Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I've mailed my TDI original off for the mod

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I've mailed my TDI original off for the mod
May 02, 2015 07:00PM
I will keep everyone posted on what the mod does once I get it back..

Its supposed to make the threshold smoohter and less to no warble ...In other words I will be able to run the gain higher with less noise ..

Plus I opted to get the the depth mod too so it should be intersting to see what the mod brings to the table...If the TDI can be ran smooth at high gain it may be a very very very deep unit in ANY DIRT...

Im EXCITED !!!..

P.s. theres also a new stronger battery for the original/Pro TDI to up the Voltage more too...

this thing could turn into a beast before its over!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2015 07:12PM by Keith Southern.
Re: I've mailed my TDI original off for the mod
May 02, 2015 09:07PM
Keith,are all the mods and battery that you wrote about for the SL?

El
May 02, 2015 09:23PM
What Elbert ask and also would that big depth increase be with GB on?

If so you may be really on to something.
May 02, 2015 09:49PM
No the TDI big box is the only ones getting the mod....the TDI SL does not have a MOD...

the TDI SL can get the stronger battery when available...the SL is already silky smooth from the factory..Yet not as powerful overall as the Big Box units..partially because the Big box units are running around 16 volts out the gate and the SL is running 12 Volts......

What Im getting done to my big box TDI is the Smoothing effect to make it run at higher gains without noise also takes care of the warrbly threshold...

the big box TDI's are very powerful unit's for sure but are usually limited to half-gain because of noise and un-steadyness in the threshold..Buy having the mod done this will allow the unit to be ran at higher and maybe even wide open gains.. and if it allows such it will be a beast of a unit in depth...Yes even with the Ground balance turned on...

Back to the batteries

If you have a SL you can get a 14.4 volt in the near future to push the SL closer to the Big BOX TDI depth....

If you have the Big Box TDI and TDI Pro you cna get a Battery to go to 18.5 volts and get the depth up higher on the Big units...

Hopefully with adding a Big battery and the Mods im getting done we will see a very very very powerful unit for relics at depth in the dirt...

I love P.I.s and love using them and experimenting with them and the TDI seems to be the most universal unit and Im glad theres some mods being done to enhance it...

For deep relics in the RIGHT SPOTS it hopefully will be a New demension in depth..

Time will tell..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 03, 2015 12:51AM
Keith,
Who does the mods??? And how much do they cost???
May 03, 2015 01:28AM
Are these Reg's mods? I liked the TDI..only used it for nuggets, but thought it was a nice, simple machine to use. Only sold it to finance a gp extreme. But to be honest, for me I should of just stuck to the TDI...I hate being tethered to a seperate battery.
May 03, 2015 01:38AM
Keith, I was hoping to get the mod to my original through the hole TDI ( one of the first two hundred made by Whites ), but Reg said they were the only ones that the threashold mod did not work on. Too bad for me. I would really have liked to smooth out the threashold and gained more depth. A simple preamp change of higher quality that would reduce internal noise is the way he explained it to me. How much does it cost and who sells the higher voltage battery pack for the big box TDI? I would like to have this done as much as for longer run time as for more depth. The TDI's are amazing PI's and I am happy for all who can get this mod done....Stuart
May 03, 2015 02:09AM
DeathRay being wrapped up in cables is THE reason I went to the TDI Pro--I still have my ML Extreme and 2200,but the TDI Pro is my choice by far.
May 03, 2015 02:20AM
Keith according to Reg Sniff the longest life battery currently for the big box TDI is the RnB Innovations TDI 6200 Li-ion 14.4 battery. Currently on Ebay for 169.99 pp.
May 03, 2015 02:29AM
Doc, that is the only battery I have seen so far, the one on E-bay. Hoping for more information on the stronger battery. How is the leg doing since surgery? Hope not too uncomfortable for you...Stuart
May 03, 2015 02:46AM
The newer 18 volt is intriguing--hadn't heard of it. Hope Keith puts out the info.
Leg is good--only 12 more weeks in cast.
May 03, 2015 02:50AM
Yes I did hear the through hole could not be done...thats a shame...

Yes the Mod particulars can be gotten from Reg...He is a member here and that's his user name...He developed the Mod I understand but has someone else doing them and He can get you in contact with that person..

Reidman is building a 5 cell 18.5 volt TDI Big Box battery....

He just had surgery I believe Friday ...
[www.mytreasurespot.com]

Im more excited about the mods right now..I will add the battery if I like what the mods bring to the plate.....

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
May 03, 2015 03:53AM
I ordered the higher capacity RNB for the TDI SL as soon as Keith and I worked out a trade deal on detectors. The original TDI and TDI Pro do have more umph to them though. The SL could have been a winner but I didn't like the first one I had due to the poor battery life. That was before these after market batteries came to be though. Will have to put it through the paces to see how long it lasts. If I didn't have a GPX I would be concerned with depth and overall performance but that is a mute point.

I will add this...anybody with a TDI should check out the Miner John & Razorback coils. When I had the TDI Pro, I put one of their 14" mono coils on it and WHOA BOY...that thing really upped the game on deep bullets and plates for relics. I think with the S rod design of the SL that the 14" would be too unbalanced so I am actually contemplating getting their 9" round coil. My purpose for having the TDI SL is for my wife to use at the DIV hunts when she goes, and for me to have a button/brass magnet machine. The GPX is by far deeper...but TDIs just speak the language when it comes to small brass. If I had to choose between buttons and bullets...at the end of the day its gonna be buttons.
May 03, 2015 06:57PM
I sort of like the Stock coil as good as any out of all the coils Ive used..

I actually want a smaller coil for working trash.....maybe a 5x8 or something..

Saw a 6 inch round coiltek mono once but not sure of the depth it would have..

I have a 5 inch razorback on the big Box a few years ago and it was decent..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
TDI is back from the Mod (VIDEO)
May 13, 2015 12:58AM
Im Impressed!! it does what it is supposed to do...Run SMOOTH!!

[www.youtube.com]

More to follow!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 12:58AM by Keith Southern.
Re: TDI is back from the Mod (VIDEO)
May 13, 2015 01:11AM
Wow that is impressive. Thanks for the video. I have a Miner John 5x9 folded mono coil. That's a good small coil. I use it most on my big TDI.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
May 13, 2015 01:52AM
Looking forward to your report Keith!! I use the 6x11 eliptical coiltek, joey i believe, on my gp...may be a good size keith.
I had the small razorback "piglet" coil on my tdi...hated it...falsed alot...maybe bad coil? Ray
May 13, 2015 02:29AM
Ive often wondered with the dual field if you could wire a switch up to shut off the 12 inch and leave the 6 running...the 12 might interfere with the field though if it was not on..

May ask Reg if its doable..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
May 13, 2015 04:38AM
Thanks Keith for an instructive video made in a difficult EMI area. But despite those conditions, the threshold stability at max gain was a solid improvement, and your estimate of 18" on a nickel is impressive. These are encouraging results.

Jim.
May 13, 2015 07:17PM
Just curious what that could mean on a salt water beach? Did it in any way change the uS?
May 13, 2015 07:48PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ive often wondered with the dual field if you
> could wire a switch up to shut off the 12 inch and
> leave the 6 running...the 12 might interfere with
> the field though if it was not on..
>
> May ask Reg if its doable..
>
> Keith

That sounds awesome Keith, when you talk they listen. I look for that to come out soon. Great idea.
May 13, 2015 08:30PM
Reg Sniff is definitely the man when it comes to the TDI and pulse machines in general.
July 20, 2015 02:22AM
Keith,
Any update on your TDI?
July 20, 2015 02:47AM
Yes buddy I'm interested in your results.
July 21, 2015 05:53AM
I remember some time ago someone used an extra AA battery in the ML Sov. he claimed it gave him greater depth. Never heard any update, though.
TDI 18.5 volt battery and SL 14.8 battery I make and sell both on Ebay
July 21, 2015 07:30PM
Both batteries push the detector to maximum depth. Come with new charger. Reid
[www.ebay.com]
[www.ebay.com]
July 21, 2015 10:17PM
Reidman, been meaning to ask if you could build a set of lithium ions for the Tejon?
July 21, 2015 10:32PM
Copied from add; " I got 8 hours out of mine shutting off between holes. Thanks for looking."

Reidman, can you explain that to me?
July 21, 2015 10:53PM
Run's a whole lot smoother wiht the MOD in urban areas to boot..

the Mod did not really give me much depth gain on low conductors but gave good depth gain on higher conductors it seemed..

If you have a Big box the mod to me is a no brainer.. its a must have just to eliminate the warbble and noise..

If you have the SL the Reid battery is allowing the SL to come very very close to the Big box.. even the modded big box..I plan on picking up the Reid battery for the SL and seeing for myself...

at the end of the day I would rather swing a SL over a Big box if it will get close to the same depth...Ergonomically speaking...

still consider this the TDIs allow for coin snipping in a Pulse unit.. that's HUGE!!!

The

-Nikola Tesla