Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

do you dig a penny

Posted by artdegiovanni 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
do you dig a penny
March 14, 2015 05:25AM
I was detecting a park got a penny hit no other target. Dug penny, went over hole again got another penny only hit, dug the penny, did this 2 more times and then got a silver dime 4" below those penny's. All within a 5" circle. Penny maskin. Anybody else have this happen?
Re: do you dig a penny
March 14, 2015 05:53AM
artdegiovanni Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was detecting a park got a penny hit no other
> target. Dug penny, went over hole again got
> another penny only hit, dug the penny, did this 2
> more times and then got a silver dime 4" below
> those penny's. All within a 5" circle. Penny
> maskin. Anybody else have this happen?

Not that, but I got a hit on a target at about 8" down, dug it up and it was a mercury dime and right next to it (or should I say below it) was a Kennedy silver dollar standing straight up on edge. and I always wondered if the dime was not there would I have hit the silver dollar? Anyway I love when stuff like that happens, it just makes my day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2015 05:56AM by u2robert.
March 14, 2015 11:13AM
Digging pennies has resulted in my recovering at least 2 gold class rings in the last few year's. And yes, they do on occasion mask something older and good. HH jim tn
March 14, 2015 11:22AM
How can you not ? I'm not after clad but where I hunt, when a penny signal comes up .....ya gotta dig it.
March 14, 2015 01:59PM
I have the little blue coin books for the 1c coins to see how complete a set I can get just from digging....so it all gets dug. I have 4 very old rings from digging them all

I will not get rich with this hobby but I get more satisfaction out of being thorough.
March 14, 2015 02:15PM
I dig em all zinc or copper!!
March 14, 2015 02:43PM
Depends on the area as some areas are penny colonies.....Watching a fellow dig a nice large gold diamond bracelet from a penny signal sure would make us all penny diggers....
Anonymous User
March 14, 2015 03:02PM
I think you have to dig any penny signal as a lot of items could hit on that signal. Even if it's a penny it could be the right one. I'm thinking by "penny signal" we are talking about copper pennies. I have disced out the Zincolns before to get over an area while I had the chance.
March 14, 2015 03:18PM
My purpose in buying a target ID detector was to keep from digging so much unwanted trash items when coin hunting. In my mind, a zinc penny is trash and I don't want to waste time digging the corroded things. I know that some things will be missed by not digging them but you'll miss a lot of good things by not digging foil and tab signals too. Now when it comes to the copper pennies, those are harder to cipher between it and a dime. I reluctantly dig those but always hate seeing that memorial building when they come up. A wheat cent ain't much better but it's a little better. Indians are my favorite.

When I'm relic hunting I will dig anything and everything for the most part.
March 14, 2015 03:28PM
If you avoid zinc penny signals, you'll miss Indian head pennies lol
March 14, 2015 04:11PM
Zinc pennies and large gold class rings register at the same ID on my machine. I know it sucks to dig a zinc penny but sometimes it pays off with huge gold ring. Heck I even dig pull tabs in the hopes of a good gold ring.
March 14, 2015 04:33PM
Hombre Wrote:
> If you avoid zinc penny signals, you'll miss
> Indian head pennies lol

When I used a sovereign w/sunray,could tell a indian from a zinc,buffalo from a jefferson,and at times even an early wheat vs.a newer wheat. not kidding.
March 14, 2015 04:44PM
deathray Wrote:
> Hombre Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you avoid zinc penny signals, you'll miss
> > Indian head pennies lol
>
>
> When I used a sovereign w/sunray,could tell a
> indian from a zinc,buffalo from a jefferson,and at
> times even an early wheat vs.a newer wheat. not
> kidding.

I'm a relic/old coin hunter, in most of the places I hunt, I don't need a meter, anything above iron nail gets dug. I like surprises..Lol
March 14, 2015 05:02PM
Penny masking of a slightly different kind:

on my ctx 3030 i get a "low medium" strength{not a screamer} 12-43, 12-42 very small profile{dime like}. i cut a 4 inch plug and in the plug is a 1946 quarter. on checking the plug there was a penny that was above the quarter. nothing else in the hole or plug. if anything the quarter and the penny should of been a loud screamer but it wasnt. how can this be? no emi or tough ground

It was a 1943 rusted steel penny masking the silver quarter.

