Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

White's MXT - Next Generation

Posted by Bryannagirl 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
White's MXT - Next Generation
February 25, 2015 01:23PM
White's has had great success with their MXT line of detectors. But like much of what Whites has on the market it is getting long in the tooth. But the concept of a simple dial based detector that has the soul of a gold machine and the heart of a relic/coin hunter is great. They did add tones about 5 or 6 years ago plus back lighting but that is about it. If you where White's and wanted to refresh the MXT line what things would you add or change for the Next Generation. Still needs to be a good coin, relic, and prospecting detector. And still needs to be simple and straight forward like the current model.

Given the way new detectors are going here is my short list:

1. get the weight down under 3 lbs

2. Improve its reaction time (maybe even make it variable)

3. Improve it ability to sift through iron and unmask

4. Add some depth

5. Work on making the Audio the best in the business.

6. Make it waterproof to 10 feet like Garrett AT Pro

I just got my MXT Pro and like it and understand why it has been so popular - it is a great do all detector.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
Re: White's MXT - Next Generation
February 25, 2015 01:48PM
The mx5 i thought is a great detector. It is 3.6lbs better balanced and is the mxt,mxt pro, and m6 combined into a digital format.. Two things changed is it has notch disc and you cant lock ground tracking.. It does have alot of nice features and i do like it better than the mxt pro machines.. You can hunt in the rain..just due to balance and weight and better screen angle id easily pick the mx5 over the mxt pro.. My opinion..
February 25, 2015 01:55PM
Now this is just my opinion. Not bashing here. Just voicing what I feel. Now. I still believe tha 2 best machines are the MXTpro and M6. If they can add notch discrimination to these machines they would sell like hot cakes. The M6/MXT users all know the capabilities of these machine. The M6 is hugely under rated. Some would say just buy the MX5 because it's based on the MXT and has notch etc.... I personallpy don't think so - to me it's a souped up Coinmaster/Prizm. Now I know some will come on here and say just the oposite and that's OK. It's just my take on things.......
PS: I've been hoping for years that all other manufacurers would come out with an ATpro "type" machine in the same price range. As users we would all win. It seems to me Garrett has been one step ahead for some time. Pouring profits from the Ace series to come out with the Propointer and ATseries machines. I think they caught the other manufacturers by suprise... Now just when Whites comes out with their super TRX - Garrett fires back with a waterproof Propointer AT. Now Whites is playing catch up again.... All Whites has to do is come up with an ATpro killer and they would once again be on their feet again. Even if it's $200 more. I would own one for sure.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
February 25, 2015 02:19PM
Kenny you are right.. Whites told me that the mx5 was a mxt pro just in a digital format.. That was Alan from whites.. They were supposed to be coming out with some machines to compete with the AT Pro but havent heard anything since.. Sad.. I have tested the mx5 next to my mxt's and the mx5 did better on everything.. It was very deep and for me just the lighter weight and better balance was a selling point.. Plus it uses all of the eclipse coils.. Whites also said if the inside gets wet just let it dry out and will be fine .. Now is it a better machine? That depends on who you are.. Ive used whites since 1978 and started using the mxt when it first came out.. In my opinion the mxt,mxt pro and m6 are whites best machines... Period.. My favorite combo was the mxt pro with sef 8x6 coil.. With that combo it felt better balanced and could hunt all day..
February 25, 2015 02:31PM
I've not had the privilege to use a MX5. All I can say is White's needs to start engineering their detectors to run on 4AA batteries. If Fisher, Technetics, Nokta, Makro etc can do it, why not White's. It would be an automatic weight reducing measure. And the 9v battery design I feel is not as good as 4AAs.
February 25, 2015 02:58PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've not had the privilege to use a MX5. All I
> can say is White's needs to start engineering
> their detectors to run on 4AA batteries. If
> Fisher, Technetics, Nokta, Makro etc can do it,
> why not White's. It would be an automatic weight
> reducing measure. And the 9v battery design I
> feel is not as good as 4AAs.
I would agree on that
February 25, 2015 03:00PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought both the M6 and MX5 lacked the prospecting features of the MXT and to some extent some of the Relic functions. To me that was the brilliance of the MXT It was a good coin hunter, along with being very good as a relic machine and good for prospecting as well.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
February 25, 2015 03:02PM
Agreed X2 on the batteries.

