, platinum seems to be a popular precious metal.....does it resonate like Gold does? In other words, will my 19khz machine do fine? I am starting to think that I might need to get an Etrac.........again. But I have read that the Etrac is on the chopping block. I wonder how that will affect price. Maybe the Xterra 705 (with it's varied frequency coils) would be a good semi-inexpensive way to UP my jewelry finds. We have several ball parks. But we also have a City Manager who is anti-metal detector. I have a personal ring (wedding) here at home (I used to be married) so I could pitch it out on the ground while detecting the ball parks and say: I lost my ring and am trying to find it. But I feel that I will be getting very close to being unethical. Our City Manager has already sent someone (he wouldn't even stop and do it himself) to ask me to leave an empty lot that the city has recently purchased to turn into a parking lot for our new city park. I mean, in a few weeks, they will scrape and dig and gravel and pave this same lot. But our City Manager had rather me not be on it with a metal detector. I have been told by his underlings that he's a genuine 'hind-end'. I concur.
February 23, 2015 11:01AM
I tend to agree with Dan...... dirt hunting for jewerly is like using a PI to hunt a trasy beach. Gold really has a wide detecting range and depth/minerals complicates it even more. Ive not found a SURE way to hunt for jewerly even in the salt water with fewer targets. But my machine can ID iron pretty well and shallow bottle caps..... everthing else has potential out there. You best bet for jewerly might be to hit locations with a lot of active potential contributors. Then grid it, only disc very high tones and iron. A single freq machine is your best bet, but every machine has its strong and weak points. Now do you dig shallow or any target? See .... there are a LOT of choices you have to make when you are digging gold and not all increase your chances.

Dew
February 23, 2015 04:01PM
I like the G2 for gold. Found several rings but more chains with my G2. I use a F75-2 with the 10" elliptical concentric and so far have 1 band and lots of post style ear rings. I turn my desc. just a touch above iron(18 on F75) and it causes the foil to crackle and the good targets to be clear and hit hard even when they are in the 5'+ range. I use 1f tones for this. Haven't been out much because of cold but weather is slowly getting better. Got 2 gold rings in the wet sand with my ET. One band came in at 12-3 and the other at 12-8. 1 in a field last year and it came in at the tab range. Only took digging several thousand tabs to get it. I have a Et and have found gold with it as well. I use it for silver hunting now that I have the F75 with a elliptical concentric on it. Better ID and nearly as deep except in bad soil as the 11"DD that comes with it. Mike Hillis uses this F75 set up and that got me to using this combo.
February 23, 2015 08:29PM
Kevin - You should watch this youtube video by Gerry's Detectors showing how the 705 can be programmed to maximize ring finds while knocking out some common pull tabs.

[www.youtube.com]

The G2 and F75 are also great on rings.
February 23, 2015 09:38PM
Mike Hillis is the king of Jewelry Hunter's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!