Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Took my Racer (11 inch coil) out for a couple of hours today (3/31/15)

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Took my Racer (11 inch coil) out for a couple of hours today (3/31/15)
April 01, 2015 03:45AM
After dragging some brush and dealing with some fire ant hills today, I saw that I had a couple of hours to go digging. My first find is an unidentified piece (on the left side, in the pic). My second find was a cuff button. I had an empty skoal can that I filled up with dirt and placed the cuff button inside so that it would make the trip home.
I also discovered the cause of my "falsing on twigs and brush". My method of hunting is to leave the car with my equipment and as soon as I'm 30 yards into the woods I will Ground Balance. It has been ground balancing at around 53. But I decided to try something different today. I would ground balance after every 15 minutes (or even 10 minutes). I would re-ground balance and the ground balance would go be 68. The dirt in the spots that I hunt vary in mineralization. I had zero problems with falsing while bumping twigs today. I would even bump an oak tree lightly to TRY and get it to false and it would not do it. I am still a rookie and am prone to making rookie mistakes. Such as not ground balancing frequently in variable mineralized dirt........and by posting a potential "problem" on the forums to quickly before I learn to operate a unit. At any rate, I am still pleased with my Racer. It does what I ask it to....so to speak. And what makes this unit really shine is the 5 inch coil. That is what separates (pun intended) it from many other detectors. Anyway, I feel obliged to make this post since I made a post yesterday or the day before about the unit's coil to false when bumped against debris/ twigs/so forth. It was a happy revelation when I realized that Ground Balancing a high gain unit in highly mineralized ground......frequently........solved my 'falsing on twigs' problem. My only wish......I wish this button had been a Confederate Drooped Wing cuff button but I am grateful for ANY button. Hope you all have a great week and happy detecting!!!!!! kevin

Re: Took my Racer (11 inch coil) out for a couple of hours today (3/31/15)
April 01, 2015 10:14AM
It's actually kind of refreshing to see somebody else who only gets a chance to hunt for a couple of hours at a time! Most of my best finds were on little two hour hunts, and they might be the only keeper. You see these "today's finds" posts where people show 100 targets, good, bad, and gnarly. Most of my days look a lot more like yours...a couple of finds, perched on a paper towel on the counter. My wife's generally unimpressed!

Glad to hear your detector's behaving, and congrats on the cuff button!
April 01, 2015 03:09PM
Thanks Seladore, for your reply. Yes, even this morning, I am always looking for a spare two or three hours to run out and hit a spot. If I'm not careful, (and I KNOW me), I will let this detecting bug reach ahead of other, more important priorities. Have a great day Seladore. I hope that you hit a spot that will completely cover a couple of paper towels.
April 01, 2015 03:38PM
Sounds like the auto ground tracking might work well for you.
April 01, 2015 05:18PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like the auto ground tracking might work
> well for you.

I was thinking about that Cal Cobra. I might try it today. Thanks. Happy Diggin. Kevin
April 01, 2015 06:03PM
nice button..

that other piece looks like a Bullet jacket ..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 02, 2015 05:13AM
Thanks guys and thanks Keith for the ID. I think that is what it is. The lead core went flying on out of it.
April 02, 2015 03:52PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> that other piece looks like a Bullet jacket ..
>
> Keith

What it also looks like, is the primer that is left when the shotgun "brass" erodes away. I say this because of the slight taper at the bottom of the object.
I bet I've found a dozen of those things where I'm finding the CW stuff. They signal nicely but are a bear to find in the dirt. And usually pretty deep.
Of course, they have a dimple in the rimmed end from the firing pin impact, with a small circle around it.

Nice button! All buttons are nice, but some are nicer. Interesting how the front is so toasted and the back/backmark is in such good shape.
Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2015 03:58PM by ncwayne.
April 02, 2015 07:18PM
Yes, I know NCWayne. The eagle general service imprint is on the front but if I don't catch it correctly in the light.,....the camera won't pic it up. I appreciate your reply. Now get out there and show me some finds!!!!!! I hope that this week will be your week to find a gold piece!!!!! I mean that sincerely.