Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Using a bigger coil to reduce sensitivity to smaller objects?

Posted by Bryannagirl 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Using a bigger coil to reduce sensitivity to smaller objects?
February 22, 2015 08:49PM
Ok here is a thought. - the park I am going to hunt used to be a golf course - the most common trash is probably can slaw some of it very tiny. Digging a deep hole for a sliver of a bud light can is not the worst thing in the world but was wondering if a larger coil might loose some sensitivity to the smaller targets. Was thinking about the 15 inch coil from Teknetics for T2. If this worked you would in Essenes have a form of size discrimination which would help reduce digging some of the can slaw under a certain size.

Dumb idea or does it have some merit?

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
Re: Using a bigger coil to reduce sensitivity to smaller objects?
February 22, 2015 08:57PM
It might work, meaning you'd lose some of the small stuff, but dimes, small jewelry could be lost i.e. For the larger coins it might help. Overall, I think it's a bad idea. I think you would be better off using your pinpoint feature to try and size and check for depth. Other things like tonal quality and TID variations while sweeping may give clues to dig or not dig. And of course there is always the notch feature to maybe rid the small foil/can slaw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2015 09:48PM by tnsharpshooter.