Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hey Wayne remember that Store they were tearing down

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hey Wayne remember that Store they were tearing down
March 28, 2015 01:29AM
here in my town....

We hunted it one evening while you were here ..

Well its gone and I was late getting there..

I went down today with the Racer and 5 inch and worked around between the dig holes..were the store set..

You can see were the cracks in the floorboards were at in the soil....

anyways did not find alot ...but did get some Wheats and a Silver Rosi...and probably the prettiest dug Buffalo Ive seen...

got some sort of button too but cant make it out....

heres some pics of the store before and after...and the measley coins..Too little too late LOL...

The Racer locks well on coins...watch the 84-86-88...ignore the 82s all 82's were junk...

On a side note the Racer with small coil I.d.'s crown caps well..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: Hey Wayne remember that Store they were tearing down
March 28, 2015 01:39AM
At least you got something out of the site. Like you said, a nice buffalo!! Sad though, another piece of history bites the dust.
March 28, 2015 01:42AM
Nice Buffalo and silver dime!!!!!!!! Way to go!!!!!!! Get those metals out of there before they pave the place over!!!! Well done, Keith!!!!!
March 28, 2015 02:28AM
That second picture is my kinda place! I like waiting until they knock off for the day and tell em goodbye then move in through the remaining debri. Good looking finds Keith.......... Dig it where you can find it!
March 28, 2015 02:43AM
You found some keepers. Measly is in the eyes of the digger.

That Buffalo is very unusual.

PacMan
March 28, 2015 02:50AM
"The Racer locks well on coins...watch the 84-86-88...ignore the 82s all 82's were junk..."

What were the targets that hit 82?

Ron
March 28, 2015 02:55AM
Hey Keith,

Good finds and a change for you coin hunting. The sad thing is you found probably about 5% or less what's actually there of the goodies where you hunted. Severe handicap with that much metal in the ground masking and bleeping back at you. But that's my kind of place. The goods are in the junk!
March 28, 2015 03:00AM
Screw caps and zincs...they read 82 as do some older pulltabs...

If your running the Racer and you get a 84 its a Copper penny...86 is a dime and 88 is a quarter..its very deadly in that instance..Might be the most accurate I.d. Ive seen with the 5 inch coil...it really locks on and holds the tone tight....

I might add I was running 3 tone in here

Buffalo was a dead lock 55...

I really admire what the Racer can do with the 5 inch coil...the F75 S.E. is the only thing as deep with that same size coil...Yet the F75 i.d. is not as accurate..

The Racer is the Apex machine with 5 inch coil for depth plus assurability of targets in modern trash...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2015 03:01AM by Keith Southern.
March 28, 2015 03:29AM
"Screw caps and zincs...they read 82 as do some older pulltabs..."

What do the Indians read, number wise?
March 28, 2015 03:32AM
What numbers do indian head cents come in at ?
March 28, 2015 03:41AM
Hey Dirt Dawg the bad thing is its been torn down for about 3 weeks or more...I did not Know it was gone...I knew it was going to be but thought it would be awhile yet ...

Hated to see it go....was once a post office too..

No telling what kind of goodies came from under the store..

the store had those cracks in the floor perfect for the goodies to fall through...

the dirt under the floor is really loose and about a foot higher than the outside dirt...I can only surmise the first dropped coins would be at the bottom of the loose dirt....I may run a trench through the middle..see what I can come up with..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
March 28, 2015 03:42AM
Man would love to have hunted that, had to be some oldies there!

Nice saves Keith, that buffalo is clean!
March 28, 2015 03:48AM
Indians come in at 74 and Flying eagles at 64

Beaver tail pulltabs at 60... screw caps dead lock 82

I stay clear of the 82s unless Im relic hinting in old sites..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
March 28, 2015 03:52AM
Yeah Cal...That Buffalo being under the floor for all those years seems to have held up well...the back side did not hold up quite as well as the front...

One of the wheats held up well too....

