Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Adjusting Gain in the trash...another button

Posted by Tom41 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Adjusting Gain in the trash...another button
May 07, 2015 03:02PM
Thanks to some tips from members about the Gain I worked the area where the staff button came to light the other day. This time I lowered the gain to 39 and worked up to 50. You can see the other dig holes in the first px, tip of my finger shows the staff location. All these targets were much more noticeable among the trash this time in the same spot I already swung over. ID was lowered to 5 to hear what was down there...the good tones were mixed in and would sound off with the junk...almost a blinded tone if that makes sense.

The staff reads 76-77 by itself and the eagle reads 60 but when they were in the ground numbers were all over. That tone mixed with all the iron is what makes you want to dig. Nails and bits were in every plug. On some targets I could hear a good tone in the ground...dig the plug and it would disappear, work with the pointer taking out iron and I would come across the target. Brass, buck ball, a drip, rivet and the eagle all because I went back and played with the gain. Got spanked twice with two triangle sickle blades...boy those things sound good.

thx guys for the tip...going back out in a few.

Re: Adjusting Gain in the trash...another button
May 07, 2015 03:23PM
39 is the trick in heavy trash/nails/iron. Even lower sometimes. Glad it worked for ya and you don't need all that power in that junk.
May 07, 2015 03:36PM
Jack none of the good targets were over 4". Only the sickle blades were deep. Can't believe how that iron can mask the keepers like that, never would have thought this was still left.
May 07, 2015 03:47PM
Nice work!

Yeah 39 is the magic # for trash/nail pits IMHO. You're typically not looking for depth as much as you are surgical seperation.

HH,
Brian
May 07, 2015 04:24PM
In a day and age when everybody wants more depth more power less is very good a lot of the time. High beams in the fog comes to mind with that said mmm...... Now sweat some and if you are able to excavate a little, make more things come to light.
May 07, 2015 06:15PM
I speculate there are many, many good targets greater than 4". . . . . . . however, masking is preventing you from seeing anything beyond a depth of 4".
May 07, 2015 07:18PM
Agreed, wife is not going to like it when I start digging up the yard in large sections but I can say I'm clearing the yard of nails lol
May 07, 2015 07:21PM
Went back out and pulled in a dime, brass lantern ring and a small button....modern though.
May 07, 2015 08:10PM
Wait a minute this is your yard? I hate to tell you but I would be planting grass later this summer. After I aerated it deeply lol
May 07, 2015 11:31PM
Jack the CW hospital used to set here. Over the years I've had some nice finds come out. Wish I could find the pit around here but they say those things are deep and you have to probe for them.

Thinking about doing a 6x6 test patch where I've pulled the buttons from. Should be interesting to sort out the iron vs other after going down a foot or so.
May 08, 2015 01:58AM
Hey a probe we use em all the time Lol. I'd dig that test plot!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2015 01:59AM by Jack Flynn.
May 08, 2015 02:39AM
It is a catch 22 go for depth and get masking on ground with a lot of iron or trash or litghten up on the gain or sens and get what you can and that might be enough till the next wave hits the market...I like the idea of less is more

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 08, 2015 10:42AM
Tom, your property? Know anyone who will lend you a mini excavator?
May 08, 2015 01:52PM
Pretty sure you could make a weeklong event out of it, and about 50 of us would show up to help.....
May 08, 2015 04:20PM
Have a bud with a bobcat...that would be a way to get that first layer off fast. Relics have came from all over but best finds seem to come from the back of the old house. Found a cap bust in the front yard and a hunting buddy found a 3cent pc in the back, those were the oldest coins. You can see in some of my vids the dirt is pretty loose so could see things could be deeper...just have to get past all that trash.

Sounds like a BBQ weekend in the dirt coming lol