Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What map sites do some of you use?

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What map sites do some of you use?
April 04, 2015 02:37PM
I want to look at old maps of areas and try to see where they might be on todays maps. Does google earth have any applicability while doing this also? Thanks........

Detectors used
Nokta FoRs CoRe, Makro R1, Makro R2X2, ETrac, 3030, Compadre, several others.
Obama put this country in the toilet, vote for Hilderbeast and she'll pull the handle
Re: What map sites do some of you use?
April 04, 2015 03:03PM
Download Maprika app for your phone..

lots of old maps have been overlaid on the website already or you can build your own...

word to the wise though ..if you build you own overlays for specific site turn sharing off...if you dont you will find others being ableto use your maps for hunting old sites your interested in...

But alot of historians have already done overlays in your area and there not detectorist so they have them set to share...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 04, 2015 03:08PM
Historic Map Works. You can do an overlay....new Google map over old map....fade in and out, coordinates etc. Do a search, example; your county. All the townships will come up on the oldest maps they have. Around here I can only go back to 1876 ish. Click on a map you're interested in. Click on the green and white rectangle that says free...a modern map will overlay over the old and you use the fade slide. Mess around with it. The little gray/black rectangles are houses and barns, Initials like SH (schoolhouse) GM, (griss mill) etc.
Some maps will not have an overlay option.
April 04, 2015 03:16PM
Jack I like to use this for side by side comp. of old vs new when researching spots. In the vid I said historical aerials....should have been historic. Hope it helps bud

[historicaerials.com]

[youtu.be]
April 05, 2015 02:05PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Download Maprika app for your phone..
>
> lots of old maps have been overlaid on the website
> already or you can build your own...
>
> word to the wise though ..if you build you own
> overlays for specific site turn sharing off...if
> you dont you will find others being ableto use
> your maps for hunting old sites your interested
> in...
>
> But alot of historians have already done overlays
> in your area and there not detectorist so they
> have them set to share...
>
>
> Keith

Hey Keith...is there a specific name for the app? When I type maprika into the android store, theres a GPS Ski map and news map app that are made by Maprika, but they dont seem to be what you are talking about
April 05, 2015 02:33PM
That's the one I pulled up also on both home and android. The one I really liked they wanted 125.00 a year. I'd just about rather just dig zincons. But still contemplating it.
April 05, 2015 03:29PM
Jack, there are a multitude of map sources available. The ones mentioned above will get you headed in the right direction. A couple things I would like to add is that you do not have to pay money for any if this info.as it is all public information. What you would be paying for via map works, etc. is that they have done some the research for you, by collecting and arranging (some) of the maps in one spot to be downloaded. The library of congress, local colleges, townships, and (gasp!) local libraries will have all that info. (and much, much more) for you to peruse. More importantly is to get out and get to know the locals...farmers, historic societies, etc...They are a wealth of info. and once you have gained their trust, doors will open to old sites. Best of luck!
April 06, 2015 12:17AM
[www.isgs.uiuc.edu] Should be photo's for every state if they survived? Here is Illinois! [isgs.illinois.edu] & HH
April 06, 2015 02:31AM
Thats it maprika GPS ski map..

its free...

what you do is load any map into the program then set you as many KNOWN ANCHOR PINS as you can find...the more exact pins you do on a map the more accurate it will be....its a overlay type to start with so you can add anchor pins to the old map by using a modern gps map....this map Im showing you here is a county wide 1896 map with house names on it...the blue cursor is where im at...as I move around I see my location on the old map...Im pretty exact ..I can go to any of these house sites and be within 100 ft most of the time......I have about 25 maps in my phone done from 1830 to 1930 and I can jump between them...I have ton's of sites to hunt ....its amazing going straight to a site way back in the wodds and the chimney or foundation is there when you get there...

I also show you the menu screen DO NOT CLICK SHARE>> it will upload it to Maprika and everyone will see it...Not good .. and since its already coordinated through your pins all the other person has to do is go to the sites....

I have maps that I had to buy out of estate sales and have them scanned in ...I would hate for someone to get hold of them so I dont let them out to the public..that map you see right there is extremely hard to get hold of...Im not giving it away to no one wiht the time and effort I have in it plus the years of looking for it.....

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 02:34AM by Keith Southern.
April 06, 2015 02:40AM
OK I see the light now! Dayum that could be a handy lillte rascal there. I'll get it tomorrow..............THX