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
March 28, 2015 12:24PM
Keith Racer with 5" coil, exactly how is it reading and identifying rusty old bottle caps? Are they coming up as iron?
March 28, 2015 01:11PM
Poor store = hate seeing history like that just plowed under/destroyed...

Nice Buff and silver though ;-)

Did Troy hunt it with you??

Man - you can just SEE the RED in that dirt!

If I were you I'd keep my eye on that place though cuz when they excavate/level it for a new building I'm sure you'll find some good stuff there (according to that area's history)...

PS
did you check that 1955 wheat to see if it's a "double die"!? I can't make it out in the pic but the 55 would be doubled = worth a small fortune ;-) (well - enough for a new machine anyway)!
March 28, 2015 03:20PM
Hey Wayne Troy did not hunt with me yesterday..

He was on the backroad hunting another site...

Yes the dirt is bad..

Ill have to check the 55 and see Wayne...

Thanks

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
March 28, 2015 04:10PM
I'm finally getting enough time to put together my CoRe that came last week (I hate working the crazy end of month stuff at work) but can't wait to see if the Nokta will "lock on" like the racer. I want to see how it compares to the RACER on id lock on! Especially that gorgeous buffalo and silver!

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Screw caps and zincs...they read 82 as do some
> older pulltabs...
>
> If your running the Racer and you get a 84 its a
> Copper penny...86 is a dime and 88 is a
> quarter..its very deadly in that instance..Might
> be the most accurate I.d. Ive seen with the 5 inch
> coil...it really locks on and holds the tone
> tight....
>
> I might add I was running 3 tone in here
>
> Buffalo was a dead lock 55...
>
> I really admire what the Racer can do with the 5
> inch coil...the F75 S.E. is the only thing as deep
> with that same size coil...Yet the F75 i.d. is not
> as accurate..
>
> The Racer is the Apex machine with 5 inch coil for
> depth plus assurability of targets in modern
> trash...
>
> Keith
March 28, 2015 07:59PM
Man - if that's the original PO for that town (more like a 4 corners type town/crossing) as I have seen the area 1st hand ;-)

when they bulldoze/level that ground out for a new building you KNOW you're going to find some good OLD CW era stuff in there ;-)

That's the exact type of place I've been working for a couple of yrs now where I pulled that gold dollar out of (a 4 corners type crossing/town) and I've done really well in there even though it's been detected in the past by several others

Heck - you got a roto-tiller!? Take that in there and till up the dirt and detect it again! lol

I can see you now

1: 4x4 truck with 4 or 5 metal tectors in back = check!
2: trailer for hauling equipment = check!
3: lawn mower/brush hog on trailer = check!
4: roto-tiller on trailer = check!
5: quad on trailer = check!

all set to hunt "wherever"!

:-)
March 29, 2015 03:52AM
Hey Wayne the Wheat was no double strike...

went back today for awhile just managed a few Wheats...

Did snap a pic form the intersection,,,all those big beautiful oaks are now gone...heres a before and after shot..

and the trash is just unbearable...

Im done with it till they grade it some more...

its like this place was the county dump LOL!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
March 29, 2015 10:19AM
What a shame... They must have some sort of building project (restaurant or the like) in mind for that property to have cut all those nice trees out and just wipe that corner clean like that...

I remember it was pretty "trashy" ground when we were hunting it so in its current state = it has to be bad!

But like you say - when they grade/level it out and prep it for building = I'd be back there hitting it hard before they actually build and concrete the place in :-/

Hope to see you pull at least a few goodies (bullets/etc) out of there before it's paved over...

Good luck and keep us updated ;-)
March 29, 2015 04:57PM
Yeah Wayne

Dollar General

Advance Auto

And stip mall..

Gotta love progress...

theres strip mall across the street that is still vacant from new build 3 years ago..

CRAZY..

that used to be a 4 way stop with just the old country general store in the pic....now it looks like downtown Atlanta..Half million dollar homes everywhere around ..

There used to be one red light in this Whole county and that was just 25 years ago.. now theres one every 2 miles...And any store or eating establsihment known to man down here next to where I live...

Covering up the relics fast...

Progress!!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla