Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Micro Pulses

Posted by Texasdirtdauber 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Micro Pulses
July 11, 2010 01:12PM
Tom, the two Garrett PI machines have 750/730 pulses per second. How does this translate into the micro pulse spectrum?

Frank L/TX
Re: Micro Pulses
July 11, 2010 03:10PM
I'm not sure I understand the 'micro pulse' question. Are you referring to micro jewelry detection capabilities?
July 11, 2010 10:11PM
Yopu have referred to 10 microS as the optimum. I don't really understand the microS at all.

Frank L
July 12, 2010 02:13AM
Pulse Delay = The time BETWEEN........when the transmitter is turned off......till the receiver is turned on. For instance; The transmitter is turned off..........and you wait for 10-microSeconds......then the receiver is turned on. This is "Pulse Delay". Gosh........I hope I'm making this clear! I may know what I'M talking about............but may do a poor job explaining it! If so..........JUST HOLLER! I'll explain in further detail.
July 12, 2010 03:03AM
Now, back to the original question--how do the Garrett pulses per second equate with the 10 micro-seconds?

Frank
Tri
July 12, 2010 01:14PM
Forgive me for chiming in, I believe what you wish to know is 10 micro seconds is 10 millionths of a second, meaning that once the pulse is turned off, the receiving circuit WAITS 10 millionths of a second, then samples (listens for) the received "echo" from your target and is looking for that very short pulse, because the "echo" produced by a small gold target is VERY CLOSE to 10 microseconds , I believe Tom means this very short time delay is optimal for finding small gold especially on a beach. Here is a very nice link ( [www.deeptech-bg.com]). Hope this helps. Sincerely Tri
July 13, 2010 01:18AM
Very good 'read'. Reg is quite knowledgeable. This saves me a bunch of time!

PPS = Pulse Per Second. The PPS of a PI detector has nearly nothing to do with pulse delay. How many times the transmitter 'fires' per second has virtually no relevancy to 'pulse delay'.

To ask about the PPS of a Garrett detector does not constitute/gauge performance to small gold. I would need to know the pulse delay of the Garrett units........to 'start' to have an idea as to its level of 'small.....low conductive' target detectability.

I seem to remember (many years ago) testing a Garrett PI unit (SeaHunter???) on the beach......and it was 'small gold' dead. It performed okay on mens gold rings.
July 13, 2010 03:58AM
Thanks, Tom/Tri-I did read the PI tome by Reg and darn, I should have stayed with EE in college instead of switching to Geology (less physics). Your last statement, Tom, about the Sea Hunter being 'small gold dead' was really the crux of what I was looking for.

Frank L
Reg
July 15, 2010 05:44AM
Hi Tri,

Thanks for the link to the article on PI's. Wow, time flies!!! I didn't realize I wrote that PI article 7 years ago. Bill Southern (the owner of the nuggetshooter site) asked if I would write something for his website about PI's so I tossed that article together quickly. Looking back, it didn't come out too bad but could use a couple of updates and tidy up a couple of points.

That PI article was written back when my sidekick and best hunting partner was my dad. He loved his nugget hunting and that article will always remind me of the good times we had together wandering the countryside hunting for gold. I used to take my vacations such that we could use the time nugget hunting in AZ. He always had to get a "running start" and would leave a week or two before me to check out the area. That was great because he always had a great time and loved to show off his finds once I got there.

The year I field tested the SD 2200 for Lost Treasure my dad was there and managed to find the largest nugget, a one ouncer. Boy did he get a kick out of that. I will never forget his ear to ear grin while he showed off his prize.

To be honest, my drive to build a lighter PI was because of him. He has a bad back and needed something lighter to lug around. The ultimate result was the special PI that could detect the "invisible nuggets" mentioned in another thread. BTW, that detector weighed less than 4 lbs battery and all. Later when a lady friend went with me, I trimmed the weight down to just under 3 lbs for her and she still complained how heavy it was.

That lighter PI extended my dad's nugget hunting for a few years which is time I will always remember and treasure. It helps overcome what I see he is going through today.

So, if you enjoy my articles and the little things I have contributed in the advancement of the PI, thank my dad.

Reg
Tri
July 16, 2010 12:50AM
Reg, I have a background in electronics, mostly in satellite communications but you have jogged my memory as well as Tom, I only wish I could dowload your memory banks. Thank you for such a straight forward article, I know some think it may be on the "technical" side, If only they knew the electronic formula's needed to calculate the parameters for such undertakings. Kudo's to Tom for bringing out the "real world" best from the lab to the field. Last but not least many thanks to your Dad. Sincerely Tri