Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I have 4 hours on my Racer smiling smiley

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I have 4 hours on my Racer smiling smiley
April 03, 2015 01:39AM
I bought the racer for its bad soil handling and seperation abilities. So far I am pleased.
I have yellow/ orange clay mixed with lots of rocks. Its a depth killer for the most part. I get 20-30% less depth than does Keith, using the same targets and detectors. My soil is not as bad as Daniels, Tn.
In my test garden, now 3 years old, I have clad dimes buried from 4 to 10" deep.
In 3 tone mode, gain at 95 , i can hit the 8" dime most of the time. Switching over to 2 tone, I can get the 9" dime most of the time. ( The only Vlf to hit my 10" er is my AKA Signum. The F70 I had last year could hit the 7" dime half the time. )
So I am happy with the depth the Racer is getting. ( The OOP 5" coil hits my 5" dime in 3 tone. ) What I really like is the way this detector handles my bad soil. Very few false signals . I think that may be the key why the racer gets such great depth?
I detected in 2 parks, 3 hrs with the 7 x 11 coil, and 1 hr with the 5". I spent my time in the trashy areas, as I wondered about seperation and VDI numbers. That 7 x 11 coil is an awesome seperator. In one hole I pulled out a dime, a foil ball and pulltab. i was getting an assortment of numbers, but 85 kept coming up , along with the high tone, so I dug. The deepest coin so far is a 5" dime, but this detector has the horsepower. The depth of finds will increase with use.
Here are the VDI numbers................54-56 bounce , nickles........56, some old style pulltabs,
54...........2" foil wad, 53-58 bouncy, square tabs,...........82, zinc cents, 82-83, brass house key, brass hook, al. screw caps. 83-84, al can 6" deep on end, 84-85, clad dimes and copper cents, 87-88, quarters, 88-92 bounce, a 2" round white metal cap.
The only Iron I dug so far, is 2 -1" steel fence staples with some can slaw in the same hole.
It read high for some reason.
I used the 5" coil , and basically the same results.
I like the audio on this machine, its rather telling. It reminds me of the DTVG I had.
This machine is probably the best detector I have owned in the last 10 years, in its price range. Its a keeper !
Re: I have 4 hours on my Racer smiling smiley
April 03, 2015 02:01AM
Great info. My deus units struggle with fence staples as well. I think it's the shape and maybe the sharp points orientation that fool them.
April 03, 2015 02:29AM
Good report Daryl..

And remember if a machine does not dig fence staples its not that good at pulling non ferrous out fo ferrous...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 03, 2015 03:35AM
My depth readout in pinpoint mode is way off, if its supposed to be in inches anyway. It must be reading in centimeters? Anyone elso notice this?
April 03, 2015 03:51AM
I didn't realize there was bad dirt in Missouri. Mine is very mild in Franklin County and surrounding areas.
April 03, 2015 04:06AM
possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My depth readout in pinpoint mode is way off, if
> its supposed to be in inches anyway. It must be
> reading in centimeters? Anyone elso notice this?

Check your detector, with it off hold left arrow key and right arrow key down simultaneously, then turn your unit on. You should see US in the window, if you do let go of the buttons, If you see IS in the window keep arrow keys depressed and turn unit off then right back on. You should then see US in the window, let go of the arrow keys. Machine is set to inches. It won't change unless you repeat the steps above in the future.
April 03, 2015 05:26AM
possum mo Wrote:

Pinpoint procedure is not intended for depth determination but location determination. Distance detection is based off of the target being 1". Distance can very based on size of the target.
Pg 20 for more info.
April 03, 2015 09:54AM
Edct Wrote:
> possum mo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My depth readout in pinpoint mode is way off,
> if
> > its supposed to be in inches anyway. It must
> be
> > reading in centimeters? Anyone elso notice
> this?
>
> Pinpoint procedure is not intended for depth
> determination but location determination. Distance
> detection is based off of the target being 1".
> Distance can very based on size of the target.
> Pg 20 for more info.

