Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

DEEEEEEEP!!!!!

Posted by rexy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
DEEEEEEEP!!!!!
February 26, 2015 05:56PM
Hello everyone!
I am taking a survey of detection depth on coins. I am hoping to create a book comparing the different specs and depth capabilities of different metal detectors and compiling them into this guide to detection depth.
I will appreciate if as many people contribute to this as possible. I am looking for the deepest (coin) you and your metal detector has ever detected, and dug for. Please, I am looking to include any metal detector, new or vintage, Garrett, Minelab, Fisher, Whites, Tesoro, Teknetics, Aka, XP, Nokta/Makro, Nautilus, troy, Viking, deeptech and even Bounty Hunter.

Please add the depth, the target (coin) detected, and the coil used. And if possible, the settings on the detector, such as the sensitivity, ground balance, and discrimination(If possible).
It could be any coin of any size of any material, copper, silver etc..
Happy Hunting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 06:19PM by rexy.
Re: DEEEEEEEP!!!!!
February 26, 2015 06:12PM
You might want to revise your post to say maybe deepest coin, bullet etc. I, and I know others have dug aluminum soda cans down to 2+ feet with many detectors, really large iron....some of these I have given up on!
February 26, 2015 06:12PM
OK, here is my fish story.........

Since it is a balmy 19 degrees here in Ks. I will tell about an 11 inch deep 2¢ coin I found many moons ago. It was found at an old Victorian house sight that had been pounded for years. No silver in that yard except three 2¢ pieces, one shield, one V and one Buf nickel. Found in 1997 with a White's XLT tuned to the gills with a custom program and the Blue Max 950 coil.
February 26, 2015 06:22PM
I revised it.

Thanks, great story hombre!! nice find.
February 26, 2015 07:17PM
In the last year Ive dug approx 10 copper pennies and one dime at a measured 11" in school lawns that have been mowed for years. The pennies were dug with an explorer 2 10x12 sef. Open disc sense from 26-30. The dime was found w/a whites vx3 in locked all metal/pin point. Disc mode didnt see it.
February 26, 2015 07:42PM
You are opening up a topic that very rarely remains polite. First off different dirt yields different depth results. I have dug 16 inch deep quarters in the sand with my sovereign. But I would never hit them in the dirt. And I have seen some depth claims through time on the forums that I would have to call BS on.
February 26, 2015 07:54PM
Like any good fish story.
It only gets bigger / deeper as time goes by.
February 26, 2015 07:54PM
I dug 2 Indian heads at 11" with a Sovereign XS2a with the 8" coil in northern Michigan. The ground is mild here.

Rick
February 26, 2015 08:11PM
The last penny that I dug was 7,918 miles deep. I just dug it on the shallow side of the earth. 10"

Tom in SC
February 26, 2015 10:42PM
Well many don't believe me on this one,But first off my ground is mild and I was in an open wooded area years back with little trash and the coins at this site are deep. I was using my first original 1021 CZ-3D with the Sunray FZ-12 Coil I just bought new. I could run the Sens. wide open on this CZ-3D with out falsing in low trash ares like this one and dug a Barber Dime at about 14''. I didn't have a ruler,But since I was in a ''wooded area'' I was using a Samson shovel with the 8'' blade and after I dug the coin I could almost put the shovel blade 2 lengths in the hole. And there was also about 1-2'' of Leaves on the ground if you believe that! Lastly let me say this wasn't a Lock on high coin no brainer hit as it boucned from high coin to zinc coin to iron and super soft.Also ground was the perfect amount of moist.
February 26, 2015 11:21PM
Have dug many 6 to 12 inch silver dimes with various CZ models over the years......always used the 8 inch stock coil with volume maxed and sens. between 4 and 6 out of 10...

Deepest coin I ever dug was with a CZ5, volume maxed, 8 inch coil and sens. at 6 out of 10......lake had been drained and in the wet sandy bottom managed a black walking half dollar at 16 inches.
Certainly never would have dug on land and imagine the moisture and ability to an sandscoop out the target measured depth of hole with my extended arm and am sure it didn't fall from the side of the hole as it was just under my last scoop imbedded in the solid sand..Not thats deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 11:24PM by Dan-Pa..
February 26, 2015 11:25PM
I would have to say..10.5" dime with my CZ5..8" coil mild soil in (Michigan) disc-tabs sens-3/4
February 26, 2015 11:29PM
How do you tell how deep you have dug, when I pop a plug out of the ground they are usually a foot deep, I hunt fields and I use a spaded shovel, a lot of times the signal is in the hole, but it could have fallen in or dropped out of the plug, does that mean it's down 15 inches, who knows, I have dug coins that go back into the 1600's two inches down and dug stink-in Lincoln's a foot down, probably a LC at 15 inches in a field , it was flat in the hole
February 27, 2015 03:34AM
I dug a large cent at 17 inches using a Nautilus IIb. It only reported on the all-metal side. I only dug it because I had so few signals I decided to dig them all, and it was very faint but repeatable. Could just as well been a nail.
February 27, 2015 11:15AM
1907 barber dime using a Fisher 1266x with 12" Hothead coil at a measured 12". I had to do a happy dance cause that was my first piece of silver and now come to think of it the only Barber coin I've ever found.
February 27, 2015 04:41PM
1990's minelab sovereign xs with 8" coinsearch coil. Extra hot machine. ( wish I still had) Lake Michigan beach sand. 10' up from the waterline. Numerous clad coins found in the 20" (measured). range. Iron mask on very low, sensitivity hi. I would barely get a blip above the threshold. Wiggling back and forth, if the signal had a slight delay, it was small iron, otherwise it was non ferrous. The sand and moisture was perfect in this damp sand. Moving up in the dry sand, the depth fell off, and detecting on the grass, the depth was much less again. But that machine loved that freshwater damp sand. Plus, It was a hot machine. My cousin had a detector just like it, and it was no where near as hot.
February 27, 2015 04:47PM
Hi,,,,,Garrett AT Pro totally confirmed almost exactly 7" on a silver Washington quarter this was the deepest coin I dug when I had it ....Fisher CZ-3D 8" to 9" on a Barber dime....Would like to try a big coil on the 3D to see if more depth can be obtained....Sorry but I just don't have any phenomenal depths to report.....These are my realistic/accurate results and I hunt 4 to 10 hours a day....I guess I need a deeper machine to get them deep hidden gems like everyone else is getting....LoL......JJ
February 28, 2015 01:10AM
jimmyjiver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,,,,,Garrett AT Pro totally confirmed almost
> exactly 7" on a silver Washington quarter this was
> the deepest coin I dug when I had it ....Fisher
> CZ-3D 8" to 9" on a Barber dime....Would like to
> try a big coil on the 3D to see if more depth can
> be obtained....Sorry but I just don't have any
> phenomenal depths to report.....These are my
> realistic/accurate results and I hunt 4 to 10
> hours a day....I guess I need a deeper machine to
> get them deep hidden gems like everyone else is
> getting....LoL......JJ

Sorry to hear to hear about your poor results...The big coil will make a difference on your cz..but not good in trash...
March 02, 2015 03:11PM
Thanks for all of the great comments, I appreciate the contributions
Anyone else?