Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Rusty bottle caps vs Deus

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Rusty bottle caps vs Deus
April 26, 2015 04:03PM
This has probably been answered before on this forum and I apologize for being redundant.

I have a really good area to hunt (early 1900's) around and old dance hall. This place has produced many nice coins in the past...both silver and old coppers...with many machines. I want to use my Deus there but the area I want to hunt is just layered with rusty old beer and soda caps. I think they tossed out these caps in this area for many many years. I know some good coins still exist in the layers as I have found them there before (mainly by accident...I guess).

If ya'll could help me out...what would be the best settings to use in this area with my Deus without having to dig up everything it beeps on? I know about hunting in one frequency and then switching to another while watching the ID numbers but that gets old fast. Can I hunt in one frequency without going crazy...due to the excess noise...or is there a special trick in identifying them that works for some of you folks?

If some one has a program that works pretty well for them I would appreciate the settings. I can try them out and show you some pics of the stuff I find with your settings. Heck...I'd even take you there to hunt with me if you had the time! Thanks!

Charles...in South Texas
Re: Rusty bottle caps vs Deus
April 26, 2015 04:49PM
Obviously you can stay in 4 khz and reduce the cap digging dramatically by avoiding VDI numbers above about 88/89 or use the 18 khz switch in reverse and only confirm they are caps on occasion but the only solution I have found is learning to recognize what many call the "round" sound. Because so many of those caps are hard to distinguish and are the more frequently encountered , I often carry a quarter handy so I can toss it down to "refresh" my hearing in a site with lots of caps but I still dig a good number of them because I'm OC. I have found some success with adjusting both the disc. setting and the silencer in specific sites as to getting the horseshoe and tone to get more distinctive but it seems to vary from site to site enough that there is no standard solution or procedure that works for me.
The rumor is that XP has done some improvements with this that we will see with the rumored update along with the rumored new coil which is rumored to be released late this Summer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2015 04:51PM by shoveler.
April 26, 2015 06:00PM
Hello Charles,

I was hunting parks in the past and bottle caps were my biggest enemy. I made many tests ~2013 and discovered a working solution that pushes the VDI of bottle caps out of my specific range, while other objects have still the same ID. The downside is - you have to sacrifice everything above VDI 90, but you should get rid of every bottle cap below this value. I can give you my first setting (I changed it over the time, but can't find the never ones right now and don't have much time for tests).

------------------------------
1. You have to change the ID NORM.
"Option" - "Config" - "Profile" - "ID Norm": "YES"

Disc: "10", (Expert): "4 Tones"

1 Tone: "100 HZ"
2 Tone: "100 HZ"
3 Tone: "603 HZ"
4 Tone: "100 HZ"

Tresh. 1T/2T: "10"
Tresh. 2T/3T: "40" (<- set this value where you like)
Tresh. 3T/4T: "90"

Sens: "90"
Freq: "4.0 KHZ"
Iron Loudness.: "0"
Reactivity: "3", (Expert) Silencer: "2"
Audio.Re.: "4", (Expert) Loudness: "0"

"Notch"
N1: Tresh.1: "0" - Tresh.2: "40" (<- this value has to match the "Tresh. 2T/3T" value above)
N2: Tresh.1: "90" - Tresh.2: "99"
N3: Nothing - "0"
------------------------------

This worked for me for a relatively long period of time. You can play with the values and see what works best for you. I removed notch in my latest versions.

But I'm using something different now - audio only. You can use this setting and see if it works for you: [www.youtube.com]

Here is an example: [www.youtube.com] (P.S. This is a remote location and not a city "park" if someone wonders why I don't care too much about the lawn (it's a hill, partially destroyed - you can't see it on video)

You can clearly hear the difference between bottle caps and probably "other trash". You have to sweep the coil very fast over the target and it will produce a specific sound (at least at shallow objects). If there are many bottle caps (as you say), you should have no problems adjusting your hearing to this pattern. I don't know how it sounds over headphones. I'm using the remote control only. If you have headphones and can't tell the difference, place the remote control near your ear (my is attached to the shoulder strap of my backpack). Maybe it's the speaker of the RC - I don't know.

Good Luck.
April 26, 2015 06:10PM
Just get an Etrac and problem solved. NUFF SAID.
April 26, 2015 06:15PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just get an Etrac and problem solved. NUFF SAID.

Exactly!

Or a CTX!
April 26, 2015 06:23PM
Sorry I forgot to mention you will dig the random steel bottle cap with the Etrac,But there will also be a silver coin in the hole with it. LOL!
April 26, 2015 07:07PM
April 26, 2015 07:27PM
LOL for coins in trash, I agree...CTX and eTrac are at least in the top 3 of detectors. Even they love screwcaps. But crown caps...not so much.
April 26, 2015 10:10PM
Thats ok for you young guys but us middle age guys can't swing a boat anchor all day.
April 27, 2015 01:26AM
Age is a state of mind. You're only limited by your mind on what you can and cannot do. At the gym I go to, there's a 72 yr old man that can bench close to 400 lbs and can outdo all of us "young people" on leg day. Especially leg presses. He slays me on cardio too. My great grandma was 99 when she died...a few days shy of her 100th birthday. She kept up a 3,000 sq ft house BY HERSELF that was spotless in every room. And would outwork a 20 yr old in her muscadine and grape vineyards. She kept up over 40 acres of them. We would go help her pick when it was jelly making time and she could pick 3x what we could.
April 27, 2015 06:30AM
detectojer Wrote:
> Thats ok for you young guys but us middle age guys
> can't swing a boat anchor all day.