Be aware that a US quarter is one inch in diameter, so that's the size of
coin that the depth estimate is approximating. Smaller coins will be closer
than the estimate, larger coins (and other larger objects) will be farther.
April 03, 2015 08:03PM
possum mo Wrote:

Hold the + and - button in at the same time and turn the detector on and it will pop up US on the screen, it's in inches then.
Re: I have 6 hours on my Racer smiling smiley
April 04, 2015 05:50PM
I did the procedure, and it is now reading depth in inches. Thanks. And its depth reading is VERY accurate!
I did run into some iron sheet metal pcs that were reading 87-96. I also dug an awesome sounding "83". It locked on and did not budge. Sounded too good to pass by.
I dug up a cheapie copper ring.I think thats the first good 83 i have dug so far. Its getting to the point where Im getting real accurate calling zincs on the 82 readings. Every now and then get fooled by an alum, screw cap.
Its a fun machine.
Re: I have 6 hours on my Racer smiling smiley
April 04, 2015 06:23PM
Quote: "Every now and then get fooled by an alum. screw cap"

Hey possum,

... I'll dig those all day long with my machines, the deep ones sound and read on the meter as an Indian head penny, get fooled by the deep rusty crimp- on style too, I guess I'm just a newbie..lol
April 04, 2015 08:13PM
Good descriptions Daryl, I keep in mind that my 82 and 83's I have dug 3 buttons that sounded too good to pass, nice and solid. So I dig anything that locks that TID and sounds great. This machine loves good metal...................
Re: I have 8 hours on my Racer smiling smiley
April 10, 2015 01:06AM
I went to a fresh water beach today. Nothing but rocks and red clay and a few gains of sand between the rocks. I used Di3 mode, was able to put the gain up to 99, how ever bumping the larger rocks gave a bit of a false signal, so I backed down to 90-95. Detector was not affected by the ground at all. In the past, my T2 and F70 chattered like crazy on this beach. I would have to drop the gain quite a bit. My Minelab explorer pro ran well , except I dug a fair amount of hot rocks with it. The Tesoro Cibola also was noisy here.
I dug a handful of coins today. I was fooled a few times on new , plated steel bottlecaps, but the rusted older caps were no problem.
I put the 5" coil on, and hunted a small picnic area, that I hit with the F70 w/ 5 coil last year. I thought I cleaned it out pretty well last year, but I picked up 5 coins today in 30 minutes in the same area. I could spend another 2 hours in that spot, but ran out of time.
It was wall to wall trash. Steel, aluminum, etc. Machine gun audio, as the targets were so thick. Yet that small coil really nails the coins. I did pick up some melted aluminum gobs, like I did last year, but not as many. A fun day, with 75 degree weather.
April 10, 2015 01:17AM
The Explorer won't hit your 10'' dime with stock coil? You must have hot ground as my Etrac with a Sunray X-8 coil will hit my 11'' silver dime in my garden,But my soil is fairly mild as Sens. will run up to 26 in auto +3. My CZ-3D will hit it all day long!
April 10, 2015 02:17AM
Harold, I never found a dime 8" in my nasty soil with the se. I planted the coin garden when I had the SE. We all know freshly buried coins and Minelabs don't go together.
April 10, 2015 02:32PM
Detectorist Wrote:
> I didn't realize there was bad dirt in Missouri.
> Mine is very mild in Franklin County and
> surrounding areas.

Ozarks/SW MO have the red dirt. My racer balances with 2 pie slices and 50's at my house. I speculate 20 miles north in the flat farmlands there will be zero slices of pie. My omega in the past would balance 54-64 with zero to 2 bars depending on area.
Re: I have 8 hours on my Racer smiling smiley
April 10, 2015 06:34PM
less pie slices is good....unless its Sunday dinner..!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla