Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

OT for the forum but, what's your other passion besides detecting?

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
OT for the forum but, what's your other passion besides detecting?
February 27, 2015 03:41PM
I absolutely love fly fishing for big bluegills and redbellies in the river with the occasional bass eating the popper. Most likely from June through the first part of Oct. I'll be in the skiff on the river every waking moment I can. Love it! Some outstanding fun on a 3 wt rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 03:41PM by Jack Flynn.
Re: OT for the forum but, what's your other passion besides detecting?
February 27, 2015 05:38PM
Now Jack that is what keeps the world going around.

I had got out of fly fishing but lately thinking about starting back. No trout here but plenty of those bluegill to go around.

Dwight
February 27, 2015 06:29PM
I like collecting old case pocket knives from the 60-70's. I also am getting back into playing Guitar not that I'm any good just know a few chords,But it is fun and relaxing during the winter months here in the Windy City.I use to collect beer cans back in the 70's still have a few,But now a days I prefer some of the old soda cans like the old cone or flat tops.
February 27, 2015 07:55PM
Nice bull gills, Jack! I love fly fishing, but mostly for salmon and steelhead. Although I do have a 5 wt. sitting around... I do some tourney bass fishing, night time cat fishing...guess I'd say fishing! I play guitar, although haven't been in a band for many years. Duck and goose hunting, traditional archery for deer. I also love motorcycles. But the problem is I buy them broken, fix them up (usually with hot rod upgrades, i.e.. cam, carb, etc), ride them through the summer, then sell them in the fall. So I'm always looking for a bike this time of year...Lol. Two summers ago I put 17k miles on my Venture in one season. Love to ride..
cdv
February 27, 2015 09:32PM
Darn nice gills there... and that is the way to have fun catching them too! Used to fish, hunt, and ride but now that I beach detect most days of the week, I've given up most of the other stuff. Now when I can't get out to metal detect, I spend most of my time doing pencil sketches and making coin rings.
Still have all the fishing gear and guns and bow.... if they don't get used soon, I may just have to sell them to get some extra detectors.....you can never have enough detectors.... :-)

Cliff
February 27, 2015 09:40PM
I like the outdoors. Love hunting, rifles especially using rim fire. Was into the air rifle scene, got to expensive vs rimfire so got out of it. Do a little archery hunting. Have done a little ginseng root digging. Like to ride my polaris ranger some. Was into target shooting, but detecting cut into that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 10:06PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 27, 2015 10:09PM
I enjoy photography and amateur leatherwork. Have also been a "car guy" most of my life, and am in the process of finishing a ground-up 1970 Falcon resto/mod. Hoping to have it completed this year...
February 27, 2015 10:10PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the outdoors. Love hunting, rifles
> especially using rim fire. Was into the air rifle
> scene, got to expensive vs rimfire so got out of
> it. Do a little archery hunting. Have done a
> little ginseng root digging. Like to ride my
> polaris ranger some. Was into target shooting,
> but detecting cut into that.

Hey TNS please tell me you picked up those pesky 22 casings!! LOL I hate those darn things!!
February 27, 2015 10:10PM
Anything outdoors...fishin,huntin,wheelin,camping,hiking,roofing.
February 27, 2015 10:13PM
Chili growing is my other passion.
February 27, 2015 10:38PM
Whitewater kayaking....all through the SE and eastern US, Canada, central and south America. Do a little Civil War reenacting. Also collect Pre-Columbian art.
February 27, 2015 11:06PM
There are a few things I love to do besides detecting ~ playing guitar, building hot rods, camping, and trout fishing.
BUT, my passion is still metal detecting / treasure hunting. I am into my 48th. continuous year and still going.
February 27, 2015 11:17PM
Watch collecting for me - especially Casios and cheap Russian dive watches. I've been detecting SoCal for about 35 years.
February 27, 2015 11:26PM
Bottle Digging,,,,Indian Artifact hunting,,,Genealogy,,,

Collecting treasure related book,newspaper leads..I have some as far back as 1733 printing dates..

Anything to do with the Georgia State seal thats older than 1899..Paper/Ephemera....Metal...ceramic...etc..

Antique Postcards from My area older than 1930,,,Preferably undivided back era 1901-1907

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 27, 2015 11:27PM
I shovel snow, at lease I do this winter, we have 5 feet of snow and the harbour is iced in, I figured if I shovel all winter, my arms are going to be strong for spring, I have no other hobbies, just detecting in Maine
February 28, 2015 12:16AM
Hunted and fished for years but when the detecting bug hit me it was all over....Bowled for years but diabetic neuropathy from diabetes now affects my balance....but if I stagger in the field heck who cares...
At 76 just may have to go back to boat fishing and those chubby bluegills and poppers sure brought back some old memories...
February 28, 2015 12:45AM
other than detecting am into Gold Prospecting. I have a hard time trying to do both. I live in KY. and there is not any gold i am told. I have about 3oz. where there is not any. I love to dredge, just about like detecting and finding a nice coin, or buttion when you see that yellow in your pan.
February 28, 2015 12:48AM
Building and flying Quadcopters. Makes great videos and photos......