That is the major Debbie Downer to the Whites machines.
February 25, 2015 03:03PM
basstrackerman Wrote:
> Kenny you are right.. Whites told me that the mx5
> was a mxt pro just in a digital format.. That was
> Alan from whites.. They were supposed to be coming
> out with some machines to compete with the AT Pro
> but havent heard anything since.. Sad.. I have
> tested the mx5 next to my mxt's and the mx5 did
> better on everything.. It was very deep and for me
> just the lighter weight and better balance was a
> selling point.. Plus it uses all of the eclipse
> coils.. Whites also said if the inside gets wet
> just let it dry out and will be fine .. Now is it
> a better machine? That depends on who you are..
> Ive used whites since 1978 and started using the
> mxt when it first came out.. In my opinion the
> mxt,mxt pro and m6 are whites best machines...
> Period.. My favorite combo was the mxt pro with
> sef 8x6 coil.. With that combo it felt better
> balanced and could hunt all day..
I guess what I didn't like was it's based on the MXT guts and it sounded like a Prizm. The M6/MXT has a smoother full mellow tone to me. The MX5 sounded like it was in a box or something. It is possible mine had the Audio issue too? Features and balance was spot on for sure. Maybe if the audio driver and speaker was upgraded I might like it more?
February 25, 2015 03:16PM
Bryannagirl Wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong but I thought both the M6
> and MX5 lacked the prospecting features of the MXT
> and to some extent some of the Relic functions. To
> me that was the brilliance of the MXT It was a
> good coin hunter, along with being very good as a
> relic machine and good for prospecting as well.
To me if your a serious prospector you need a true Gold machine. Also if your not going to prospect you don't need a prospecting mode. I think it's confusing to call a machine like"best relic machine ever" Or a "Coin machine" Coin machines can find relics. Relic machines can find coins. All the coins you find with the MXTpro can be found in relic mode. All the relics you find can be found in the coin mode. People have asked me if you can find coins with the F19 since it's marketed as a relic machine. I tell them it's a super coin shooter - because it is. Just like the M6 doesn't have a relic mode but it will find relics. Years ago people bought "metal detectors" and with them they found a ton of coins and relics. Gold is a different subject though.
I need to add. Don't get me wrong - I would choose the MXTpro over the M6. But the M6 is no slouch. The MXTpro has a lot more usuable features that I personally like. Tone ID and backlight would be my favorite..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 03:40PM by khouse.
February 25, 2015 03:52PM
Bryanna,didnt you just get this mxt like yesterday??
February 25, 2015 04:11PM
Yes,
The question really does not have anything to do with me getting my MXT. If you look I have owned two previous White's machines - I really like the company and got the MXT, because when I lived in Colorado my Local Dealer sold me on them - so I am a fan. I do worry about White's, the most exciting thing to come out of white's in a while is there new TRX pointer. The MXT has been a very strong seller for them since it came out but the compatition is getting tougher and was just thinking what might be next. I hope the MXT stays a part of there portfolio of detectors for a while..

I had been thinking about this before I got mine. Plus I am bored waiting for my car to be repaired at the dealer winking smiley

P.S. A year or so ago that dealer in Colorado "Golden Detector" got an award from White's for selling 1,000 MXT detectors. The award was a Gold colored MXT Pro - very cool looking. The MXT is still the dealers go to detector followed by the Teknetics T2 hmmm!

deathray Wrote:
> Bryanna,didnt you just get this mxt like
> yesterday??

Bryanna - Nebraska

February 25, 2015 04:21PM
Yes the tones on the mx5 do not sound as good as any of the mxt series machines.. Which is why i like the Fisher F70 and F75LTD2 so much. Tones for me are awesome.. The mxt's and F series machine were engineered by the same man. At least thats what whites told me...Difference is the F75 is lighter,better balanced less batteries better display etc.. I have a good mental connection with the F series.. Just plain fun to use.. And for me those are more important for detecting than anything..
February 25, 2015 04:32PM
Bryannagirl Wrote:
> Yes,
> The question really does not have anything to do
> with me getting my MXT. If you look I have owned
> two previous White's machines - I really like the
> company and got the MXT, because when I lived in
> Colorado my Local Dealer sold me on them - so I am
> a fan. I do worry about White's, the most
> exciting thing to come out of white's in a while
> is there new TRX pointer. The MXT has been a very
> strong seller for them since it came out but the
> compatition is getting tougher and was just
> thinking what might be next. I hope the MXT stays
> a part of there portfolio of detectors for a
> while..
>
> I had been thinking about this before I got mine.
> Plus I am bored waiting for my car to be repaired
> at the dealer winking smiley
>
> P.S. A year or so ago that dealer in Colorado
> "Golden Detector" got an award from White's for
> selling 1,000 MXT detectors. The award was a Gold
> colored MXT Pro - very cool looking. The MXT is
> still the dealers go to detector followed by the
> Teknetics T2 hmmm!
>
> deathray Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Bryanna,didnt you just get this mxt like
> > yesterday??
If you lived in Colorado and wanted an option to prospect then the MXT/MXTpros are a nice option. But If your not in a gold bearing area then the prospecting mode would gather dust. I'm just guessing here so don't quote me. I would venture to say there are more MXT/MXTpro's in use that any other of Whites Pro (metal box) line. The MXT has been Whites bread and butter. Reasonably priced, simple and just a great solid machine with really no issues. I really fear the M6 will soon be gone. That would be a shame....
February 25, 2015 04:42PM
KHouse, Agree on prospecting mode gathering dust except it is also a great All Metal mode that gives Iron ID and Tone - it is also the deepest mode for MXT to and it still has VDI plus the mode gives you ground phase. From what I have read and heard a lot of relic hunters hunt in prospect mode and lots of coin hunters hunt in relic mode because the Mixed Audio AM side is quiter in Relic Mode. So maybe the mode that could be dropped is coin winking smiley

