Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What do you think about Whites offering Detech coils?

Posted by khouse 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What do you think about Whites offering Detech coils?
April 16, 2015 05:01AM
Then saying you need one to get the most out of your Whites machine! Whites have been making coils since 1952. They can't figure out a coil! What does that tell you about the machine? They couldn't buy a Detech and copy it? Can they not even reverse engineer a product? They couldn't make a Whites decal and slap it on a Detech with permission? After all they are in the decal business. What's next? Are they going to offer etracs? To get the most out of your Whites detector for deep silver we are now offering the etrac fitted with a Detech coil. I don't even think 1st Texas would buy this company on the courthouse steps.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
Re: What do you think about Whites offering Detech coils?
April 16, 2015 09:04AM
Some argue they already have with the V series. They have always followed MLs leed. But they do like their concentric coils. Oddly ut looks ML may be going the other way on their pricy machines. Keeping themselve as sole seller of assesories. Well unless you pay big royalties. Sunray cant afford to pay and do inline probes any mor see
April 16, 2015 09:43AM
I see nothing wrong with it but here's the problem. I have been following White's a few years. I won't say who, but a certain person who always references "his sweet soil" has been saying for years the White's coils are the only way to get the performance out of their machines. I call this caving to the market as far as offering the coils. I guess the 7 years R&D on the V3i was not about the coil. I've seen some try and do the comparison to an auto manufacturer and car tires. To me car tires are just like oil and gas. They are a wear item/consumable. I don't think a detector's coil fits that bill. The battery on the detector does IMO, not the coil. A stretch IMO. A coil cover I think would fit as well.
This was discussed just lately, White's that is. I posted. Folks can read if they want. I wish White's the best. I will say they are not going to be getting any of my money though when it comes to metal detectors. Five things have to change for this to happen:
(1) Their forum needs to go or at least allow for friendly discussion of other detectors besides their own, to include video comparisons.
(2) Their mid priced to flagship detectors need pre release reviews/testing with data (real and true) released to the public via detecting forums and other means.
(3) Five year warranty with at least 3 of those years transferable.
(4) Tin can look has to go
(5) Boat anchor weight must be reduced.
So there you have it White's. To have a chance at my dough, you know what you need to do.
April 16, 2015 11:25AM
I agree with what has been said.. The whites forum needs changed... The fox moderator needs gone along with his followers or yes men..all they care about is how many posts they make... Using 8 AA batteries needs to go... Lighter weight and better design.. Also steve howard works for whites but thinks its funny that everyone is upset with whites?? If i worked for a company that hasnt done much and alot of people were talking crap about us then id be worried, not thinking its funny.. That is what turns me off about whites.. And steve comparing coils to tires is rediculous ... I mean really?? Losing faith in your own ability to build coils says alot to me..and says alot to everyone.. Steve why compare tires? How about transmission ?? That is what sends the power to the axle..not tires, those are wear items duh! So toyota will not use a chevy transmission !! Ford will not use a mopar transmission !! Whites way of trying to bull@#$%& us makes me wanna buy a minelab today lol wtf?? Whites is living in the past.. I dont see that working..
April 16, 2015 11:28AM
LoL

this is some funny schit here man!

Poooor Whites = they got stuck in like 1992 and haven't progressed/changed much since (kinda like seeing a guy with a mullet these days)! lol

Their OLD skool stuff still rules though!
April 16, 2015 01:32PM
If they can't make a coil they surely can't make a machine. If your the owner of a company making widgets and someone is beating you with thier superior widgets. What would you do? I would buy several superior widgets foy my engineers to tear apart to see where we are going wrong. Then with that new information build an even better widget. Wouldn't you? I feel this is more of a financial move. I'll bet they are buying Detech coils way under thier cost of making them. This more than anytime in the past is where they should have used a Whites decal. It's one thing to buy an aftermarket coil. But to offer it direct from the Whites factory is a slap on the face! How does this make most of the current users feel? I mean you may have been doing and feeling pretty good about you Whites machine. Relic, coin and jewelry hunting. Now the manufacturer is telling you to GET THE MOST from your Whites you need a Detech! So now your thinking you were swinging an inferior setup all those years. I believe switching brands would now be an easy choice..

