Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coins On Edge

Posted by rapidroy7 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Coins On Edge
March 25, 2015 05:51AM
A couple of days ago had a eye-opener with Cz-5 ,a faint high tone, dug a slightly larger plug about 6'' deep started to put pin pointer in & spotted a copper penny on edge 3-4 inches deep in the side of the hole. Checked the hole with PP & rescanned nothing, I had missed the double beep? Later on stood a empty Kleenex box length wise roughly 3 1/2 '' x 9 '' taped top of copper penny, even with the top of the box helps keep the coil flat. The double beep gets fainter at about 4 inches but the Meter ID is solid turn sideways all bets are off, inconsistent ID and depth suffrage! Was really saddened how handicapped T2 & E-Trac both DD coils performed in the opposite of the double beep swing=(needed help wording that) depth-wise. They both were solid ID wise with double beep swing inconsistent the other way, CZ-3D with 10.5 coil was the clear winner. Also turned the box on width side, placed a phone book and put coin up on top with only slight angle which produced a double beep, it doesn't take much of a angle to produce a double beep! Wonder what percentage of coins in ground are on edge?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 06:08AM by rapidroy7.
Re: Coins On Edge
March 25, 2015 06:15AM
I think coins on edge, or nearly on edge, can explain a LOT of strange results
that cause confusion when we're metal detecting.

For one thing, I think it often explains why we miss a target when we're gridding
an area in one direction, but then hit it when we cover the same area after
rotating 90 degrees.

I think it also explains a lot of surprisingly weak signals I get on a quarter or dime
that's buried in the dry sand at the beach, even though when I scoop it up,
it was only 2 or 3 inches deep.
March 25, 2015 12:12PM
Correct.
March 25, 2015 12:45PM
The coins on edge scenario definitely a harder coin to detect. Things like depth meter inaccurate readings, weak signals, junk meter readings, blips, static, no signal at all.
And some of the lower freq deep silver seekers, I feel this is one of their weakest links. I can't prove it just yet, but highly suspect the CoRe and Racer seem to do substantially better than a lot of other units. I say this because I have never dug coin signals as tight (short) as I have witnessed using a CoRe versus any other flagship detector with small coil attached and the stock coil. And this in areas pounded with other flagship detectors. More in field time I think will solidify my suspicion.
March 25, 2015 12:52PM
I dig lots of coins on edge, they hit very nicely on my PI.
I also dig many on edge with Tesoros with disc set low.
I also dig them on edge because I know they target ID into the iron range. Canadian coins that is.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
March 25, 2015 02:37PM
Got my oldest silver coin five inches deep standing upright in the bottom of plug...1839 seated dime using a Tesoro Toltec 100 and read dime one way and penny the other angle...By the way for some reason the 10.5 CZ coil is known for getting coins on edge....Imagine many are missed especially the deep ones that's why old areas produce now and then as coin has moved.
March 25, 2015 03:32PM
Coins on edge I would guess at some point will change their direction so you may come back if you missed the target the first time and hit it the next time could be a reason to always go back and hunt a hunted site..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 25, 2015 06:03PM
Have had a LOT of 'on-edge' coins in my time.
The BBS and FBS 'tectors are good at it.
Deus bad and stopped using IT last summer when I was "looking at" coins on edge sticking out of the sand while the coil glided silently across them!!
March 25, 2015 07:20PM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have had a LOT of 'on-edge' coins in my time.
> The BBS and FBS 'tectors are good at it.
> Deus bad and stopped using IT last summer when I
> was "looking at" coins on edge sticking out of the
> sand while the coil glided silently across them!!

Really !

I have a friend with a XP Deus, I'll get him to try this out, should be easy to replicate, My cheap little Amigo ll absolutely hammers on edge coins.
March 25, 2015 07:42PM
Amigo is not cheap...just inexpensive....Tesoro builds quality units and the Compadre also fits into this category...
March 25, 2015 07:48PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Amigo is not cheap...just inexpensive....Tesoro
> builds quality units and the Compadre also fits
> into this category...