Bryanna - Nebraska

February 25, 2015 05:26PM
Improved communication of what the coil is going over at that instant. No more coins sounding like they're a foot wide. More of a minelab wiggle but with faster processing

Reworked ergonomics. A unit that could collapse into itself and fit in a large backpack would be great

New blunt SEF coil like designs

Better ability to lock on VID at depth. The current whites are WORSE than the old analog units at this. V3i especially
February 25, 2015 05:34PM
It seem to drag out the response on targets a lot - better with multi tone but the 2 tone and one tone do tend to drag it out my DFX did that also the Eagle was better not great but better. Makes hunting trash difficult at times.

deadlift Wrote:
> Improved communication of what the coil is going
> over at that instant. No more coins sounding like
> they're a foot wide. More of a minelab wiggle but
> with faster processing
>
> Reworked ergonomics. A unit that could collapse
> into itself and fit in a large backpack would be
> great
>
> New blunt SEF coil like designs
>
> Better ability to lock on VID at depth. The
> current whites are WORSE than the old analog units
> at this. V3i especially

Bryanna - Nebraska

February 25, 2015 05:44PM
Thanks for sharing Bryanna,

And appreciate you sharing your experiences with us, Very refreshing reading your post.

Have always liked the MXT, Especially relic mode for our areas on the West Coast. Thinking of getting an MXT Pro myself and to be honest don't know too much about the Pro model only that it has tones. Does the Pro model still have the 2-tone relic feature and I'm assuming GB can still be locked? If it does then surely will be getting one for relic hunting, Love using the MXT searching for iron when out looking for older settlements iron audio blast out loud and clear.

Take care,
Paul (Ca)
February 25, 2015 07:12PM
Hey Old Cal,
Yes still has lock but now can be used the old way or with button on screen - so can leave lock on unit is still tracking hit Ground Grab and unit adjusted to current tracked ground reading a reverse of that is when hunting with tracking on you hit ground grab and lock tracking while investigating a target. Last I just found out it has a special ckt designed for cold rocks so they will not null out a nugget or other target like on most detectors. I have read it is really a nugget hunter turned into a general purpose coin and relic hunter not the other way around.

Bryanna - Nebraska

February 25, 2015 07:27PM
I say don't mess with perfection it took two yrs to engineer this MXT detector to start with and they got it right, if you go to 4 aa's there goes your depth and your battery life, less amperage less depth, if you a add notch system, there goes a large percentage of gold jewelry signals, its a great detector as it sits, it just needs to be mastered. If you want lightweight get a mx5. I have watched a friend over the course of 3 months clean out a park near him with a MXT, of gold jewelry, about 4,000.00 worth in scrap prices a couple yrs back, and this is not a big park but it just happened to be situated with low income apts facing it from several sides and lots of gang activity nights, lots of gold jewelry lost, and its been hammered for yrs by hobby detectorists. I recently upgraded to the MXT Pro, and I kind of miss the standard MXT, I don't care for menus or tones, but do like the ground grab and backlight so will probably stick with the Pro. There are a lot of coils available for this machine out there but only a very few that will make it sing depending on where you are hunting and for what. Most are too large, causing masking of targets, information overload in trashy areas, think small coils and you will not loose much if any depth either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 07:34PM by MXT SNIPER.
February 25, 2015 07:59PM
Let me guess by your forum name you are a MXT fan and one with good amount of field experience. I may shoot you a PM sometime as I am attempting to master my MXT if do not mind.

But on your comment on the batteries I think you would find that it is possible reduce battery count, maintain depth and increase battery life. Lots of work has gone into power management since MXT was released. I do agree any change that takes away from what it is now would be a mistake. Would not a MXT that is waterproof to 10 ft like an AT pro but still did everything it does now be nice? Even if you never hunt in water it is nice to know you can hunt and not worry about some dew or light rain.

