Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Signum 7272 First initial thoughts

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Signum 7272 First initial thoughts
May 02, 2015 11:50PM
Well Been getting used to the Signum 7272 this last week...and I must thank Daryl for sending it to me to try out..!

It took me a couple of days to get it all absorbed into my thick skull..But Ive got on pretty good with it so far...

It can seem overwhelming at first but is still just a metal detector with new language and ways of doing things.....

And the first thing that will come to mind is EXTREME POWER...Yet very stable....

Now since I LOVE a mixed mode like on a Nautilus or MXT this thing fits the bill perfectly for that...Except way more power than a MXT.. it's more along the lines of ridiculus Nautilus Power..

Even has the hot and cold coil temps readjustment like on the Nautilus in terms of having to reset thing as the airtemp stabilizes them...Actually that's the first thing that comes to my mind is this is a Digital Nautilus with VDI ability...And also the ability to use DD coils and run disc lower...sort of a 21st century Naughty...And I LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT!

Built well in the control box area especially excellent intuitive straightforward approach .not alot of tweaking like some others..... the rods and Battery box and armrest could use some work but as hot of a unit as this is some things can be overlooked...

Im just delving into it and thought I would offer my initial thoughts....and msot things are simple yet seem complicated but its really not...

I can also say that the Ground bal is every thing on this unit...Seriously ... if its not set dead on or close to dead on you might as well stay at home...the unit has a real time feed and its intelinked wherever the ground is at....disc and all will be severely affected if its not right...get it too far off and everything sounds like iron and no depth...get it set right and its a BEAST of a unit..

I must also add the audio tone is very pleasing to the ear and almost draws you into the target with a melodic note!

and the Hodograph is more how should I say conveying and easy to use and really something I enjoy visually... Wow did I say that...!!

I've got alot to do with this unit and Im very excited to be able to test it...Im having to juggle it between some others right now for testing but Its a clever unit to be sure..

Thought I would touch base with it and I will add to this as I go...

Ill get some video's up maybe early next week...Gotta sort out a few things first .. People will like this thing! If you keep an open mind and arent affraid of some different words used to describe things.!LOL

Again I love the audio and Mixed mode of this unit...you can tell its really 2 distinct seperate channels closest to the Naughty yet...Does not have that Whites synthetic mixed mode feel..Not trying to say anyting bad about a Whites mixed mode but its never been in the Naughty league..Well this unit is in that Naughty type league...The depth you get out of this unit is up to you not the machine...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2015 11:59PM by Keith Southern.
Re: Signum 7272 First initial thoughts
May 03, 2015 01:52AM
Great to hear Keith

I've had my eye on this one for about a year now

keep it comin (vid too)!
May 03, 2015 02:02AM
Have fun Keith! I sent it to Keith to test out for y'all! Sent to Keith at my expense, and am not receiving any kick backs from Igor . Its all about sharing a fascinating detector!
Kinda feels good to give, as I have received so much info from all you guys on the forum all these years. smiling smiley
May 03, 2015 11:04AM
LOL, Keith now you'll see what we were talking about when it comes to the AKA machines. Thanks to possum, you may be surprised and wonder why you didn't try one earlier.
And those that were poo-pooing AKA's, might be kicking themselves themselves in the butt for doing so.

I reluctantly put my Berkut on ebay as it looks like my detecting days are over for awhile, have two kidney surgeries lined up.......................starting next weekend and next month,
sucks just when the weather breaks from winter.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
May 03, 2015 11:39AM
Looking forward to hearing how you get along with the AKA. I'm still deep in the learning process with my Sorex Pro. Right now it is a love-hate relationship. I love the idea of having so much control and adjustability on a detector and hate all the learning I have to do.lol I told a friend that AKA detectors were like a Nautilus and a Minelab Xterra 705 had a baby. Can't wait to see some video of your experience.
May 03, 2015 01:13PM
Sven1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOL, Keith now you'll see what we were talking
> about when it comes to the AKA machines. Thanks to
> possum, you may be surprised and wonder why you
> didn't try one earlier.
> And those that were poo-pooing AKA's, might be
> kicking themselves themselves in the butt for
> doing so.
>
> I reluctantly put my Berkut on ebay as it looks
> like my detecting days are over for awhile, have
> two kidney surgeries lined
> up.......................starting next weekend and
> next month,
> sucks just when the weather breaks from winter.

