Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Garrett Target Imaging Detectors - was it cool tech or smoke and mirrors

Posted by Bryannagirl 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Garrett Target Imaging Detectors - was it cool tech or smoke and mirrors
March 11, 2015 03:25PM
I was flipping through some stuff and saw an old video produced by Garrett hyping there Target Imaging system on the GTI1500 and GTI2500. I notice no longer something they promote with there new detectors - but the ability to accurately size a target in the ground would be cool but I am kind of thinking this was more smoke and mirrors then real technology.

I know we can guess size via how we use our coils, but would be nice if there was an accurate way via technology to do it as well. So did Garrett really have something?

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
Re: Garrett Target Imaging Detectors - was it cool tech or smoke and mirrors
March 11, 2015 04:00PM
No smoke and mirrors just accurate sizing, however after 5-6 inches didn't work well....In other words if it was a can that registered as a coin on the ID....when one used the imaging feature it showed much larger and no dig.....although many rings and thing such as a tab may show the same size once you got the hang of it and the junk in your ground it helped to a degree...Speaking from experience as have owned a GTI2500 which was too big and boxy still own and use a GTI1500 as certainly a good tool with its notching and imaging features for general detecting in local parks and have found gold rings and a large gold bracelet using the 1500....
March 11, 2015 04:22PM
They showed a GTI 2500 looked huge. I wonder how they were able to determine size?
To bad they did not perfect that more.
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No smoke and mirrors just accurate sizing, however
> after 5-6 inches didn't work well....In other
> words if it was a can that registered as a coin on
> the ID....when one used the imaging feature it
> showed much larger and no dig.....although many
> rings and thing such as a tab may show the same
> size once you got the hang of it and the junk in
> your ground it helped to a degree...Speaking from
> experience as have owned a GTI2500 which was too
> big and boxy still own and use a GTI1500 as
> certainly a good tool with its notching and
> imaging features for general detecting in local
> parks and have found gold rings and a large gold
> bracelet using the 1500....

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
March 12, 2015 02:33AM
its no different than sizing your target in all metal mode..your eyes and ears can image just as well..smoke and mirrors? i would say so
March 12, 2015 02:42AM
Bryannagirl,
The White's V3i and I think the VX3 can reflect sizing of sorts. I've used V3i, once you get the hang of it, it does work, but at deeper depths not so reliable. You can even tell believe it or not, if a coin is tilted in the ground before you dig.
March 12, 2015 03:02PM
Basically at bottom of display and when you pinpoint a sizing graph will light up from A to E,,,,,,,,A-smaller than coin..B coin size..C larger than coin but smaller than 12 oz. can size E larger than 12 oz. can...

Sure an experienced operator depending on his unit can size by sound and doubt seriously if he could tell A thru E....but more like larger or smaller than a coin and again would take practice and experience.

Unfortunately objects both good and bad could fall under these categories but an experienced GTI operator would certainly have an advantage to dig or not...not rocket science and depth limited to 5-6 inches but works...Do realize these units were not depth demons but liked gold jewelry more than many high priced units..
March 13, 2015 11:24PM
I have a gti 1500 still and I know if it a coin or junk, I dug so many coins from ball fields with the smallest holes, I just can't find ball fields around here anymore, someone tore them up a few years ago and they won't let you on them anymore, I bought my XLT with the clad I dug in one year
March 14, 2015 12:34AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Basically at bottom of display and when you
> pinpoint a sizing graph will light up from A to
> E,,,,,,,,A-smaller than coin..B coin size..C
> larger than coin but smaller than 12 oz. can size
> E larger than 12 oz. can...
>
> Sure an experienced operator depending on his unit
> can size by sound and doubt seriously if he could
> tell A thru E....but more like larger or smaller
> than a coin and again would take practice and
> experience.
>
> Unfortunately objects both good and bad could fall
> under these categories but an experienced GTI
> operator would certainly have an advantage to dig
> or not...not rocket science and depth limited to
> 5-6 inches but works...Do realize these units were
> not depth demons but liked gold jewelry more than
> many high priced units..

They like/d gold coins too Dan

I found my 1st gold coin in 2005 with my GTI 2500 (a 1909 $5 indian) in a yard of an old victorian home.

Slammed a solid nickel/tab tab/nickel reading on the screen and bell toning like crazy at about 4" deep.

Before the GTI's back in the early/mid 90s I used the GTA machines and found 1000s and 1000s of coins with them (mainly the GTA 1000 and GTAx 1000 with a 5x10 elliptical coil).

They were a fun little machine to use being the 1st compact digital Garrett units and after having been swinging the old arm & shoulder killing Grand Master CX's and the like for a decade prior.

I still like the GTI 2500 as a 2 boxer with the Bloodhound hooked up to her for cache hunting -- it'll find a mason jar of coins (or the like) at 3 to 4 ft deep no problem ;-)