You are exactly right Dan-Pa, that is what I meant, but you say it more eloquently.......
March 25, 2015 08:55PM
Agree with Dan,Dan, the 10.5'' coil on the CZ is a deep coin on edge killer! I found a paper thin seated dime last year at about 11'' almost completely on edge. It is heavy to swing,But I will always have one to go back to a site with deep coins still left to be found.
March 26, 2015 03:33AM
Thanks for the replies, Harold your quite the CZ~Man yourself are you not ? LOL Should have worded that different about the DD coils. I'm no expert with any of those machines and like the DD coils, they work in mineralized soil, PP well once you learn & trust it, seem to cover a lot of ground fast, hope some more swingers offer some tips! thanks & HH
March 26, 2015 04:51AM
It's been my experience that the CZ with the 10.5" coil and the Minelab Sov with the 12" SunRay hit hard on coins on edge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 08:08AM by Detectorist.
March 26, 2015 05:50AM
hey there
I think the main reason for the 10.5 coil hitting better on coins on edge is in the coil construction.
The transmitting coil is a concentric one,but if you look at the receiving one you will find a tight elliptic concentric
doing the analysing work. Very Fisherlike and very rare......
Due to the amount of man made iron here in Norway I have barely tried this coil, but may be this year I will take it out
for a spin or three.....
trond
March 26, 2015 08:51PM
rapidroy7 Wrote:
> Thanks for the replies, Harold your quite the
> CZ~Man yourself are you not ? LOL Should have
> worded that different about the DD coils. I'm no
> expert with any of those machines and like the DD
> coils, they work in mineralized soil, PP well once
> you learn & trust it, seem to cover a lot of
> ground fast, hope some more swingers offer some
> tips! thanks & HH

The CZ-3D and the Etrac are my 2 big guns. I've been using CZ's on and off for about 15 years when a buddy of mine with a CZ-5 dug a Barber Quarter at about 11'' one day that my DFX couldn't hear! The next day traded my one year old DFX and 50.00 cash to Ron at Dixie metal detectors for a brand new CZ-5 and been swingin' one form of CZ or another for about 15 years. Still not quite as long as Dan,Dan, the ''Original'' CZ Man!
March 27, 2015 02:02AM
Thanks Harold, I enjoy your posts and Dan's also, what I forgot/failed to mention is that along with the double beep there is also " usually? " two separate pin-points. It is hard to replicate two PP's in air test but it seems the heel-n-toe of the coil are more sensitive than the center, especially when your perpendicular to the face of the coin or no double beep part of swing. When perpendicular sometimes no pinpoint when directly center 1'' over coin, until you move the front or back of the coil to the coin on edge?Any input would be appreciated * HH & Thanks to Detectorist & Trond !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2015 12:55PM by rapidroy7.
April 04, 2015 02:13AM
Have a theory, was wrong on DD coils in the fact they have a different detection pattern. In first testing noticed on DD coils that the front & back of coil seemed to be more responsive with the perpendicular or no double beep swing. Then sometimes when P-Pointing no P-Point when 1'' inch over center of coin on edge. Then discovered that the sides of the coil ( concentric or DD ) are just as responsive, seemed to be a contradiction to using the side of the coil for a PP because its not as sensitive. But then it hit me, when hearing the perpendicular or no double beep swing the detection patterns best shot is along side not directly over the coin, just seems like the edges of the coil are hotter? Does that make any sense? Guessing here but ~ in the field when you hear double beep instead of moving your feet perhaps push-n-pull & see if you can locate target on side of coil? & HH

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2015 10:55AM by rapidroy7.
April 04, 2015 04:23PM
DD coils Use the tip and heel for pinpoint. You can also lift the coil on edge and use the tip or heel for pinpointing.

When using an elliptical coil, the heel or tip on edge makes a good pinpointer when digging a hole or searching your dirt pile.
Saves me from spending $100 plus for a pinpointer.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
April 04, 2015 04:59PM
When I had my Gold Bug Pro that thing always hit coins on edge or at odd angles and multi-coin hits. No difference what coil was used.
April 05, 2015 03:57AM
If I'm thinking about this right when you hear the double beep & start a right handed swing left side of body, the right edge of detection pattern will slap the left side face of coin~beep then back edge of D.P. will hit the left side~ beep & vice versa on back swing? Would guess that when you hear a D.B. you could swing 90 degrees & push and pull to try and produce double beep, further narrowing down the target location? If this has been discussed before could someone provide a link, have searched coin on edge, double beep also! thanks Sven1 & TabWhisperer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 03:59AM by rapidroy7.