Hello Sven...that does suck and your kidney problem sounds serious, hope everything turns turns out great for you. May God help you through this and watch over your family during this procedure. Get well my friend and you will be swinging that coil again soon I hope.

Randy
May 03, 2015 03:12PM
Hey Keith,

Glad you finally got a Signum to test and nice to see you caught the power I thought it had.
Yeah, that ground balance really caught me for a loop. Checking targets out of the ground often gives weird results. The manual, from memory said you could balance with Ferrite before checking out of ground targets?
I am very very careful when GB'ing, which is a pain in Germany due to the "dirty ground".

I realize the unit has extreme depth (in my moderatly iron mineralized ground, even when loamy) but what I am curious to hear is how it does in iron. I don't hunt the heavy stuff buy Europe just has tons of iron
all over the place (hence my iron mineralized ground - full of flakes and that makes ID'ing tough.)

I do like the sounds of the unit. The polyphonic doesn't float my boat but the recommended mode with the all metal side turned to 0 made for a quiet hunt. I know I might lose some death but I was already getting
the deepest coins of my life running the AM side off! When the ground is cleaner then I turn it on. Very very flexible machine.

edit - just to add, the deepest coin I found, very oddly, was a 10" deep Nickel coin (large like a quarter) - hit SOLID. Stock coil 10.5" which didn'T make sense due to the lower frequency. Any ideas?

Thanks for the heads up,
Albert

ps - No ads, just wanting to share some videos, quite a bit with the Signum on some relatively deep targets and playing with settings ( and CTX and E-Trac): [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 03:17PM by earthmansurfer.
May 03, 2015 03:50PM
For me Signum is like an unfinished machine..big problems with setting the GB in my ground,complicated machine but does not offer big performance...maybe because that critical GB. I hope the Intonik will be something better

Liaso
May 03, 2015 05:31PM
So what else are you testing Keith...as I have said before I really like the racer but I am still hoping for a hybird that can hunt in the worst ground get better depth and have better ID with a twist...Oh wait that was my dream last night...

I was thinking on a DD if you could control the coil narrow down the strike zone and maybe shorten it of course that is what another coil would do..but when hunting in trash it would be cool to be able to do that even no everyone is shaking their head and saying no way....

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 03, 2015 06:36PM
liaso Wrote:
> For me Signum is like an unfinished machine..big
> problems with setting the GB in my
> ground,complicated machine but does not offer big
> performance...maybe because that critical GB. I
> hope the Intonik will be something better
>
> Liaso
=============
Can I ask you hearing,that you so surely say your opinion like an expert,but if you have any of AKAs or just none of them?What do you mean unfinished machine?Looking through tons of pages describing and discussing differnet detectors,never i met personally such a word "unfinished".
And my second question to you as well,saying not giving a big perfomance,what machine did you mean,that giving all that to compare?
What problems in GBing did you mean?If you mean to perform GBing on a contaminated site with iron,you will never manage to do as far physical laws will never allow you.
Do you think,that other detectors,which demand to make GBing before starting to search,make it smoothly on your area?And all the targets still detected there after all and a depth is like always expected?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 06:41PM by Igor.
May 03, 2015 06:52PM
Albert..

The Signum 7272 will need to turn off the tracking in airtesting...

I notice once I have it set I lock it and then I can check targets out of the ground fine...if you leave the tracking on and set it down while digging the target may very well turn to iron once out of the dirt uless yuo are reswinging the dirt spoil for a few seconds to track back to the soil..

In yuor videos when the coin was going iron out fo the soil you had tracking on I beleive...try ti again with tracking off and it will still read as it did in the dirt..Your trackign is actually trying to set the machine to the coin..

