Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

notch disc machines???

Posted by coinranger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
notch disc machines???
February 25, 2015 12:55AM
Hey guys....I am looking for a machine that can notch in any certain item I want..Let's say I wanted to just find dime's...Is there a machine that comes to mind that can do this...I'm looking at some garretts in the gta,gtax series...I noticed the newer Fishers only disc up the scale to a certain point..I need something that can notch in or out all the way up to the highest disc...thanks...looking forward to hearing your thoughts
Re: notch disc machines???
February 25, 2015 01:07AM
XP Deus if you can stand the price. I am not a big fan of notch. Using it, you could let the big one get away!!!
Minelab etrac

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 01:38AM by tnsharpshooter.
February 25, 2015 01:12AM
I think you could black out the CTX screen and auto accept a bunch of dimes. The CTX would then only accept what you've scanned. The programming ability is insane actually :-) and yes, expensive.
February 25, 2015 01:18AM
CZ-7a .... or CZ-70
February 25, 2015 01:36AM
XLT-DFX come to mind....as far as digital CZ's notches are too large heck the coins all last block entails old crusty Wheaties, dimes, quarters, halves and silver dollars.....
February 25, 2015 01:38AM
thanks for replys guys.. I should have added..This will B a specialty machine seldom used...I dont want to spend a ton of money..Does the golden umax have this feature??
February 25, 2015 01:47AM
coinranger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks for replys guys.. I should have added..This
> will B a specialty machine seldom used...I dont
> want to spend a ton of money..Does the golden umax
> have this feature??
The Ace 250 will do it for $212
February 25, 2015 02:01AM
I think the Fisher F-5 will do it (notch to just bring in dimes).------What---you don't want to find quarters to???
February 25, 2015 02:14AM
I notch out nails on my detector, my brain takes care of the rest, simple but true in my experience....lol
February 25, 2015 02:34AM
I used dimes as a example.....Lets say someone loses an earing and wants to find the other identical one..I would like to notch everything out but that conductor..looking for any and all machines that will do this..The ace 250 would be a good canidate but cant stand that Bell tone...The F5 i bielieve only disc up to dimes...
February 25, 2015 02:43AM
coinranger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used dimes as a example.....Lets say someone
> loses an earing and wants to find the other
> identical one..I would like to notch everything
> out but that conductor..looking for any and all
> machines that will do this..The ace 250 would be a
> good canidate but cant stand that Bell tone...The
> F5 i bielieve only disc up to dimes...
Like I said the Ace 250. You can add the ATpro, etrac and many more.as well. When I go on a ring search I accept the areas I think the ring will fall into. Like last Saturday a guy lost his white gold ring. I know it's not going to hit at wheaties or above. So I reject that area. You can see this on my etrac screen.
[www.youtube.com]

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 02:44AM by khouse.
February 25, 2015 02:56AM
Ok so you notch out what you want rejected and your notched in target is too close to what is being disc'ed out, what happens then? You'll miss it, guarantied, especially with the slow recovery speed of the Ace 250.
February 25, 2015 03:03AM
Hi coinranger,,,,,I'm not certain a machine exist to do it at depth.....I had an AT and you had to at least open up 2 or 3 segments above and below to get close to what you want....It just don't have enough segments, up close it kinda worked but the audio was terrible trying to do it.....I tried notching in just quarters and it was a no go.. I had to be right on top of them or the audio would not come through correctly.....Good luck in your search.......JJ

PS: you are right Hombre
February 25, 2015 03:13AM
You would have to open up a wide window of what your trying to find on any machine. The smaller the window the less likely you'll find what your looking for. But if your looking for a medium silver ring then it would be safe to at least square tabs on down. On my etrac I knew a white gold ring should come in around a nickle. Maybe a little higher or a little lower. In my case I accepted small foil all the waay up to wheaties. I knew it would fall in that large window. Then not hearing any upper high tones made searching a little easier.
[www.youtube.com]

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
February 25, 2015 03:13AM
Minelab explorers ,E-Trac and CTX 3030 would be one of your best shots I would think. Ultimate cherry picking machines in a lot of cases.
February 25, 2015 03:28AM
Hi,,,I think he's talking about only leaving like 1 segment/number open and hearing nothing else but the 1segment/number ....I might be wrong, I think he's gone or not allowing his name to be shown as being logged in (hidden).....We might have to wait days for a clarification now...LoL....JJ
February 25, 2015 03:43AM
I once had a garrett 1250 years ago that had I beileive 22 segments...This would work..But I dont care for the weight of the machine and the 8AA batteries...I understand notching out 1 or 2 segments above or below will thin out my chances..Like JJ said notching in quarters you will lose some...I am just looking for whats available out there with this feature and not having to break the bank...Or maybe a duel disc could also work...But I dont know whats available out therewith this feature..Thanks for the post's guys...I feel were getting somewhere..
February 25, 2015 03:49AM
An old explorer for cheap and utilize the "learn" feature.
February 25, 2015 03:51AM
This is the kind of discussion that I can relate to as I hunt a lot of older places that have an abundance of both ferrous and non ferrous trash. My main annoyance is rusty square nails and some deep .22 short shell casings along with the usual low value relics such as harmonica and accordion reeds, shot gun shells, spent large caliber pistol, rifle casings..etc. You get the picture, if you disc. out .22 shorts (VDI # 0 through 12) and lets say you are in a great spot to find $1 gold coins (VDI # 16 or 17), you will not be happy with that disc. setting. A lowly .22 short case laying next to a gold coin and you would never hear it.

