Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Be carefull out there Snakes are out here in the South ..( Video)

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Be carefull out there Snakes are out here in the South ..( Video)
April 13, 2015 12:58AM
And notice how aggresive they are...Ive seen them bigger than this down here...

Side note also this guy may claim to be an expert but hes very sloppy and scare's me in his approach.. Hes to SURE of himself..DANGEROUS...

Not sure where He's at but the terrain looks alot like the places I hunt..

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 12:59AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Be carefull out there Snakes are out here in the South ..( Video)
April 13, 2015 01:02AM
Yeah = no thanks!
April 13, 2015 01:03AM
Well, when one of those Rattlers bites him on the back of the head or neck, game, set, match. Don''t look like no pro to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 01:18AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 13, 2015 01:14AM
Hey Wayne remember that house site you dug that 3 ringer out of and I got that early axe out of....

the guy who deer hunts that said there's some big ones in that house ..I hunted it once it the summer last year and was constantly double checking where I stepped..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 13, 2015 01:28AM
That sucker was WAY TOO BIG for me to wanna run into.

But you've seen BIGGER ones??

Yep = I'd have to move!

We don't have any of that to deal with up here in the extreme north

we have Michigan rattlers but even full grown they're only on avg. 18" long or so (still bite and still poisonous) and can cause serious damage but nothing like those!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 01:34AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
April 13, 2015 01:34AM
Just like this one that was by my truck door when I had been checking out a house site in the county here. I walked across the ditch and he was coiling up at my approach. Scared the heck outa me. Timber rattler. I'll try and find a pic of a 6 ft diamondback I walked up on turkey hunting in south ga. a few years back. Got within about 5 ft from him. He was fatter than my bicep. Huge eastern diamondback.
April 13, 2015 01:49AM
Hey thats a nice one Jack!!!

yes the timber Rattlers seemt o max out at 6.5 or so feet...

but yes the Diamondbacks will get outrageously huge....I wlaked up on one below Milledgeville a few years ago that hand on heart promise it was 8 ft long....and the center of him was bigger than my calf..

thing was a Monster....

Hey Wayne remember that spet we were in were the helicopter took off on the power line next to us Theres some good size ones on that property...My buddy has killed 12 all over 5 ft off that creek righ there...largest was 6'.8"

you got lucky being down here in the winter as far as keeping your eyes peeled...

Heck South of here even in the winter you keep your eyes peeled on a warmer day..I about stepped on a Rattler once in Feb. on the coast hunting in a 1770's till Sherman burnt it down house site...By the way what a house site that was !!!!!I sifted the fireplace spot out and got over 6 buttons out of it...Colonial,, Rev War to Civil war...ended up with two Cavalry buttons..only ones ever heard of coming off that island...Also got a flem bleeder...( for bleeding a person to get rid of sickness)...big penny's reales...etc..

wait a minute im getting off track back to snakes...LOL!!

Keith

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
April 13, 2015 02:03AM
Since we're on the subject of rattlesnakes. I've spent many hours in the woods in my lifetime and have had several close encounters with Rattlers. Some advice for those of you out metal detecting. First a rattle snake doesn't rattle, it buzzes-very distinct sound. Once you hear it you'll never forget it. Next when you are out walking and you think you here a rattlesnake, STOP. No matter where you think the snake is based on the sound, if you don't IN FACT see snake, Retreat- step back slowly just like you approached the area before you heard the snake. DON'T think for one second you can just walk over to the side of where you think the rattlesnake is based on the sound-rattle (buzzing). This is a good way to get bit. Mother nature gave the Rattler something very special. The buzzing sound is a sound that is thrown-meaning to your ears and to RODENTS ears you (they) can't tell exactly where the snake is. This is actually how the Rattler gets the jump on rodents. This thrown sound plus their ability to strike gives them the edge. Just food for thought.
April 13, 2015 02:05AM
Well I couldn't find the pic of the big diamondback so I asked babygirl. She said Dad I've got a printed picture. She's 18 now and has literally 5000 plus pics or more from our lives and deer and turkeys and snakes and more animals than I can remember. Here ya go. 19 rattles and scared the beeheebaas out of me walking up on it.
April 13, 2015 02:05AM
Man

how can you'all deal with those things?

