Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I watched the relic video this AM. AM watching the beach hunting video now.... i've a question

Posted by jbow 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I am learning so much about beach hunting from this video, I am going to watch it again later.

So... I get down to FL maybe every other year. I'm going to get to go later this summer, after July 4th, for a little over two weeks. The beach we go isn't the biggest and certainly not the most popular but we like it a lot. We go to Mexico Beach. The beach isn't very deep (wide). The last time I was there was 2008 when hurricane/TS Fay passed by. Everyone left, we stayed... it was AWESOME! We had the beach to ourselves the whole week. It was me and my wife, a few locals, and one girl who came over from Panama City to hunt the beach. Both she and I hunted the dry sand.

The hardpan is 10-15 ft. wide at best. The dry sand was 30-50 ft wide when were were there in 2008. There is a drop-off of about 10" just past the surf line. It is nothing like the big beaches at Daytona or other parts of FL.

Do you (Tom) or anyone know anything about this area of FL?

I have never even used a waterproof detector but I am beginning to think maybe I need to buy one before I go since this is such a small beach, however I will be using your tips to find high density sand and maybe some gold.

I have always used a SovereignGT chestmounted with a binocular harness on the beach... but after watching your video I am thinking that the Gold Bug II might be perfect to this beach... there is a chance that no one has used one there. Does the GB II have any inland use in mineralized ground? Can it be of any use in medium high minerals and square nails? Is it useless in inland trash?

This year I will take the GT, V3 (which I am struggling to like), and the F75 LTD... and maybe the Omega since I just got it. My grand-daughter might like to use it! I'm going to take a serious look at the GB II ...

Thanks for the vid and for any other advise for this locality

HH,

Julien.
Julien,

Forget the GB-2 for inland hunting..........unless you ONLY hit the swingset/monkeybar sandpits at the local parks. It does work well in bad dirt; however, a nightmare because of too much inland trash. Let's wait-n-see how well the Tek G2 performs for inland hunting. And.............as far as using a GB-2 for regular dry-sand hunting at any beach.....can also be a nightmare.......unless you are only hitting volleyball courts. My video production crew and myself are coming out with a beach hunting DVD......and GB-2 drysand hunting at a volleyball court will be a major topic/portion/demonstration........due to popular request(s).

As far as wet salt hunting..........use your Minelab Sov GT in areas of HIGH swimming, HIGH volume people......and time it at low tide. Remember; the gold will be TOO deep..........if you are leaving footprints in the wet sand.
Thanks Tom... I picked up on the "sot"hardpan thing. I will be using that... it is great info! Thanks for sharing it.

I'll wait on the G2, FT should have all the bugs worked out of the new platform by then. \

Julien