Edit to show changed VDI #'s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 04:40AM by Hombre.
February 25, 2015 05:15AM
f19 can do it. disc to 80. notch out window 86-99

land ranger pro can come close. notch window out 80-99 and disc 59. It has an expanded coin range so you'll still get dimes in 60's id and quarters in 70's. although with tone break the dimes could be low tone and quarters high.

The new first texas machines with notch window let you go all the way up with it.
February 25, 2015 05:18AM
also, Xterra's.
February 25, 2015 11:13AM
As you can see there are a lot of machines that may suit your purpose, even the ET/Explorers have LEARN. Jeff Foster discussed notch some in his book digging deeper with the DFX. He said if you wanted to notch say number 86..... it could affect numbers 83 to 89. Also, you have to consider these TID and how they are affected by near targets and depth.

Dew
February 25, 2015 11:46AM
V3i, VX3 as you can notch each and any VDI from -95 to +95 or you can run all metal and just set the tones at 0 for the ones you do not want to hear. And as others have stated there are other machines as well. The Safari, AT Pro you can also accomplish this but the notch window is larger.
JD Digger
February 25, 2015 12:40PM
Look for an older White's XLT - the VDI scale is -94 to +95 that is a huge range and you can turn on and off any one of those points. I think you would have a hard time find any detector for the price that will let you notch out more - Oh and Eagle Spectrum does pretty much the same thing as well can be found for under 300 if you look. Lots of other features as well.

That being said after a while you will find notching is not such a useful thing - at least in my opinion. Seems like the coolest thing since sliced bread at first but you learn that lots of factors affect how an item indicates on the VDI scale and it is not as straight forward as notch in a dime and out everything else and only find dimes. In the real world you will miss dimes and dig stuff that is not dimes. Learn the audio and the vdi numbers and notch with your brain. But if you really like to Notch to the finest degree the Eagle or XLT from Whites are really very good machines and built like tanks.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
wjs
February 25, 2015 01:27PM
Etrac probably the best at doing it without spending $2000. They can be bought fairly reasonable (used). V3i probably a good choice too.
February 25, 2015 02:04PM
As said above the Xterra's can do it too. I have found many rings with the 305. Plus they are priced right. I have owned 3 - 305's. One was new. Then I bought the next two used. Paid $225 for one and $275 for the other. They have a ton of features for little cash.... Here is a video of the 305 in a Gold Ring search. You will see that I had made a too small of a window for the ring. Then once I confirmed that I opened the window and see what happened?
[www.youtube.com]

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 02:05PM by khouse.
February 26, 2015 12:20AM
Khouse....Thanks for vids....and to everyone else who has posted...
February 26, 2015 12:49AM
Notching is probably not for those that dig everything above iron. I have found 116 gold rings. Without notching I would not have found many of those rings. It all depends what you are hunting for and where. Folks who lose jewelry are usually in a place where a lot of people have been. Knowing people it is usually a very trashy location.....Jack
February 26, 2015 12:53AM
I know this will be a moot point as the OP stated cheap as possible. But, as I understand it, there is the notch, and there is what I will call the "no audio" notch. Many detectors utilize a notch via the discrimination circuit, meaning null = missed targets in higher trash areas and loss of depth. The other type of "notch' that I have seen is via audio circuit, meaning the signal is going through but the audio is cut short at the last leg of it's journey (so to speak), therefore, it does not make it to the user. I know for certain the V3i utilizes and offers both features of audio off and notch per vdi number on its platform, while the Vx3 offers the standard notch. I believe the Xlt and Dfx also only use the "disc notch", although I cannot be certain. It has been a few years since I've had an XLT, and never owned a DFX. I believe the F75 does have the "audio notch" system but does not offer the single ID notch feature as the V3i. Again, a moot point as the price of a V3i or F75 is beyond the OP's price range and interest. Looks like you have many choices that would work!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 01:08AM by triplehooked.
February 26, 2015 02:20AM
Ace 350
AT Gold
AT Pro
XLT/DFX
GTAx 1000
GTA 2500
GTA 1500
Gold Bug DP/Pro
F19

just a few of the machines that have the feature in some manner that are mid priced and decent machines

some old/er and some new/er

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 02:21AM by MichiganRelicHunter.