Tom in SC
February 28, 2015 12:57AM
I'm into fishing saltwater for fluke,seabass,tautog. And I like metal fabrication/welding. I run heavy equipment for a living i really enjoy finish grading with a dozer. I'm also into firearms of all kind. Got my first detector at 10 it was a whites 2500. I'm 37 now. I've had around 45 detectors through out my detecting adventures and just love detecting and finding new spots to detect.
February 28, 2015 01:09AM
Mostly crappie fishing for me, as far as enjoying life and spending time with my dad. Bass fishing is also good here. The newest Tennessee state record Largemouth just came from Chickamauga lake just a couple weeks ago. Weighed 15.2 lbs, and is quite a fishery to have basically in my backdoor. Competitive archery has had my attention for the last few years but it's not really a passion...more like an obsession. There's not really a lot of relaxing when you're dealing with nerves and such from a national level Pro/Am event.

February 28, 2015 01:11AM
I enjoy playing guitar. Being 30 minutes from the Martin factory is extremely hard on the wallet though. Makes detectors cheap by comparison.
I have been working on a Barber quarter collection for quite some time.

chief goal this summer is to find a nice old silver coin while Ozzie collects more turkey bands.
February 28, 2015 01:44AM
Daniel spend all the time you can with your DAD,

I still think about my Dad everyday...even at times go to call him before I catch myself...

lifes too short....I thought My dad would live to be in his 90s like most of His family line and die in his sleep one day...

In the end I had about 7-8 minutes to tell him everything ..and I did not get past a few words....At least I got to him so he wasnt alone and it eases my mind to know...

EVERYONE spend OBSCENE amounts of TIME with your loved ones....YOU NEVER KNOW!!!!

I hope you and your DAD get lots of time together in this life Daniel...I hope he lives to be 101!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 28, 2015 01:51AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Mostly crappie fishing for me, as far as enjoying
> life and spending time with my dad. Bass fishing
> is also good here. The newest Tennessee state
> record Largemouth just came from Chickamauga lake
> just a couple weeks ago. Weighed 15.2 lbs, and is
> quite a fishery to have basically in my backdoor.
> Competitive archery has had my attention for the
> last few years but it's not really a
> passion...more like an obsession. There's not
> really a lot of relaxing when you're dealing with
> nerves and such from a national level Pro/Am
> event.
> Nice bass dude! I used to be pretty hardcore into fishin,pretty much since I could walk. Got into detecting about 15 years ago,and havent fished much since. Now Im getting the itch again...bad! Btw,the world record spot was caught last year on my favorite local lake..and there are huge smallies and Largemouth in my area too. Going detecting tomorrow,but Sunday think its bass time!
> [is100.imagesocket.com]
> 2792-uzmq.jpg
>
> [is200.imagesocket.com]
> 2794-vi9f.jpg
February 28, 2015 01:57AM
Used to fish in 30 or so bass tournaments a year, and then detect from October through March. Had to cut back on both a little to follow my youngest daughter to swim meets and track meets across the country. And my two year old grandson loves Bassmaster, so I'll probably have a new fishing and hunting buddy in the next few years.
well said Keith
February 28, 2015 03:04AM
When we had our kid 9 years ago I kind of gave up all hobbies because I didn't want to regret not spending enough time with him. Now he's 9 and I'm trying to get him into detecting and stuff but he forcing me into new hobbies like Lego and pokemon cards lol. I still have an old stamp collection from when I was a kid and that was fun. I've been thinking of getting back into stamps and coins.
February 28, 2015 04:19AM
Have a passion for math, numbers etc, More so than metal detecting my second passion would be research. Metal detecting falls around 3rd or 4th if that.

Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 04:20AM by Old California.
February 28, 2015 07:23AM
Nice px guys! Be it the dog days of summer or deep winter my other passion is hookingr slab crappie.

Enjoy a northern ice trip to pull some through a hole every so often, even if they are a bit small lol.

cdv
February 28, 2015 08:30AM
Tom41 Wrote:
> Nice px guys! Be it the dog days of summer or
> deep winter my other passion is hookingr slab
> crappie.
>
> [i29.photobucket.com]
> 014norm_zpsqeztw0sd.jpeg
>
> [i29.photobucket.com]
> 12312173155.jpg
>
> Enjoy a northern ice trip to pull some through a
> hole every so often, even if they are a bit small
> lol.
>
> [i29.photobucket.com]
> ce%20fishing%20trip/022313083945_zps29f4c7a8.jpg

Now that hurts, boy do I miss big crappie through the ice or in the spring at spawn/post spawn.......nice pictures!

Cliff
February 28, 2015 10:09AM
February 28, 2015 10:12AM
Right now I spend most of the time working. Sounds pitiful, but I would rather work in the Winter to have off for detecting when the weather breaks. I enjoy playing Poker and play once a month in a league. I enjoy bicycle riding on the rail trails as well. Detecting consumes most of my hobby time. Research and forums. I really enjoy the learning part of it. Sounds funny coming from me because I was a lousy student in school. I didn't appreciate it at the time. Well it's 5:15 AM off to work. I have to pay for that Racer some how.