Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CTX 3030 at a lake...a "stimulating" experience.

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CTX 3030 at a lake...a "stimulating" experience.
May 09, 2015 04:44AM
THE DAY STARTED going to an old torn down school that was up on a hill. The school was from the 1900's and was torn down in the late 1960's. Ticks, snakes(copper heads 4 ft long) and dump piles all over. I was really pissed and disappointed as I had researched this place for months. I didnt want to give up on the place, but my father was too impatient to stick around looking for the deepies. Most likely Dan PA and his crew hit this spot as well and cleaned it out. I was Dyin to use the V3I but we went to a lake so I didnt want to "get her wet"(Yea yea I know). Took the ctx3030 instead. My first target was a 12-42 10.5 inch wheat penny from 1935. It look like it just came from the mint. Shiny copper, full wheat ears. I thought, "Man this place is gonna be good". A few minutes later, my dad was knee deep in mud. I had to go bail him out. UGH! More time wasted! Not finding anything so I decide to "open her wide(yea yea I know)" and take out the discrimination and go two tone. A few dozen 12-10's and under nets me 6 studded earrings(Dont know whats good and whats not(Some have diamonds, some look like tarnished silver(Small though))). I got another wheat penny, 12-43 at 5 inches 195? as the last number looks like it was shot with a BB. A few clad. Then a 12-01(barley hittin) I dig down 10 inches and pull a ladies class ring. It doesnt look like there is a mark on the inside, made in 1988. 14K white gold or platinum? I could use some info from the ring masters.

Still at only 1 silver for the year so far, tells you how bad THIS FN area is(disgusted).

Bey
Re: CTX 3030 at a lake...a "stimulating" experience.
May 09, 2015 07:02AM
Bey,
If you've got a nice looking white ring with no maker mark or inner markings of any kind, chances are you've found a Valadium (AKA stainless steel) type ring.
(The makers have their own fancy made-up name to keep from actually saying 'stainless steel'.)

Just found a stainless ladies ring last week. Fooled me completely. Looked/felt just like white gold for sure. Even has a beautiful comfort fit bevel. Has a nice heft. Looked it up...about $6.00 shipped from Amazon. sad smiley

You never know, though. Mark might have worn off. Jeweler would know for sure. Just be prepared for mild disappointment.
I'm seeing more and more of the stainless rings...especially class rings.
Gold prices are just too high for class rings.

But, hey, at least you're getting out. We've had rain non-stop for...well, I don't remember now...way too long.
HH,
mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2015 07:06AM by Mike in CO.
May 09, 2015 07:11AM
...meant to add the name 'Lustrium' to that first line, as well. Typical term for a stainless alloy used by the class ring industry.
cdv
May 09, 2015 07:46AM
Couldn't agree more with what Mike said Bey, odds are you have one of the "new age metal" class rings. One test I do prior to an acid test is to take a strong magnet and put it real close to the ring (& earrings). Lower grade SS will be attracted to the magnet, sometimes ever so slightly. You can tie the ring to a thread and dangle it for the test or if shaped right you can just stand it on edge and see if the magnet moves it. IF it moves it isn't gold, ultimately, a jewelry store can tell you if it is gold but if you find yourself wanting to water/beach hunt more, a cheap acid kit is what you need. Finding rings in ponds and lakes is what got me started.....careful, next thing you will want to do is move to a beach.... Being land locked in Pa. was to much for me to take... :-)

Cliff
May 09, 2015 03:13PM
There are three words written in fancy cursive. I cant make out what they say even with a jewelers loop.

S(ends in "al")
S(first "S" used for both words).
N(long word)

Thanx anyway smiling smiley

Bey
May 09, 2015 03:48PM
Perhaps as over the years hit a lot of places...Must have travelled in a 100 mile radius so indeed a lot of ground covered...As far as the ring could be white gold from another country or real old as many were not marked...One fella found a copper colored multi diamond type like ring and almost tossed it until a jeweler found it to be an expensive old Russian ring so a check with a jeweler is in order....