I wouldn't let my kids out to play around there! lol

Not that I have any kids anymore (one and only son moved to Cali) and don't have any step kids anymore either but still!
April 13, 2015 02:09AM
Thats funny,stood about a foot from a big rattler today for about a minute,before he let me know he was there. That will rattle your nerves,lol.
April 13, 2015 02:25AM
On the topic of snakes. 15 yrs thereabouts ago I sat up in a huge pine plantation just at the crack of dawn on a gobbling turkey near Swainsboro Ga./Gods country. These pines were very typical of the huge pine plantations here in the south. You could see several hundred yards down the rows any way you looked. The turkey was gobbling great and I actually saw him pitch out of the tree and start gobbling as soon as he hit the ground. I mean tearing it up. I let him know where I was with a couple of soft clucks and he was gobbling every breath and coming. No more calling and he was on the way. He was gonna cross to my right somewhere so I slid around the tree into shooting position. It was just getting decent light and I'm gonna shoot up the pine row. When I got situated and looking down the barrel he was rattling the woods and I could see movement at 50 or 60 yards crossing the pine rows. He knew which pine row I was sitting on and when he came into it turned and started walking straight up the row towards me. I'm focused on looking down the barrel at one of the most beautiful sights in the woods and something just out of the ordinary catches my eye. The very next tree over was a huge diamondback curled up just laying there right up on the edge of the tree. Facing the direction I did when I sat up. If the turkey hadn't have gobbled at the exact moment when I was by the tree I sat down beside, guess which tree I was fixing to set up on to call the turkey? When I realized it I about had a heart attack and was literally shaken at about what just about happened to me. The gobbler saw me when I realized what almost happened and sighed and turned and ran. I realized I was a second away from making him my cushion in the barely lit pine plantation at first light.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 02:26AM by Jack Flynn.
April 13, 2015 02:44AM
I like snakes, so it follows that I like snake stories and pics!
My story: Many years ago, scouting for deer hunting in pre-season. Saw a few yellow jackets bee-line by me. Stopped see where their nest was as I didn't want to step in it. Spied what looked like a cow pie in the leaves, i.e., gray circular object in brown leaves. It was a 4 ft timber rattler. Stepped back and cut down a sappling and hit it over the head and killed it (which I would not do today).
I am convinced that rattler was feeding on yellow jackets. Else, why would he have been there? No, I didn't check its stomach.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
April 13, 2015 02:46AM
I'd need snake guards up to my eyeballs with snakes that big.....up to the knee just wouldn't cut it.
April 13, 2015 02:49AM
I did allot of ginseng hunting in the mountains of south eastern Ky with my dad and papaw growing up. I honestly never had much issue with the rattlers as they always warned me of their presence, (although a few still ended up as hat bands and belts). But those dang copper heads are mean tempered critters. I've had more than one strike out at me without any provocation. That's one thing I like about Michigan. Our one poisonous snake (massasauga rattler) is a very rare site. I don't envy you southern (and western) boys. Be safe...
April 13, 2015 02:54AM
[sites.google.com] Terror of the Wabash! Snakes are our friends!! LoL The rooster was never the same again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 02:56AM by rapidroy7.
April 13, 2015 05:08AM
Ok here is my story. I was going to school in the Navy. I was stationed at the Navy training center Orlando FL. Since we went to school Monday through Friday we had weekends off. One weekend we decided to go to Wekiwa Springs State park and go Canoeing. There were 6 of us and we rented 2 canoes. I was sitting point on one of the canoes. We had gone down river quite a bit but it was looking pretty wild with lots of trees growing out of waters edge and lots of Spanish moss. Looked like the bayou to me. I had never canoed before and pretty sure everyone else in the canoe had about the same experience level as me. At one point out in the middle of the river we all took a big dig with the paddles on the same side of the canoe. The canoe started to tip over on that side in fact I was sure we all were going to take a swim. Well in the panic I dropped my paddle. The others were not doing to well either, but some how kept thier paddles. In the craziness we lost track of where the canoe was going and by the time I noticed we where headed toward one of those trees growing out of the side of the river. In fact we were only seconds a way of slamming into it - and remember I was point. I threw my self backwards so now I am laying in the canoe as we slid into the tree with a big thunk. As I looked up through the tree branches I saw a big,and I mean big, water moccasin looking straight down at me. He defiantly had eye contact with me. I started screaming - Back! Back! Back! My friends in the canoe did not see the water moccasin - instead they thought I had hurt my "Back" from all my screaming. So here I am screaming looking straight into the eyes of this snake - who I am sure was nothing less then anoyed at my presence just a few feet below him. If I did not mention it before I could not set up because the tree branches were just inches above my chest so I was pinned. So finally my two canoe buddies decided to back the canoe out of the trees. As soon as we clear the tree I bolt upright. Still screaming Back! Finally I change my tune and start screaming Snake! because I notice the water moccasin is moving down the tree toward our canoe. As soon as my canoe buddies notch the snake the put reverse in high gear and we start moving away from the tree fast. Seconds later the big water moccasin drops down in the water and starts swimming toward us but at the last minute he most of got board with the whole thing and decided to swim down stream away from us. My heart was beating 90 miles an hour. I was really scared. I am scared of snakes anyway so spending what seemed like an eternity only inches away from a water moccasin was not fun at all.