I'll be 52 in September and I can swing my 5 lb CTX for 8 hrs straight on a daily basis with no problem at all

So

"Middle age" has nothing to do with anything
April 27, 2015 08:43AM
MLs do well on bottle caps because you learn what they sound like. The deus has a fast recovery LEARN the bottle capsound if possible. Any way you go you are getting coil shut down over them masking targets.
April 27, 2015 08:51AM
I find the XY screen to be helpful, also, if you suspect you're hearing a bottle cap, lift the coil up from the target, while swinging, if the numbers change, say, 95 down to 89, chances are it's a bottle cap. Coins or rings, the numbers will remain pretty much constant. This isn't fool proof, but it has helped me from digging most bottle caps. I dig some caps to verify that this is working for me.

And for those that can swing a "boat anchor" and think that age is a state of mind...good for you. Not all of us are as lucky as you.
April 27, 2015 09:49AM
unearth Wrote:

> And for those that can swing a "boat anchor" and
> think that age is a state of mind...good for you.
> Not all of us are as lucky as you.

"Luck" has NOTHING to do with it...

No such thing as "luck"...
April 27, 2015 01:51PM
I keep telling myself that my shoulder doesn't hurt but it still does.
April 27, 2015 02:18PM
If you have an area like mine littered with rusty beer bottle caps stay away from units that like them...Coinstrike and Ace 350 both good detectors just loved them so they didn't last log with me....Not up on the newer units so can't comment on them....
April 27, 2015 02:21PM
For one, just because I can swing a 6 pound detector doesn't mean I have to if there are alternatives.

For another, whether or not you will dig bottle caps, or square nails, or Jimmy Hoffa, has more to do with experience than with your machine. When I first began detecting with the AT Pro, I dug a ton of bottle caps, until I learned the thing and then I only dug bottle caps when I wanted. Same with the Whites V3i, the Fisher CZ3D, and same with the Deus. Incidentally, I have hunted with honest and experienced Etrac hunters and they will tell you the same thing; that when they got the Etrac figured out, they stopped digging bottle caps.

On every hunt, depending on what I am looking for, and depending on the conditions, I will either tighten my "dig criteria" or loosen it. I have even selected spots around here to clean up because I am looking for very special targets, which means I have actively targeted bottle caps and pull tabs to remove them. Someone else in this forum put it this way "look for reasons to dig, not reasons not to".

Do not fear digging trash, crown tops included, because there is no better way to learn. If you convince yourself that you have a magical machine that tells with 100% accuracy what's under your feet, you will leave a lot of cool and valuable stuff in the dirt.

Pinpoint twice, dig once
April 27, 2015 04:10PM
You guys need to go watch a special olympics some time. Go watch what people can do with physical and mental disabilities. Then try and give excuses for not being able to do something. There's a pro archer that is without arms and he shoots a compound bow bow from a wheel chair with his feet. He holds the bow with his left foot and pulls the bow back with his mouth. And he doesnt compete in any special classes. He shoots against other pros without any disabilities. And holds his own. I bet he could get out of bed and have good excuses for not doing what he does but he enjoys doing it so he found a way to keep shooting. Theres a similar guy that that shoots by holding the bow with his mouth and only has one arm. Also a pro fisherman. He sets the hook and reels with his mouth. Doesnt have legs or and has stubs for arms. And I personally shot with a guy at a tournament that didnt have legs. He lost them in a motorcycle accident and was wearing artificial legs. He shot really well. Not bad when archery starts with your footing on the ground.

Mind over matter.
April 27, 2015 07:40PM
I'm 52 years old myself and had my share of shoulder issue's,But the Etrac isn't too bad to swing and for me a lot easier then a CTX 3030. To me the CTX was a beast to swing even though it is balanced well. You can put the Sunray X-8 on the Etrac and it is a real pleasure as it seems to balance better and lighter then the pro coil and almost as deep. I just picked up a Sunray X-12 and think it swings easier then the stock pro coil or it seems like it balances better and is deeper and better hitting coins on edge.
May 04, 2015 03:35AM
Here is my two sense on shoulder issues and detecting. Years ago I had the same issues, the I changed the setup on all my detectors and the problem was gone for good. All my detectors are straight rod wherever possible with the box under the elbow...even the light ones like my Wilson and Fisher 1265. Then I shortened the rod and this is the key to no more shoulder fatigue. The handle on my detector is adjusted to be equal to my stretched out arm with the coil only about a foot in front of my feet. In this stance I'm not actually holding the detector up. It is just hanging from my out stretched arm. My shoulder is not holding up anything this way. You are just gripping the handle and the detector hanges from your grip. You have to get use to smaller swings with a smaller arc, but you never get a tired shoulder this way. Also, the added benefit of better coverage of the ground in front of you!
May 04, 2015 09:41AM
The E Trac is a very good detector. But people using them and thinking that the TTF program in iron compares to the Deus are just kidding themselves. And it is too darn heavy. Unless we stick together and force the detector companies to implement ergonomics into their products we will continue to see cinder block detectors. Get with the times Minelab. Pain from swinging a detector is unnecessary.
May 04, 2015 06:06PM
the deus needs a hodograph on the control box ))
May 05, 2015 02:51PM
The trick is in the "sound"

you can tell a rusty beer/soda cap by the broken/crackly sound they make VS coins, buttons, etc.

It may take a few hundred hrs using the Deus until you learn to hear the difference but I can call a rusty bottle cap VS a coin 99 outta 100 times just by the crackly/clipped and hollow sound they make

it's the same with most any other machine (CZ's are the same way) = it's all in the Tone/Sound