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
April 16, 2015 01:36PM
Oh, almost forgot doesn't the Detech coil also mean they lose the "Made in the USA" slogan?????? I think so!!!!!!
April 16, 2015 02:14PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, almost forgot doesn't the Detech coil also
> mean they lose the "Made in the USA" slogan??????
> I think so!!!!!!

They can get around that by this wording. "Partially Made in the USA"

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
April 16, 2015 02:20PM
I think this is being made to be more than it should be. They're not repackaging a machine as a new model or trying to mislead anyone. We are a small niche of the detecting community. I've seen discussion on the Facebook groups and this is being very well received. We've wanted better coils and we're getting them. I moved on from the V, but I would think folks would be happy there is a V rated 13" Ultimate coming down the pike. For all its quirks a V3i with a 13" ultimate that can be cranked SHOULD be a depth monster.
April 16, 2015 02:30PM
I just checked the Detech web site. Looks like they also make PI and VLF metal detectors as well. This is even worse! What if Garrett made aftermarket coils? Would you like to be starring at a Garrett decal all day while swinging a Whites? Would that make you feel good about your machine?

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
April 16, 2015 03:55PM
Why didn't Whites have Detech build a private label coil? They could have made them add 1 inch of coil cable and said that Detech is now making performance coils to OUR specifications. That would be easier to swallow.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
April 16, 2015 03:56PM
My buddy and I have been using detech coils for yrs on Whites machines for various styles of detecting, and are very happy with the results. The Detech coils, chosen carefully can really light up a White's machine. Particularly the MXT. I do believe that Detech coils over the 12x10 to 13" size may not be the best performers for most detectors, we have had great results with small Detech coils over using oem coils. We have found certain Detech coils give dead on pinpoint accuracy, depth equal to or better than oem coils of even a larger size, and some are super at unmasking good targets in lots of iron, ghost town hunting in particular. I also find that the White's forum is not very useful at all due to the attitude of those in charge and their followers. Pretty sad actually. I believe all brands of products should be able to stand on their own and should be compared to each other for best combinations for our use.
April 16, 2015 05:15PM
Most relic hunters "goto" coil for the MXT has been the 10x12 SEF coil anyway. I would like to see NEL get on board with some of their coils for the Whites machines.

Actually, some of the better coils for most all the popular detectors have been aftermarket coils. Whites has the SEF coils. Minelabs FBS machines coupled with an 8 inch SunRay coil have long been a favorite. Some like the SEF coils on them as well. NEL coils have been extremely popular with Garrett and Fisher machines.
April 16, 2015 06:40PM
Pretty good idea of you ask me..

Whites Im convinced cant make a great DD coil...

not a modern style anyways..

Coil design is a science and to be truthful in my opinion DeTech builds the best coils on the market...

their S.E.F. design is world class.

They brought in Eric foster to show them how to design a P.I. to the next level...

maybe they will hire a S.E.F. coil engineer to show them how to build a top end coil..