They have the target I.D linked to the Ground balance in a diffeent way to U.S machines..I notice alot of the Euro detecotors use a different approach to how they Ground sample....Off setting ground bal in harsh dirt jsut a few points negative will aslo make the ground come alive alot like the GMP or DEUS or DTVG will...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 03, 2015 07:10PM
ive had a signum and it was very difficult to ground balance it in clean ground..unfinished machine means for me a detector with great features but they are not put together to make a great detector.i found more with vista smart and deus.just my opinion,maybe im wrong and sorry for my english

Liaso
May 03, 2015 07:26PM
liaso Wrote:
> ive had a signum and it was very difficult to
> ground balance it in clean ground..unfinished
> machine means for me a detector with great
> features but they are not put together to make a
> great detector.i found more with vista smart and
> deus.just my opinion,maybe im wrong and sorry for
> my english
>
> Liaso
==================
Of course,anyone could say any opinion and any words and no chance to check a truth except for testing and checking by others.But the others say opposite things.It looks like you saw a Signum near you or probably had it for a short period of time and didn't try to make any serious steps to learn or to use it by a true way.This is my personal opinion about your personal view on Signum.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 08:09PM by Igor.
IGOR
May 03, 2015 07:41PM
Igor On the Signum 7272 I feel you have a VERY VERY good ground balance system...Very Unique in what it achieves...its an outsdide the box approach that gets results..

I have been wanting a deep seeking VLF and it seem's the 7272 SO FAR does not dissapoint in those regards...

Im very encouraged by the Signum...

I see it satisfactory at unmasking using the 14khz 6 inch coil .. but using the larger coils even the 6x10 at 14Khz its a Beast in depth with Good I.D. ability...

the hodograph is very very Nice I might add..And Im not a screen watcher by any means but that hodograph is very CLEVER..

By the way that 6 inch coil may be the deepest 6 inch coil Ive ever ran..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 07:43PM by Keith Southern.
Re: IGOR
May 03, 2015 08:17PM
Hello Keith,
thanks for your first review of the Signum,AKA appreciates any new testing of the products going from abroad as far soils could be really different and there are other detectors,that should be compared with.
Especcially if tests are made by an experienced user.
May 03, 2015 08:30PM
Ill run it through the paces in the next week for sure. and Hopefully get some videos up...

I notice the newer 7272 has a collapsable rod system...The overall finish looks more rugged and comfortable...

I like the idea of a collapsable rod system like that..My ATV tool box is small and I have to take detectors apart to get them inside the box.. the DEUS works well in there wiht its collapsabel system it has.....and Im sure the new rod on the 7272 would TOO!

What setting do you recommend for high iron trash unmasking if I may Ask?

Something along the lines of unmasking like the GMP or DEUS...I have the small 6 inch 14k coil in my possesion...

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
May 03, 2015 09:52PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Ill run it through the paces in the next week for
> sure. and Hopefully get some videos up...
>
>
> I notice the newer 7272 has a collapsable rod
> system...The overall finish looks more rugged and
> comfortable...
>
> I like the idea of a collapsable rod system like
> that..My ATV tool box is small and I have to take
> detectors apart to get them inside the box.. the
> DEUS works well in there wiht its collapsabel
> system it has.....and Im sure the new rod on the
> 7272 would TOO!
>
> What setting do you recommend for high iron trash
> unmasking if I may Ask?
>
> Something along the lines of unmasking like the
> GMP or DEUS...I have the small 6 inch 14k coil in
> my possesion...
>
> Keith
================
O.K.
There could be several types of rods suitable for Signum.All of them seem to be collapsible.
Concerning settings for contaminated area,the second factory presets could be applied for.If you,for example,missed all the factory presets,it could be easy to return them.
Trying the second programme as a way of choice,the third could be also tried.But this one is preferable for rather clean sites.
Any coil at 14 khz is preferable when passing on iron,than 7 kHz.The smaller size is also a factor on this way.So,your 6" at 14 kHz is a true choice to start with.
May 03, 2015 10:25PM
This is the configuration that caught my eye for collapsability..

Also If a person was to require a 19Khz 6 inch DD coil it could be built ? ...