Now years later I laugh about it because it was kind of funny - but also it was very dangerous. The really funny part is we lost track of time. So shortly after this event we noticed the time and knew it be getting dark soon. It was a new moon and pretty soon it was pitch black with only the light of camp fires in the distance and fire flies zooming around. Those branches hanging over the water where everywhere and we could not see them at all. So I was again point and I had my hand raised in the air trying to tell if we needed to duck or not as we tried to find our way back to Wkiwa springs. Now remembering what had just happened, I was not too thrilled with my current assignment, but it was very much necessary since I yelled Duck! A lot that night. The scariest part is the river had some kind of fish that liked to jump out of the water and catch those fire flies. Every time they jumped right in front of the canoe I had a heart attack. I am amazed to this day that we found our way back. I will never forget the canoe ride!

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 02:38PM by Bryannagirl.
April 13, 2015 12:31PM
The cotton mouth is an aggressive snake--have been put in the back of the truck on a couple occasions.They will also drop into a boat when the boat passes under the tree. I will give other snakes a break,but the ole cottonmouth is too unpredictable.
April 13, 2015 01:37PM
I have a lot of snake stories,lol. Here is yesterdays...
[forum.treasureclassifieds.com]
April 13, 2015 03:25PM
That will rattle your nerves,lol Funny Ray

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 13, 2015 04:41PM
Mostly Copperheads where Im at in Pennsylvania. They dont move or make sound and trust their camo. You can walk right next to one and never know. If you step on one though your going to have a bad time. Ninety percent of snakes I run into are out on large rocks soaking some heat from sunrays.
April 13, 2015 10:16PM
News Flash !! Dog was rasin' cane on front porch 5 min ago--being newly immobile I asked the wife to check it out--this 3 foot cottonmouth didn't realize he had invaded Mama's territory and he is now with dem Ghost Riders in the Sky. We call them "arms" around here,they don't get very long,but they are as big as your arm and the head looks like your fist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 10:20PM by doc holiday.
April 14, 2015 12:23AM
I just think that Keith wants to scare folks away from his best sites. lol
April 14, 2015 12:43AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since we're on the subject of rattlesnakes. I've
> spent many hours in the woods in my lifetime and
> have had several close encounters with Rattlers.
> Some advice for those of you out metal detecting.
> First a rattle snake doesn't rattle, it
> buzzes-very distinct sound. Once you hear it
> you'll never forget it. Next when you are out
> walking and you think you here a rattlesnake,
> STOP. No matter where you think the snake is
> based on the sound, if you don't IN FACT see
> snake, Retreat- step back slowly just like you
> approached the area before you heard the snake.
> DON'T think for one second you can just walk over
> to the side of where you think the rattlesnake is
> based on the sound-rattle (buzzing). This is a
> good way to get bit. Mother nature gave the
> Rattler something very special. The buzzing sound
> is a sound that is thrown-meaning to your ears and
> to RODENTS ears you (they) can't tell exactly
> where the snake is. This is actually how the
> Rattler gets the jump on rodents. This thrown
> sound plus their ability to strike gives them the
> edge. Just food for thought.

Well it's a mystery to me why a rattler would make any sound when it was trying to strike at a rodent , but maybe that's just me.
A rattler won't rattle when striking at prey , just a defensive measure , and half of it's defensive strikes involve no venom as that requires energy/resources to produce. Feeling lucky?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 12:44AM by shoveler.