when the next MXT comes out I would like to be able to choose the 6x8 S.E.F. as standard!!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 16, 2015 07:15PM
Bout time!!....others been using aftermarket coils for years....more options the better....imho!!
April 16, 2015 07:58PM
Im not questioning the ability of the Detech. But why not reverse engineer the Detech? Why not private label a Detech? Detech makes detectors too. If they are ashamed of their coils then sell machines with or without them. But don't insult yourself and users saying you have to have a Detech to get the most from your Whites.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
April 16, 2015 08:07PM
I dont see an issue with after market coils........... specialization and competition is good. Some companies control way to much..... cant get a nut from them without sending the machine in.
April 16, 2015 08:36PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> I dont see an issue with after market
> coils........... specialization and competition is
> good. Some companies control way to much.....
> cant get a nut from them without sending the
> machine in
Nothing wrong with aftermarket coils. That's not the issue. One of many issues is Whites themselves are telling us not to use their coils if we want top perfornance. If Whites never made their own coils then no problem. If Whites can't reverse engineer a Detech or private label them they should stop making inferior coils. Then we could buy whatever coil we want. Im positive Detech bought all of Whites coils and reversed engineered them. Why can't Whites do the same.
It was Fisher for a while, now Whites time in the Barrel?
April 16, 2015 09:57PM
n/t
Re: It was Fisher for a while, now Whites time in the Barrel?
April 16, 2015 10:06PM
Didn't one of whites engineers leave last fall and go to First Texas?
April 16, 2015 10:31PM
Hey KHouse..

I know why you ask and why it bothers you...As it should as I can tell your passionate about the situation..

but at times its hard to see the forest from all the trees...

its not that they believe the coils are better or worse or any other thing except its about Money...plain and simple...

That's why we have to figure things out on our own ...Never believe the sells brochures...best detector made....??? best relic machine made???Best gold prospector??

I mean come on,,, is there some proven scientific data that say's these thing's to be true?? NO!

Whites can build a high tech coil and they may be doing it in the future or heck who knows they may out source if they see a demand for a proven name brand...

How do we Know Whites has not Bought Detech or Detech has not bought into Whites??????Stranger things have happened than detector companys merging>>>Nokta/Makro>>>Fisher/Bounty Hunter and other's thorugh out the history of detectors so we really dont Know the behind the scenes DEALS that go on...

But like before the bottom line is money...

Now does Whites believe that the coils are superior....Probably not but it sure sounds good!!!

But I also see it as a new idea and approach to offer a top brand top seller to compliment your purchase and lure you in...say a Mustang with Carol Shelby goodies added at the factory....

I for one welcome the addition ....and I think it adds a new demension to a product...

And lets face it building good coils is more than wrapping wire...and Im sure everyone thinks they build the best coils for their product and a few years ago I would of said yes stay factory...but in the last few years coil design has evolved and theres some real talented people out there making a big splash in PERFORMANCE coils....

What about warranty work on coils...Well if they sell a machine with a aftermarket coil maybe the aftermarket company has to warrant the work...V-rated coils goout more than we may Know when used in boost..

Now Im not saying I agree with Whites as far as keeping it American.. but at the same time I think we the consumer come out to the good...for I would always add a SEF to a MXT ....

I might even buy a comparable car to another if it has a Kenwood radio instead of the factory radio all other things equal...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 16, 2015 10:59PM
I just see it being the beginning of the end. I hope they prove me wrong.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
April 16, 2015 11:15PM
Nothing we can change about that...but plenty they can change...

Whites build's good solid equipment...I sort of worry about the MX5 idea ...that box is nice and strong and all but its not really a eye grabber..

the Old metal boxes look like the 80s but at the same time they will last...but they are really not needed....all electronics can fit on the top of the pole ...batts and all...it should not take over 3 volts two AA's to get great depth 4-AA's if you need a color screen.....

Tesoro will probably go before Whites though...

Whites has a strong brand name to the world....

People who dont even metal detect will ask if you have a Whites according on age 40+ ask if its a Whites less than 30 ask if its a Garrett...No body ask about Fishers or Tesoro when Im out detecting...

Whites in America is synonymous with detecting...