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
May 03, 2015 11:05PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> This is the configuration that caught my eye for
> collapsability..[i957.photobucket.com]
> /ae54/relics8/akasignum2-300x198_zps2nnh4fqz.jpg
>
>
> Also If a person was to require a 19Khz 6 inch DD
> coil it could be built ? ...
>
> Keith
=========================
This kind of rods is the most spread and being used since 2008-2009 for different AKA models and at present as well.It is rather light,durable and collapsible at the same time.
All unusual coils could be produced due to a special order,but probably later,I was asked about the same a few days ago and found it out at AKA.
But 6" by 10" at 20 kHz is produced and available for dealing.
May 03, 2015 11:05PM
Igor wrote:
If you mean to perform GBing on a contaminated site with iron,you will never manage to do as far physical laws will never allow you.
Do you think,that other detectors,which demand to make GBing before starting to search,make it smoothly on your area?And all the targets still detected there after all and a depth is like always expected?

WOW no truer words have ever been spoken. Something for all of us to realize with every machine we run..
May 03, 2015 11:18PM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
> Igor wrote:
> If you mean to perform GBing on a contaminated
> site with iron,you will never manage to do as far
> physical laws will never allow you.
> Do you think,that other detectors,which demand to
> make GBing before starting to search,make it
> smoothly on your area?And all the targets still
> detected there after all and a depth is like
> always expected?
>
> WOW no truer words have ever been spoken.
> Something for all of us to realize with every
> machine we run..
==============
Generally speaking,that is not an issue to try GBing on contaminated area with iron and a detector somehow will fullfill it,but detecting is wrong after that with wrong VDIs,hodographs and all the other methods of ID.
Of course,saying above I meant exactly correct GBing,but not GBing as a whole.
May 04, 2015 12:05PM
Igor, please list all available coil sizes and frequencies!
May 04, 2015 12:36PM
possum mo Wrote:
> Igor, please list all available coil sizes and
> frequencies!
=========================
Here they are,
6" at 7 kHz
6" at 14 kHz
6" by 10" at 7 kHz
6" by 10" at 14 kHz
6" by 10" at 20 kHz
10" at 7 kHz
10" at 14 kHz
9.5" by 12.5" at 3 kHz
9.5" by 12.5" at 7 kHz
9.5" by 12.5" at 14 kHz
9.5" by 12.5" at 20 kHz
13" at 3 kHz
13" at 7 kHz
15" at 3 kHz
15" at 7 kHz
9.5" by 12.5" at 3 frequencies
13" at 3 frequencies
Of course,not all of them could be available when I ask at the AKA' stock.
May 04, 2015 05:25PM
how are they getting on with the wireless headphones ?? software On OFF ??
and how does it compare with deus ??
May 04, 2015 06:03PM
diggers Wrote:
> how are they getting on with the wireless
> headphones ?? software On OFF ??
> and how does it compare with deus ??
=====================
AKA does not have a task to compare with XP in making something due to wireless feature,what for?Mainly,the AKA's advance is in searching features,but not in a service like wireless headphones.But if a user would like to connect any wireless headphones to Berkut-5,Sorex pro or Signum MFT,there is no issue to use any of them having a transmitter.Moreover,for example,a Berkut-5 has this option build into the scheme and opened through the menu.
May 04, 2015 06:21PM
Thanks for the info IGOR...the 20Kkz would suffice nicely...

was not aware there was 20Khz already built...!

Thanks

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
May 04, 2015 09:33PM
Possom Mo, you may never see your Signum again.....LOL
I can't wait to see if Keith can pick out some more goodies at his cleaned out sites.......................

Works for me
May 04, 2015 09:52PM
Hey Sven, If we cant trust Keith, who can we trust? I'm letting him use it for a few months if he chooses. Maybe it will be all worn out by then? LOL.
May 04, 2015 11:26PM
Oh you can trust him.....and if he does wear it out.......he'll get you a new one.............

Works for me
May 08, 2015 12:13PM
Hey Keith, has Igor contacted you?
I pm'ed him about getting a replacement 6 x 10 coil, but no answer yet.
Maybe he is on vacation this week?