Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Got The Seminar Video today

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Got The Seminar Video today
June 05, 2010 12:01AM
Thanks Wally/ Tom!!

I've watched it already.Will say it was well laid out and informative!So much to cover so little time..Hopefully after a few people have watched it we can have some in depth discussion on it..Especially the relic hunting...

I have been civil war relic hunting for a quarter of century ever since I found my first 3 ringer..And I can Honestly see where you are coming from..And I agree totally that only 5 % of the items have been recovered...

I hunt The civil war period house sites in the march routes and battle areas exclusively for the past 15-18 years or so.. And Believe me I know about the masking and some of the different tricks used to get the items out..

One bad thing about the house sites is first you have to clean up the big iron just to get down to the nails and that's a job in its self!!

Add the N.Georgia red clay into the mix and things can get nasty quick!

You have to love it because it is a labor of love!

Heck I don't work as hard on my 12 hour shift job as I do relic hunting!!

But again good DVD Tom!!

Thanks Wally for making it available at a realistic price!

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2010 12:02AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Got The Seminar Video today
June 05, 2010 12:44AM
Sounds like things are working well. Thanks for this input also! Interesting that BOTH beach detectorists and relic detectorists alike..... are finding the info helpful!
Me Too!!
June 06, 2010 01:58AM
Thanks to Wally for the superfast shipping!! Haven't had time to watch yet but hopefully tomorrow will be a quiet day and I can at least get to the Relic video. Looking forward to it!!

Thanks again Wally!!

Dave
June 06, 2010 11:29AM
Got mine on order Saturday and got notified it shipped same day.
Wow, what service.
June 06, 2010 05:19PM
Just got both copies Saturday!! (1 for me and 1 for a buddy)
Viewing them today right after breakfast!!

Many Thanks...
June 08, 2010 01:27AM
Ordered Saturday and it arrived today. Wow.
June 16, 2010 12:38AM
I got mine yesterday but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Had to finish a book and do some yard work. Can't wait, maybe i'll get to watch some tomorrow.

Julien
June 18, 2010 04:23PM
Got mine yesterday and finished watching the Beach video last night. Kudos guys, well done. As Tom mentions, there's some familiar info there, especially having been lucky enough to sit in on one or two of Tom's sessions during past GSBS hunt weekends, but also some invaluable new information. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and found myself wishing they didn't have to wrap it up when they did.

My favorite quote from the video was "it's not knowing how to use the detector, it's knowing how to use the intelligence of where on the beach to hunt." Oh, so true.
June 19, 2010 03:22AM
Glad it helped. NOW..................what REALLY matters..................is if your 'finds' suddenly start to increase. This is about the only way to measure a 'intelligence gain'. Yes, sand pumped in from offshore can destroy natural beach conditions.
June 22, 2010 01:13PM
I'll let you know. The first thing I have to do is stop hunting 'stupid'. I know there are times I'm walking the water's edge and picking up nothing but pull tabs and other light non-ferrous stuff, and I just KNOW that I am attempting to beat the poor odds that I'll find something. But I have, on rare occasion, pulled a gold ring on the shoreline in those conditions, and that fact alone keeps me hunting stupid. Not that I don't look for the coin line, troughs, etc., but if they can't be located, I tend to keep on walking straight along the edge.
I'm going to try and cut back on that type of hunting and just take a few tips on either walking away from bad conditions or maybe trying something altogether different when conditions warrant. For instance, hunting the dry sand with the 75 LTD and a sifter type scoop that day. It takes self-discipline because it's hot and sometimes crowded up there and you dig a LOT of tiny trash targets, as you well know. Plus, we have the traffic lane to deal with here, which cuts down on huntable areas when the beach is open to cars.
June 22, 2010 09:58PM
Hmmmmm. We share a similar pride issue. If I cannot find a trough.............no density stratification line............I will hunt anywhere (within reason).....because I expended time/money/effort to come to the beach.........and I WILL finish out with hunting 'something'. Sometimes......the only trough......is a low density trough at the waters edge. If this is the only area producing targets.........I'll hunt it..........hoping to find a light filigree gold ring that is about the same density as a aluminum soda tab.
Yes, it's rare......but there are times when the beach produces NO trough.