Hear is another idea - White's already knows how to make good responsive wireless headphones how about adding the option of adding the Spectra Head phones to your MXT?

MXT SNIPER Wrote:
> I say don't mess with perfection it took two yrs
> to engineer this MXT detector to start with and
> they got it right, if you go to 4 aa's there goes
> your depth and your battery life, less amperage
> less depth, if you a add notch system, there goes
> a large percentage of gold jewelry signals, its a
> great detector as it sits, it just needs to be
> mastered. If you want lightweight get a mx5. I
> have watched a friend over the course of 3 months
> clean out a park near him with a MXT, of gold
> jewelry, about 4,000.00 worth in scrap prices a
> couple yrs back, and this is not a big park but it
> just happened to be situated with low income apts
> facing it from several sides and lots of gang
> activity nights, lots of gold jewelry lost, and
> its been hammered for yrs by hobby detectorists. I
> recently upgraded to the MXT Pro, and I kind of
> miss the standard MXT, I don't care for menus or
> tones, but do like the ground grab and backlight
> so will probably stick with the Pro. There are a
> lot of coils available for this machine out there
> but only a very few that will make it sing
> depending on where you are hunting and for what.
> Most are too large, causing masking of targets,
> information overload in trashy areas, think small
> coils and you will not loose much if any depth
> either.

Bryanna - Nebraska

February 25, 2015 08:05PM
Bryanna. I sent you a pm
February 25, 2015 08:32PM
Thanks Bryanna,

Looks like I'll be adding the MXT Pro soon, Kind of miss my old MXT for older sites was a great detector searching for patches of iron this helps lead to finding older sites due to the area laced with iron. Some of the newer models iron audio doesn't blast out as loud, Got to find the iron first to find the older relics and coins of yesterday.

You take care!
Paul
February 25, 2015 08:36PM
Forgot to add currently have a Whites SST, It's deep but don't care for it's lowest tone. Iron and the lowest conductive tone are very close, Hope this isn't the case with the MXT Pro that would be a bummer.

HH, Paul
February 25, 2015 09:08PM
I will have test it out. Will let you know what I hear unless someone far more experienced on MXT Pro chimes in first.

Old California Wrote:
> Forgot to add currently have a Whites SST, It's
> deep but don't care for it's lowest tone. Iron
> and the lowest conductive tone are very close,
> Hope this isn't the case with the MXT Pro that
> would be a bummer.
>
> HH, Paul

Bryanna - Nebraska

February 25, 2015 10:40PM
Bryannagirl Wrote:
> I will have test it out. Will let you know what I
> hear unless someone far more experienced on MXT
> Pro chimes in first.
>
> Old California Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Forgot to add currently have a Whites SST,
> It's
> > deep but don't care for it's lowest tone. Iron
> > and the lowest conductive tone are very close,
> > Hope this isn't the case with the MXT Pro that
> > would be a bummer.
> >
I think the first thing to do is get the 12inch coil off of it - if yours came with it? Then use the 5.3 or 950 coil on it. By using the 300 coil in boost power will throw the magnetic poles off by 2 degrees. Just saying.....
> > HH, Paul
February 25, 2015 10:50PM
The Mxt is a great detector. I've owned two of them over the years. Make sure to pick up a shooter coil as well. The 5.3 concentric offers a bit more depth than the 4x6 dd. The latter a smidge better in the trash. I enjoyed the audio of the Mxt and got decent depth out of them with both the 950 and D2 coils. Best of luck!
February 25, 2015 11:39PM
Not sure what the next MXT will be...but I hope it keeps the mixed mode...

The MX5 balaces well yet I like the feel of the MXT better..so hope they give a pistol grip setup...

I would not go back to a regular MXT after having the PRO..I like the ground grab on the handle...

the SEF 10x12 makes the machine as deep as any....

MXT is my favorite Whites of all time....I hope on the upgrade it gives us manual ground bal...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 26, 2015 02:12AM
Old Cal - did the Audio test and yes it is very clear difference between Iron and low conductors and high conductors. I used relic mode with Iron ID. Low Conductor has low tone, Iron has Grunt and High conductors have a high tone.

Bryanna - Nebraska

February 26, 2015 02:33AM
Just was making the comment,because you made a list,and if you havent used it,was wondering how you came up with it? You mention depth and ability to work iron need to be improved. While these may not be world class, I would say neither are its weeknesses. Ive had a couple of the older MXT's,not the newer pros. Never cared for the 9.5" coil,but was happy with the 6x10 & shooters. Definitely agree on the weight, but it is also dang solid. Very popular detector in my area. Ray