Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Our hobby for the physically challenged

Posted by gambler13 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Our hobby for the physically challenged
July 07, 2010 06:06PM
Posted this on other forums so figured I'd post it here. I'm a member of the physically challenged as an upper extremity amputee with very limited use of my remaining arm and hand. I have no flexibility or dexterity in the wrist and hand. I also had knee replacement surgery so kneeling can be a chore also. I got into this hobby after trying other hobbies with limited success due to having to rely on other people for help. Fishing for example, really enjoyed it but it was a hassle asking my buddies to always tie my lures, etc.. I do need minor help with this hobby, changing batteries, coils, etc. but most of it I can do. I use the term physically challenged and not disabled because most things are that, a physical challenge that can be achieved, just not in the usual or routine manner with some thought and effort. My point of this post is if you know someone who is physically challenged, try introducing them to our hobby of metal detecting. It might just be what they were looking for as an enjoyable and rewarding activity.
Re: Our hobby for the physically challenged
July 08, 2010 04:23AM
hey there Gambler
Your words about being physicallly challenged and not physicallly disabled pushed me into thinking around
the possibilities that are built into the word "problem".
The problem only represent a problem when you are unable to solve it......
Only by challenging trouble are you able to find a solution.
Thanks again for good words and a good tip for the days to come.
Happy hunting and good luck
trond
July 08, 2010 12:39PM
Very good advice!
July 08, 2010 05:44PM
Well said gambler metal detecting is a enjoyable rewarding activity! I have wondered about metal detecting for the blind and hearing impaired a blind person could hear a beep might have to have help digging, since my pinpointer has a vibrating handle wonder if they could incorporate into a detector, maybe its already out there?Many happy huntin grounds^

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2010 02:56PM by rapidroy7.
July 09, 2010 01:08AM
Any chance you have some post of you hunting with your F4 in Ontario? Think the nickname is locodigger? Just asking as I had noticed that this individual had his hand and part of left arm amputed. I was thinking to myself that this guy was a great role model for others with physical challenges....very well put indeed.

Welcome to the hobby and enjoy.
July 09, 2010 02:24AM
Rapid roy,

I have met and known several deaf detectorists, most of them very successful. One that lives in the southeast Florida area has made spectacular finds from the 1715 treasure fleet. One I knew was the keynote speaked at one of the FMDAC conventions. It's always humbling when someone with these disabilities "kicks your butt" while detecting. The very fact that they get out and try and succeed is admirable! Many of us should watch and learn.

Suncoast Wally
July 09, 2010 02:47AM
Wally..........How do I get ahold of Bill Babb? Got a e-mail address?
July 09, 2010 06:00PM
Tom,
I don't have one right handy but I will check. I think I can get one through FMDAC

Wally
July 09, 2010 06:29PM
Tom,

Called Jill and she advises that there has not been much contact in a while. They are at Treasure Week right now and Walter is supposed to be arriving and maybe he will know something. Let you know what I find out!

Wally
July 10, 2010 01:52AM
Thanks. I have one heavy stainless scoop that he custom-built for me ... some time ago.........and would like another one. I understand he is not making them any more......yet, he might have an extra.
July 11, 2010 04:26AM
hey thanks wally i often get people coming up 2 me while i detect mostly kids, if someone asked about a special metal detector what would you call it where can you purchase them?
July 11, 2010 07:11AM
You guys are treating this post as an open chat room. Your replies have nothing to do with the topic. Start your own post if your conversation isn't post related,
July 11, 2010 02:13PM
Now, now be nice we can talk about a lot of things here but Tom owns the forum ne seems OK with this topic...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
July 11, 2010 04:24PM
I think it it inspiring that you are keeping at it and have found a hobby you can do. You might look at getting extra lower shafts for any extra coils to make changing easier and detectors with batteries that slide in like the Whites and Minelabs, no dexterity reqired.

Do you have a nub below the elbow or no arm at all? The preacher who married my wife and I in 1978 had a nub below the elbow on one arm but he could hurt someone with it if he wanted to. He didn't let it slow him down either. He went bass fishing and would quail hunt...

I hope you do well and keep figuring out how to make things work for you!

Thanks for posting!

Julien
July 11, 2010 05:45PM
Off at shoulder as well as part of the shoulder. If left hand wasn't so messed, feel I could do about anything. Problem is, unfortunately it's not very functional. This is from an electrical accident.
July 12, 2010 02:08AM
My apologies for not clarifying. The person of whom I'm talking about (Bill Babb) is 100% deaf..........from birth...........and he is one of the BEST detectorists in history. He has made significant inventions (adapt/improvise/overcome) for deaf folks so they too.......can detect. We only THINK we need headphones/speaker!