Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Would someone kindly post a meterorite that you found with your detector?

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Would someone kindly post a meterorite that you found with your detector?
February 24, 2015 07:50PM
I found a rock (it was very lightweight for it's size) and looked like volcanic rock or something. It appeared porous. It sounded off in hi tone on my detector. Is this simply a hot rock? I'll try to find it and post a pic. I know a place where there alot of them! I heard that many detectorist look exclusively for meteorites. Just curious. I'd hate to dig a gallon jug full of hot rocks!!!!
Re: Would someone kindly post a meterorite that you found with your detector?
February 24, 2015 09:25PM
Kevin, I found something similar but thy ere not meteorites

El

.[meteorite-identification.com]
February 24, 2015 09:42PM
Might try to find this 13 year old and ask how to find them.
[articles.latimes.com]
[www.abqjournal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 09:47PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 25, 2015 02:15AM
I found a rock that sounded good with my Tesoro TH. took it to a professor at KU Collage he told me no Meterorite is porous they are molten smooth. Stick.
February 25, 2015 05:09AM
Kevin B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I found a rock (it was very lightweight for it's
> size) and looked like volcanic rock or something.
> It appeared porous. It sounded off in hi tone on
> my detector. Is this simply a hot rock? I'll try
> to find it and post a pic. I know a place where
> there alot of them! I heard that many detectorist
> look exclusively for meteorites. Just curious.
> I'd hate to dig a gallon jug full of hot rocks!!!!

I have no meteorite expertise, but I'd think if you found
a place with a lot of similar rocks, they're not meteorites.
Don't meteorites tend to be spread apart
and found one-at-a-time? I suppose a big one could hit the
Earth and break up into multiple pieces, but I thought
that wasn't what they generally (ever?) do.
February 25, 2015 05:14AM
Thanks guys. I must have hit an area with several hot rocks. I didn't think that there were hot rocks around here. Guess I was wrong. I appreciate the feedback. Happy Detecting......kevin
February 25, 2015 03:08PM
Kevin, meteorites have a pretty fast decomposition when exposed to the elements. This is the reason most are found in areas with more of an arid climate. They are valuable by the way. And out in the flatlands as I call them, actually the great plains area, vehicles are designed with long poles and magnets and then drove around to pick up any. I have read they are almost as valuable as diamond.
February 26, 2015 06:53AM
Here's one I found visually while looking for arrowheads. Approx 26 years ago. Liberty, NC area.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 26, 2015 12:58PM
Awesome find Wayne!!!
February 26, 2015 03:02PM
Most major colleges have info you are looking for...All depends but understand some are worth big bucks.
February 26, 2015 04:15PM
Fantastic find-find of a life time really
a related meteorite story
February 26, 2015 05:09PM
Sometime prior to me finding the above meteorite, this occurred:

I had been divorced from my 1st wife for a few years and was dating prior to meeting my (now) wife, Cindy, to whom I have been married for 25 years (this coming August).
I was seeing a lady home after our first/only "date" and she was standing outside her door and I was facing her, and a bright light came from behind me and lit up the front of her house. Her glance moved upward toward the heavens and the look on her face was of astonishment. I guess I would have turned to view the light, itself, if not for the look on her face. Then we heard a distant thud/boom and felt a short but definite tremor.

I called a local tv station and asked if they knew what had occurred. I was told they had had a few calls about what I had (sort of) witnessed, but they knew nothing more.

Since that day, I have thought that maybe somewhere just east of Archdale, NC a sizable meteorite is waiting to be found. It was an eery experience, to say the least.

ps thanks for the kind remarks on the meteorite. Hardest thing to believe is that it was 26 years ago!! When viewed in the rear view mirror, time is fleeting. All the more reason to hurry up and dig!

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?