Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

When is Simple Bad?

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
When is Simple Bad?
April 18, 2015 07:02PM
The Racer has me thinking about what an easy unit it is to use. I feel anyone could spend just a few minutes reading and get good results with this unit. But does this make it limited or is it that I just like to be able to adjust settings for special
circumstances? The Whites V3I, The Deus, and the Minelab units give you plenty to play with. I feel making them a more versatile machine. To me it is like riding in a car or driving a car. I just like to be in control.
I do like the Racer and I am not knocking it. I think it is one of the hottest units I have used that can give very deep , dependable results. The Troy X5, Tesoro Tejon do not have a lot of adjustments, but you can play with the ground Balance and get a little more from the unit. Maybe simple is not bad......Just boring......

Tom in SC
Re: When is Simple Bad?
April 18, 2015 07:16PM
Tom if it's boring you're not digging enough lol. I do like simple too.
April 18, 2015 07:17PM
As I get older, I tend to want to eliminate extraneous things from my brain. When detecting, I like to get a full picture of the settings on the unit when I look at the control box. Hence me always gravitating towards the CZ''s, the MXT Pro and my X5.

Don't get me wrong. I like hunting with my Deus, F75se, E-Trac and X-Terra....but something about the analog design and simplicity makes me hunt with the units mentioned above more.
April 18, 2015 07:18PM
tmanly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Racer has me thinking about what an easy unit
> it is to use. I feel anyone could spend just a few
> minutes reading and get good results with this
> unit. But does this make it limited or is it that
> I just like to be able to adjust settings for
> special
> circumstances? The Whites V3I, The Deus, and the
> Minelab units give you plenty to play with. I feel
> making them a more versatile machine. To me it is
> like riding in a car or driving a car. I just like
> to be in control.
> I do like the Racer and I am not knocking it. I
> think it is one of the hottest units I have used
> that can give very deep , dependable results. The

> Troy X5, Tesoro Tejon do not have a lot of
> adjustments, but you can play with the ground
> Balance and get a little more from the unit.
> Maybe simple is not bad......Just boring......
>
> Tom in SC
Simple is better at least for me. The etrac has probably 75% less adjustments than the V3i. Most all the etrac settings are "set it and forget it" I think this is why Whites sells more MXT's than any other pro machines. People want performance without worrying about what color they want their nickel icon to be..... Some still love their manual transmissions but most have conceded automatic transmissions are the way to go.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
April 18, 2015 08:58PM
A person some times can be their own worse enemy if given to many settings. A mechine with great GB system and TID with fewer settings is less confusing. Set and go....and dont be a button pusher. It helps them find ways to NOT dig targets.....which isnt always the right choice.
April 18, 2015 10:33PM
Simple may be bad when a machine is primarily designed to be simple with performance as an after thought. There have been a few simple machines I played with thought "boy if this thing only worked". ID numbers, sounds, and a couple of basic adjustments. I think that is a big reason a lot of people are attracted to the Racer and Fors CoRe. It isn't for everyone and every situation but it is an elegant functional product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2015 10:34PM by TabWhisperer.
April 18, 2015 11:20PM
Performance first, simplicity second for me.
April 19, 2015 12:20AM
Whatever works !

easier is well>>>>>>>> EASIER..

But if it takes hard to get the goodies then hard it will be...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 19, 2015 01:26AM
Granted some units are user friendly and well some guys just make some units extra hard...A word to the wise get a new complicated unit make a couple of trips with one of the club members proficient with the unit as it will shorten the learning period...Then again some guys are friendly and other well not so much so post your questions on the forum lots of excellent help here guys and gals....
April 19, 2015 01:16PM
You asked a question, Tom, and I've been thinking about it.

My answer: when it DOES NOT WORK. Why complicate something when simple works?
Leaves the brain with time/capacity for other thought processes that might help unlock a site and fill a finds pouch.

Maybe you're not bored. Maybe you're spoiled! <g>

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
April 19, 2015 03:12PM
The nice thing about what most people view as complicated machines is that they all or at least the ones I use have preset programs that you can pretty much turn on and go hunt. They only get more complicated if changes are made by an operator befoe he knows what the change does. For me I like being able to make changes and if they are not better I can always revert back to the factory settings.
April 19, 2015 03:55PM
People are their own worse enemy.

And people that think they are smarter than what they actually are, are all too common of a problem.

There's a lot of people that think they can handle a complicated machine and end up leaving a lot of stuff in the ground because of it.

I used to take it upon myself to try and help them. Then I realized that some of them don't want/need helped. So it's better just to let them go about it their own way; and just go behind them and gleam the fruit of their...well you know.
April 19, 2015 04:31PM
I always go hum, when a machine with many settings/adjustments and someone usually comments, "You don't have to adjust many of the settings, just a few." I guess we all could always argue and wonder are we getting the best performance possible when it comes to depth and separation, depending on what we are after? With fewer settings this best performance for the site/work at hand from a common sense standpoint makes a whole lot more sense than a machine with a gazillion settings/adjustments. Not picking on Blisstool, but boy, they are loaded with knobs.
Anonymous User
April 19, 2015 10:04PM
Unless you know what you are doing, playing with your detector is probably like playing with your..... Nope,ain't gonna say it but some people should hunt more.
April 19, 2015 10:27PM
Some people make things harder then they are. The Etrac is my only digital detector and is simple to get the best out of it. I'm a set it and forget it type of guy as I do 4 adjustment total and 2 basic disc. settings. That's it no big complicated programs or adjustment for every site.I run it pretty much like my 2 Analog Detector's with as little disc. as possible and let the Tones and modulation tell me what to dig. NUFF SAID.
April 20, 2015 01:21AM
I thought this might stir the pot.....lol

Tom in SC
Anonymous User
April 20, 2015 02:24AM
Kemper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unless you know what you are doing, playing with
> your detector is probably like playing with
> your..... Nope,ain't gonna say it but some people
> should hunt more.

Some people make things harder then they are. --Harold
I thought this might stir the pot.....lol --tmanly

Ha Ha
April 21, 2015 03:49PM
I have come to realize.............. for the last 13 years (about 6800 hours of detecting)................. I have made zero adjustments to my analog CZ. The only knob that is touched..... is the on/off knob. All other settings have remained exactly the same.
This also holds true for the X5, GMP, MXT, Gold Bug-2 and now the new F75LTD2 (with the stipulation of cycling through the EMI mitigation F1 - F7 freq's).
K.I.S.S.