Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher 1236x2 vs. Tesoro Vaquero?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher 1236x2 vs. Tesoro Vaquero?
March 10, 2015 11:34PM
I was wondering those of you have used both which you prefer and why? I had a Vaquero for a short time,But always wanted to try a Fisher 1236x2 for a easy break down deep woods type detector for old iron ridden house sites. Always love the Fisher modulated audio over Tesoro's. Also are all Fisher 1236x2 Los banos made if not are all the same? Thanks for all replys.
Re: Fisher 1236x2 vs. Tesoro Vaquero?
March 10, 2015 11:55PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was wondering those of you have used both which
> you prefer and why? I had a Vaquero for a short
> time,But always wanted to try a Fisher 1236x2 for
> a easy break down deep woods type detector for old
> iron ridden house sites. Always love the Fisher
> modulated audio over Tesoro's. Also are all Fisher
> 1236x2 Los banos made if not are all the same?
> Thanks for all replys.

I had a 1236X2 and it was a unit that was assembled overseas from Los Banos parts, just one of those weird trade agreements that Clinton pipe dreamed and screwed the American workers. It was an OK beep & digger, my Bandido was much better, so I sold it. Still have the Bandido which reminds of the newer Outlaw and we have talked about the Outlaw over the phone, you know how I feel about that detector. Just my 2¢.........
March 10, 2015 11:59PM
Thanks for not ''Big Timin'' me Hombre, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
March 11, 2015 12:05AM
Harrold...

I would not "Big Time" you unless you was wondering about some other detectors I have not used... I can not comment on the newer digital models other than the MX5 and the analog Tesoros, I'm just too poor to try them all.........LoL
March 11, 2015 03:43AM
It shows on metaldetectorreviews that that a 1236x2 will pick up a 14-15" quarter I don't know if this is airtest or in ground but I just find it either way hard to believe!! Was this a sleeper machine or what? I also seen that Keith gave it a pretty good review on there!!
March 11, 2015 02:38PM
I have a 1236x2. It is a nice detector. Can be hipmounted. You can take it in the water in a small backpack. It hits my test dime at 7 1/2" and quarter at 8".

It doesn't have the separation that Tesoro has.

My main detector is a Tejon.

So overall I would recommend the Vaquaro or Tejon. With these you can gb in disc and get great depth.

Rick
March 11, 2015 06:20PM
I can tell you my Vaquero had excellent depth(10+ inches) on coin size targets in my mild soil and separation was also very good. Alas, I became a tone hunter and migrated over to the Fisher machines.
March 13, 2015 04:52PM
Thought Keith Southern wouid have a comment or two as he knows both detectors well.
March 14, 2015 09:44PM
I love the 1236 in iron with small 5 inch coil...

I liked the Los Banos units the best..seemed hotter...

Keep the silencer turned off preset iron switch engaged....and it will pull stuff out of iron very well...Not ont he level of the Vaquero wiht small coil but still for a low freq Fisher old school type audio report say along the lines of the 1266 it will do very well at digging co-locates...

the Silencer is the trick on that unit..turn it on and its dead ion iron...turn it off and it will dig items out of iron..although it will be noisy you jsut listen for the clean hits and ingore the spits and pop's...

the silencer was way ahead of its time.....its actually a filter...turned off its audio is very bleedy and even allows ground noise in....Turned on and its very clean and precise and calm...

al around the Vaqueo will be deeper and also dig more out of iron....

But for an old school type Fisher I feel it was the best unmasker they ever made at Los Banos.

I dug a 1700's Spanish 2 reale once out of a house site years ago that the 1236 hit clean with silencer off iron disc switch on....that the Bandito 2 umax would not hit clean on it on zero disc(Nail reject)..I tested it on the target before I dug it...both had 8 inch coils on..

I saw the 1236 make some head scratching finds through out the years in iron..

One advanatge the 1236 has is it hears the iron and talks to you...you wont dig the big pieces of flat iron like will fool the Vaquero...

keith

I

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 15, 2015 02:30PM
WOW! Thanks for the reply Keith as I learned a lot about both detectors. You are a wealth of knowledge and a credit to the forum my friend!