And they surely dont Know Minelab XP or Nokta or Deeptech or.>>>>> well you get the picture..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
April 17, 2015 03:06AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Nothing we can change about that...but plenty they
> can change...
>
> Whites build's good solid equipment...I sort of
> worry about the MX5 idea ...that box is nice and
> strong and all but its not really a eye grabber..
>
> the Old metal boxes look like the 80s but at the
> same time they will last...but they are really not
> needed....all electronics can fit on the top of
> the pole ...batts and all...it should not take
> over 3 volts two AA's to get great depth 4-AA's if
> you need a color screen.....
>
> Tesoro will probably go before Whites though...
>
> Whites has a strong brand name to the world....
>
> People who dont even metal detect will ask if you
> have a Whites according on age 40+ ask if its a
> Whites less than 30 ask if its a Garrett...No body
> ask about Fishers or Tesoro when Im out
> detecting...
>
> Whites in America is synonymous with detecting...
>
> And they surely dont Know Minelab XP or Nokta or
> Deeptech or.>>>>> well you get the picture..
>
>
> Keith
That is true they still have a good name if they don't wait too long....... They need to interact like Makro does. Maybe Whites could learn something?
April 17, 2015 06:20AM
Hey Keith,its offtopic but it would be great to see a test with Detech EDS 2 or EDS Catcher smiling smiley
April 17, 2015 10:30AM
After market coils and headphones have made a real leap in the past few years toward giving us better performance. Why spend money making something someone specializes in and you can get money for letting them..... thats a win win for Whites.... and in the long run for us. Honestly, i dont care what kind of frankentector they come out with if its a top shelf machine. I do have to say..... im getting tired of the China junk that i think they make inferior and sell lto us on purpose.
April 17, 2015 01:18PM
Who better to specialize in coil design than the manufacturer themselves? They have had years to do it. I think it says a lot about the engineers not being able to buy a Detech, tear it apart and see how it works then improving on that. I'm sure Detech did that? Why spend millions of dollars in R&D and not research new coil techniques? I would think the users that are staring at a Whites coil on the end of their rod has to be thinking they are not "taking their detecting to the next level" without an aftermarket coil. If Whites can't make a good coil then they need to get out of the coil manufacturing altogether and offer a Detech with every machine. To me this would make more sense. Since Whites and Kellyco are in bed with each other Whites may just be buying from the US distributor - Kellyco. This makes more sense to me as Whites will do whatever they say.. Kellyco wins again. I'm just throwing it all out there.... If there is more to the story then Whites should come clean.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
April 20, 2015 08:34AM
does seem odd that whitey would indicate that an after market coil works better on their detectors,,
when seemingly for years,their position was that 'IN HOUSE" coils were superior to anything being offered
aftermarket...i 'suspect",as a consumer that i "surmise" the reason why,however it is purely "speculative" on my part,
and not based on any facts,so it shall remain speculative.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 20, 2015 10:48AM
May come down to money...... its cheaper to buy/sub contract. Ive not kept up with it .... but how many other companies allow after market companies to produce coils that work on their machines? I get what you are saying..... you dont like that Whites is calling it better than what they can make.... maybe it is. Who knows if it works for them ...... other companies might do the same. Not that odd now days to buy cheap from China and put your high priced name on it. Parts are parts.... not much inside the box anymore made in America. I suspect if you got to checking most of the coils arent made by them.... they are made in a country that will do it cheapest..... like Maylasia or China. So the only difference would be Whites is leaving Detechs label on the coil ..... unlike most who like to have their name put on everything and call it THEIR manufacturing plant.

Dew
April 20, 2015 12:28PM
I was wrong to say Whites have been building coils since 1952. It's 1950. Anyway Whites, Garrett and Tesoro all build their own coils in house. Whites isn't sub contracting the Detech coils or they would have a Whites sticker on them. Yes - I don't like Whites admitting their coils are inferior to the Detech coils. Whites now should stop building any coil and just sell aftermarket. I mean by their own wording they are not building superior coils. They are saying another company knows their machines better and has designed coils that are superior to what they can produce. What's next? Whites contracting out to China to build a machine because they can't do it as good? Whites news letter reads "Take your detecting to the next level! Whites has partnered with China Machine Company the world leader in metal detectors to bring you the V3i-C and MXTpro-C models" Don't forget to couple it with the superior Detech coil.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]