Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Non-Destructive Recovery new video segment

Posted by 'Wild'Wally 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The New Metal Detecting Real World Techniques Inland Coin and Relic Hunting DVD has a new segment added to the original video covering Non-Destructive Recovery Techniques. To view, follow the link below:

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
Re: Non-Destructive Recovery new video segment
June 19, 2010 03:49AM
I wish I could do that for me I have to dig the hard way//

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 19, 2010 11:25PM
i agree not only is it less destructive it"s easier on the knees and will speed up the recovery process;very easily dig a cd size hole usually a little larger for me,9 out of 10 times never disturbing the grass roots. Less chance of grass yellowing and scalping when lawnmower runs over it.P.S. any recommendations on a good shovel, and what tool does tom pull out when he hits the hard pack?
June 20, 2010 11:40AM
The little shovel in the video is about $9 at Wal-Mart and has a lifetime warranty. Many places carry this shovel; Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware etc..........

I use a rockhound pick for the hard/difficult dirt.
June 20, 2010 02:33PM
Awesome segment!!
Yeah-That shovel has come in handy MANY times...
I purchased that upon Tom's recomendation and glad I did.
June 20, 2010 04:16PM
Hey is this on youtube? PC is down/// using the Wii to do the web and the Wii pretty much only does youtube videos sad smiley
June 20, 2010 05:18PM
That is a great video and it needs to be seen by everyone. I always carry a cotton dishcloth in my belt. I tuck about three inches of one corner under my belt and anytime I have to dig more than one shovel in turf all the dirt goes on the towel. I have a little more trouble cutting such a large plug in most places because the natural ground here is hard red clay and full of rocks. In fill dirt this will work well though. I tried using a brass probe here but it was a waste of money because of so many rocks.

Very nice video. I don't know how many holes i've filled that other people left. How many RR spikes i've picked up off the ground that people tossed aside. My buddy told me yesterday about one of the "old timers" in the local club who NEVER wears any sort of pouch, he either re-buries or tosses any and all trash and puts keepers in his pockets... He is a well known relic hunter in the Kennesaw/Marietta area... but he just does not care about others or about the hobby, he obviously only cares about himself.

J
June 20, 2010 08:23PM
thanks tom your shovel kinda looks like willy nelsons guitar man you can pick that thing!(look at her shine) lol P.S. were any ants harmed in the making of this video?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2010 08:30PM by rapidroy7.
June 21, 2010 03:08PM
When the shovels start coming out at the parks, so do the park supers telling you to beat it and don't come back. Then come the police. Not long after that comes the NO Metal Detecting signs.

Even if it works better, perception is everything. And the perception is a guy with a shovel is digging up my park.

HH
Mike
June 21, 2010 03:22PM
In Calif the only way we can dig the way you do Tom is if we are not on a public area..Now most of the places I hunt are not public but it really takes me more time to do it your way. I use a pinpointer and the targets are not that deep. The other thing is like to a few minutes and enjoy the history I have just found. Like a kid I dig it out a little at a time and then see what I have and study it...think about the histroy. Your way is a great tip but my way is faster for me and I never get anyone wondering if I am going to dig a hole they really don't know what I am doing. Now the guy with the screw driver is just insane what a waste of time and effort.My pin pointer is PI and it is fast and can hit a target at about 3-4 inches. We all work at our own pace. You are a great teacher for all of us.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

June 22, 2010 03:03AM
i agree 150%....in addendum:..when ever I see a detectorist with a "shovel"
in a public park,or school ground,i become angry ,AND frustrated as well,because i KNOW
what's going to follow!..closure of the site,and and the resulting "paranoia" directed towards metal detecting
enthusiasts!..a "shovel?' as was stated,the "perception" is overwhelmingly "negative!"
"baaaad move!"

(h.h!)
j.t.
June 22, 2010 09:49PM
Prudence is the word...........if you plan to use this shovel. In no way...am I ordering everyone to use this shovel. There are plenty of times where this shovel can not be used. Once again; prudence.
When there are times that you CAN use this shovel, , , as I did in this video...........a quick lesson on its proper use... is due.
June 23, 2010 02:44AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Prudence is the word...........if you plan to use
> this shovel. In no way...am I ordering everyone to
> use this shovel. There are plenty of times where
> this shovel can not be used. Once again;
> prudence.
> When there are times that you CAN use this shovel,
> , , as I did in this video...........a quick
> lesson on its proper use... is due.