Bey
March 14, 2015 05:08PM
I dug an Indian head penny last night, the depth was about 8 or 9 inches deep, it came in as a modulated beep on my Outlaw, beep & dig is my motto.
March 14, 2015 05:18PM
100 pennies = a dollar. $17.44 = a .999 pure 1oz. silver bullion round at today's prices. Still saving the pennies and if I happen to find a good target in the process...

Like Rod-Pa said, I won't get rich in this hobby but that silver round will look sweet compared to all those crappy zinc pennies.
March 14, 2015 08:05PM
deathray Wrote:
> When I used a sovereign w/sunray,could tell a
> indian from a zinc,buffalo from a jefferson,and at
> times even an early wheat vs.a newer wheat. not
> kidding.

I've noticed similar experiences with the V3i. No problems in analyze mode in differentiating a zinc from an Indian head penny, and surprisingly I have noticed slight but consistent differences in Vdi numbers from newer wheaties to older, usually starting in the mid to later twenties. I haven't had the opportunity to discern or experience differences between Jefferson vs. buffalo nickels as I don't dig enough of them. Interesting to know other detectors are able to 'see' the minute variances in metal composition. I still dig all if time allows, as others have stated, that 'zinc penny' signal could be a large class ring or something of the white gold variety that could pose as a zinc cent.
March 14, 2015 10:00PM
Masking comes in all form's..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 14, 2015 10:11PM
I dig it all. Hate zinc, but gotta dig it.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
March 14, 2015 10:42PM
A few years back, I was searching a postage stamp of a front yard from 1920. I dug about 40 pennies all two inches down from the 1970's. At times in groups of two and three. Being that I wasn't really interested in 70's pennies, contemplated quitting, but yard was so small, decided to finish it out. At the same two inch depth, out comes an 1849 Large Cent. Had to be in either fill dirt, or was lost/thrown by the same tike who chucked the Lincolns around (maybe an old coin that Gramma told him not to lose) The coin is not in good shape, but in 9 years, it is still my oldest coin, and the only LC I've ever rescued. I don't think I've ever passed on any coin since.
March 15, 2015 10:19AM
I did a post on another site referencing new machines being used for beach hunting. I use an Xcal and noticed i was digging more pennies. It got me thinking about machines like the CTX and others future machines. Will pennnies be the new pull tabs..... since i know some of the guys are now checking the screen and leaving those pennies. The better the TIG gets on deeper targets the more trash/undesired target they leave. What if they did away with the Xcal and CZ? Think about what a PI might have to dig in the future.
March 15, 2015 03:22PM
yup, and that's how I buy the next machine I like, now what do you do with the bucket of half eaten beach clad, reseed the beach with them in the spring
March 15, 2015 04:04PM
Yes, I do dig 'um.
March 15, 2015 09:20PM
Caretaker, after you get a$100.00 or more you can send them to he US ment and they will end ou. Check for the $100.00 . I do it every year.
March 15, 2015 09:38PM
when I stop digging a penny VDI then it's time to go home..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 15, 2015 11:42PM
If I had a penny for every time LowBoy made a post with the words "deus" and or "racer" in them, I could retire within a year. Lol
March 16, 2015 11:33AM
thanks Fred, I got about 500 bucks of chewed up clad
March 16, 2015 11:51AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> If I had a penny for every time LowBoy made a post
> with the words "deus" and or "racer" in them, I
> could retire within a year. Lol

That there is funny!!!!!! He does love his Deus!!
March 16, 2015 05:41PM
Yes, but would rather dig nickels, dime, quarters, etc... I have passed up some iffy signals because even if they are good they are just zinc pennies.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
March 16, 2015 06:04PM
I was in a spot last week and decided to dig all pull tab readings...it was a modern spot i use for testing out machines...you won't believe the targets that were in around and under the pulltabs....I actually dug more coins than usual out of this sight by just wanting to dig pulltabs for I.d. accuracy checks. LoL..

Again masking comes in many forms..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla