Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Are the new CZ-3D's better made/calibrated?

Posted by wayfarer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Are the new CZ-3D's better made/calibrated?
April 10, 2015 06:43PM
Everybody seems to take it as conventional wisdom that the best CZ-5D's were the ones made by Fisher back in their Los Banos days, 1021 serial numbers, and to avoid the later ones.

But Dave J recently joined in a lively discussion over at treasurenet where he basically admitted Fisher was making crap for awhile but now they have their act back together and the new CZ3D's coming out now are good and properly calibrated from the factory:

[www.treasurenet.com]

Dave also gave some high praise to Tom for pretty much saving the CZ3D with his calibration service but that now the new ones are good enough they don't need to be calibrated by Tom (I'm paraphrasing).

I'm thinking about buying a CZ3D and I'd really prefer to go ahead and spend the money to get a new one. So I'm wondering of the new ones really don't need the extra calibration service or whether there's still some benefit. If I still need to get it calibrated, then we're talking over $1,000 and at that point I will just look for an older one that already been "Tom-tuned" and save $500.
Re: Are the new CZ-3D's better made/calibrated?
April 11, 2015 01:23AM
Well having and using both saw no difference....maybe I was lucky, however one bought new does have a warranty and perhaps a local dealer would let you test one at least worth a try....Dan
April 11, 2015 02:41AM
I had a newer one (CZ3D) that was calibrated by Tom, and it was done perfectly, basically a nickel magnet, but it wasn't very deep ( 9", if I remember correctly). I think that is where the crap shoot is. The way it was explained to me is that the electronic components need to 'match' properly to provide decent depth. There are newer CZ's that are deep, but the 1021 series were consistently deeper due to better quality parts and compatibility. If I knew it was a deeper unit, I wouldn't hesitate to send a brand new one in to Tom for a 'finishing touch' as you know darn well an assy. line isn't going to provide the attention to detail and fine tuning that Tom does. That's not a slam against FT, but rather modern Mfg. practices.
April 11, 2015 04:29AM
wow! That was a great read! By the way I have a FT Tom tuned CZ-3D calibrated to 12.1'' so there are some hot ones as it was fairly hot to began with. I would hope the newer ones are better they should be by now. But it is your money your call. P.S. Would still like to have my original 1021 back that I bought new when they first came out as still a hair hotter then the one I have now.
April 11, 2015 04:58AM
Real interesting. Thanks for the replies. I would hope that they'd be better now too, but didn't know about the cheaper components issue. No matter how carefully calibrated, if the components were cheaper or didn't "match" then there's only so much Tom can do.

I'm trying my damnest to get the last few deep coins out of my local 100+ year old park that has been positively pounded. The only good stuff I occasionally get are the very deep coins that I can juuust barely get with my MXT or CTX, so I know there have to be more just out of reach. There's not much trash left in the ground, so I was thinking maybe a good CZ-3D might give me an extra inch (or heck, even an extra half inch) which would open up a whole new layer of deep good stuff.
April 11, 2015 12:51PM
I agree with triplehooked. Tom is going to get the most out of your CZ as he takes the time to calibrate it and get everything possible out of your machine. Worth the cost just to know everything ID's correctly. The extra depth is a bonus and high on my priority list as well. You will not regret spending the money and if you decide to sell the machine later, it will sell fast and at a higher price...Stuart
April 11, 2015 04:31PM
wayfarer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Real interesting. Thanks for the replies. I
> would hope that they'd be better now too, but
> didn't know about the cheaper components issue.
> No matter how carefully calibrated, if the
> components were cheaper or didn't "match" then
> there's only so much Tom can do.
>
> I'm trying my damnest to get the last few deep
> coins out of my local 100+ year old park that has
> been positively pounded. The only good stuff I
> occasionally get are the very deep coins that I
> can juuust barely get with my MXT or CTX, so I
> know there have to be more just out of reach.
> There's not much trash left in the ground, so I
> was thinking maybe a good CZ-3D might give me an
> extra inch (or heck, even an extra half inch)
> which would open up a whole new layer of deep good
> stuff.

If you get a hot one also get the 10.5'' coil if trash is lite and coins are deep it will find them. Or if you can find one and don't mind the cost a Sunray FZ-12 is a depth monster for sure. I had 2 and sold them like a fool.
April 11, 2015 05:04PM
My brother has a CZ3 that is several years old. I recently met with him & we detected together . I tried his out , tested it, & felt that it was comparable with my Tom tuned old CZ3 & my CZ5 .
April 11, 2015 05:50PM
The linked to thread is a beaut! Do yourselves a favor, open n a container of your favorite beveridge and go read it from the start! Metal detector history/techbologu, raw emotion, human psychology and probably the longest exchange Dave Johnson ever had on a forum.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
April 11, 2015 06:37PM
Does anyone know what that extra knob is on the F5 ? LOL
April 11, 2015 07:04PM
I bet DJMike knows now after reading post #70. Lol. It's a classic

Walt,

From the GA-FL line

Silver microMax, CTX 3030, Excal 2, ATPro
June 12, 2015 11:05AM
Tom, do you have any experience calibrating newer CZ3D units?
wjs
June 12, 2015 12:10PM
I have had two of the newer units and probably 3-4 of the older 1021 or 1121 serial numbered CZ3D's. The older ones were deeper by an inch or so. I have a newer one that has been calibrated by Tom and seems to work good but is only calibrated to 11".

I would not buy a new one. I would look for a good used one that has been calibrated by Tom already. You can probably find a good deal on one for under $500. You would not have the warranty but most likely you wouldn't need it anyway.
June 12, 2015 02:19PM
Thx, wjs but I already own a 12" Tom certified 1021 3D. Most of us know that depth on these machines is both component related and tuning related. If new units still can't get 12" after being properly tuned, either at the factory or by Tom, then components must be the problem.

Are those premium components unavailable today?
June 12, 2015 02:51PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> The linked to thread is a beaut! Do yourselves a
> favor, open n a container of your favorite
> beveridge and go read it from the start! Metal
> detector history/techbologu, raw emotion, human
> psychology and probably the longest exchange Dave
> Johnson ever had on a forum.

Dave Johnson (woof!) can be pretty entertaining and still provide a lot of insight. Always maintains his integrity. I followed the Long Range Locators forum on TN for a time a few years ago just for the entertainment value that Dave and a few others provided. Some of the messages on that forum are serious business to certain people but for others pretty comical. If you have never read it give it a go some boring evening.

It sounds like the current FTP production just doesn't have the issues of the old Fisher and DJ has made that pretty clear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2015 02:52PM by TabWhisperer.
June 12, 2015 04:12PM
Still like my CZ70 (never have tried the CZ3D).

I thought the Dave J. thread was interesting, he rarely gets engaged on the forums.

I thought this was interesting, because doesn't the new Minelab GoFind use a monoloop on a VLF? He stated "I can tell you there won't be a 13 inch mono for the GB Pro, because VLF's aren't compatible with mono searchcoils. "

BTW Steve, what prototype is this that Dave is referring to???? Anything like the CZX or Mocca that we saw a supposed leaked powerpoint slide from?????

"Yeah, Steve, I've darn near bit my tongue off myself....... over that prototype you were expecting nearly a year ago and ain't seen yet. It didn't hit any brick walls, just got bogged down. We finally got past the swamp and we're fighting the alligators on land now. "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2015 06:09PM by Cal_cobra.
June 13, 2015 04:35PM
TabWhisperer Wrote:
> lytle78 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The linked to thread is a beaut! Do yourselves
> a
> > favor, open n a container of your favorite
> > beveridge and go read it from the start! Metal
> > detector history/techbologu, raw emotion, human
> > psychology and probably the longest exchange
> Dave
> > Johnson ever had on a forum.
>
> Dave Johnson (woof!) can be pretty entertaining
> and still provide a lot of insight. Always
> maintains his integrity. I followed the Long
> Range Locators forum on TN for a time a few years
> ago just for the entertainment value that Dave and
> a few others provided. Some of the messages on
> that forum are serious business to certain people
> but for others pretty comical. If you have never
> read it give it a go some boring evening.
>
> It sounds like the current FTP production just
> doesn't have the issues of the old Fisher and DJ
> has made that pretty clear.

Don't let anyone fool you Dave J is still the man! I think he created ''adjustable'' Modulated audio with the boost mode on the CZ's not to mention a Dual Frequency detector that others company's made claim too. He also created the Whites MXT which some consider there best all around detector to date.