When I am in some parks I only use my Lesche hand digger, very carefully. I dig a deep three sided hole and use my cloth for any excess dirt. In other parks I will carry my "Relic Shark" shovel with the ball end handle. If anyone is around that seems to be even slightly interested in what I am doing I carry it down by my leg so it isn't very noticable. When I use it I dig three sides as deep as possible about and a hole about 8" across. I will take out one shovel of dirt and lay the shovel down. If I can't pinpoint that target in the hole I will dump the dirt on the shovel back in the hole, lay the shovel on the ground, and recheck the hole. If I still don't get a signal I will lay out my cloth and begin to pile dirt on the cloth using my Lesche hand digger. If at a reasonable depth I a mstill not getting a hit I will just refill the hole. I am not diggiga big hole in a park. I've seen the results of other people's recovery efforts and don't want to ever be blamed for some of their work. Now and then a plug will have rocks or will be too hard and breakup and I can't get it to look like I haven't been there but that is usually when I let some iron or some phantom target lead me on. Most of the time though if you are careful and aware of where you are are and aware of who else is around you will have no trouble... especially if you act as if you know what you are doing and act as if you are supossed to be there. Be confident but also be wary... there is always some busybody nanny type around the corner.
I too cringe when I see someone in a park with a garden shovel... those just aren't for parks unless the people who are in control know you and trust you. An orange vest and a white hardhat could keep you out of trouble. Most people busybodies will think that you are doing some work there. You can always stencil "Dept of Soil" on the vest. "Sidewalk Management" for those sidewalk strips...

The main thing is.. (IMO) don't make a mess, don't stick out like a sore thumb, stay away from the moms and the kids... and act like you belong there. It think it probably helps to hunt alone in parks, at least the safer ones.

Julien

J
June 23, 2010 03:57AM
Yes you do have a point and your video is very good I like what you have to teach and how you teach..

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

June 23, 2010 05:41AM
thanks for the clarification tom!
it makes a world of difference!....WHERE you use it!

(h.h!)
j.t.
June 23, 2010 05:49AM
unfortunately, a"relic shark" shovel is NOT the correct tool for a park either,
as i am confidant you are aware!..i use a lesche,and like you, dig a three sided plug,however
i will never use a "relic" tool or shovel in a park!..you do NOT want people noticing you ,or
paying attention to WHAT you are doing,and trust me!..you WILL CALL ATTENTION TO YOURSELF
IF YOU USE SUCH A TOOL IN A PARK!..COUNT ON IT!

(h.h!)
j.t.
June 23, 2010 10:21AM
In our county parks a permit is required. Many a time I am stoped by the Rangers, they ask if I have a permit and of course I show them. By now they know me by sight & only ask if I'm having any luck. I carry a shovel with a blade the size of Toms but with a modified longer handle so I don't have to bend down. If people come up to me with the attitude that I'm destroying their park just because I carry a shovel ..... jumping to conclusions, I ask them to look around, do you see where I've dug dozens of holes? They say wow! you finding any thing good? 98% of the people around here mind their own business, as they should. Most people are friendly and are interested in what am I looking for. I usually tell the I'm looking for history, mostly old coinage. Many times I get the same people stopping to chit chat and thats fine by me, I enjoy that as long as they don't take up too much of my hunting time. A few times I am invited to hunt their own properties. In the years I have been hunting, Iv'e never had a bad experience with people where I couldn't handle the problem and turn it into a good and pleasant ending.
June 24, 2010 01:37AM
All very good points. Julien & Ozzie.......this is exactly my actions......BUT... on a subconscious level; ....... I don't know I'm even doing this.
June 24, 2010 07:04AM
ozzie!..i have experienced the same thing over the years,however,believe it or not,found out later that
they "ratted" on me for digging in the park!..can you believe this s*4t?...same as you,lot of ..blah!...blah!
i still talk to others when confronted,however i have to admit to a little paranoia,and now i wonder if i will be "ratted" on again!
there really is nothing you can do,except try to be "nice" and hope for the best,and never will i carry a "shovel"
with me to a park!...why tempt fate?

(h.h!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2010 07:11AM by jmaryt.