Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Have you noticed the direction this forum has taken

Posted by Elbert 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Have you noticed the direction this forum has taken
May 10, 2015 08:10PM
since 2 members have recently joined and I see we now have a new member that is similar to those two. I applaud the pro's on this forum that don't respond to their childish behavior,
Re: Have you noticed the direction this forum has taken
May 10, 2015 08:17PM
Elbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> since 2 members have recently joined and I see we
> now have a new member that is similar to those
> two. I applaud the pro's on this forum that don't
> respond to their childish behavior,

It was an off topic subject, the point was the other views forum only gives freedom of speech if you agree with the Guv and his views, otherwise you get the boot.
Your post is really no better and wants to stop free speech. Yes this is a great metal detecting forum but variety is the spice of life, loosen up and let us express some views.
I did not interfere with other subjects just have a disdain for the views forum, sorry if you think other opinions are not as mature as yours.
May 10, 2015 09:21PM
I tried to contain things. I asked to return to detecting discussions. But some saw fit to get the other forum in question involved. I made one statement about the views forum and I now wish I never did. It contaminated this great forum. I'm sorry to Tom and the great people of this forum. But with all that being said there are a few posters on here that spread misinformation about me. And to those few..... well let me just say how pathetic I think your actions were. Back to detecting for me. The rest of the other stuff isn't worth it. Again....... Sorry to Tom and this Forum. I come here to learn about the most rewarding hobby out there. My VIEWS will remain elsewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2015 09:36PM by goodmore.
Anonymous User
May 10, 2015 10:00PM
Seems pretty mellow here to me. Maybe you're not trying. See if this helps ---

[www.youtube.com]
May 10, 2015 11:49PM
I have no idea whats going on lately and its none of my business but even though I am not much of a gambler I am willing to bet that one of the members here will be getting the boot and things will be back to normal.
May 11, 2015 12:12AM
Im pretty much done with this forum, untill he is gone. Brings out the worst in me.
May 11, 2015 12:24AM
Can't everyone just ignore the a**clown.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
May 11, 2015 03:49AM
I'm getting more into the technical how and why aspects of the hobby and this has been a really good place to read about those types of things. Geotech is also great for some real in depth stuff,some of that transfers here in one way or another. So,that's why I joined,to learn and get better at this hobby,ask questions and eventually hopefully be able to guide others correctly,not just with heresy. I think that's where the content should be monitored,not to hinder free speech but more to keep things on track. Just like I can't go to Mr Jones' place and detect willy nilly without his permission,so a privately owned site should also be. There's no need for anything but good straight ahead informed discussion about the hobby of metal detecting,and I'm sure Mr Dankowski intended just that. With all the misinformation floating around about various things,it is refreshing to come to a site where people are knowledgable,passionate and helpful,especially to people who are newer at this and want the correct information,not just what they want to hear,or,the supposed magic shortcut to becoming a master detectorist over night. When conversations and threads start to detract from that it's a complete turnoff,really. It is the choice of the admin to...well....administer. To have people get sucked into the event horizon of someone who has little to contribute in a positive way is just sad. To the guy(s) who want to ruin this place,just start your own forum. That way you can say what you want,when you want and it's all good. If you have members who want to joust,that's your thing and you have what you want. Here,we want to talk detecting and how to do it better with better results,and discuss what might be in the future. Lets just leave it at that.
Anonymous User
May 11, 2015 05:03AM
Detecting is much more than detectors and the technical aspects of equipment. A metal detecting forum can cover different aspects or it can be a detector forum rather than a detecting forum. A detecting forum can be a lot like a high school class. It can have a Drama Club, It's share of geeks and those who want to be the teacher's pet. Some will graduate from high school but never leave the parking lot.

If a person joins a forum they should not try to tell someone what to bring to the forum. While opinions about this forum are interesting they should not try to discourage certain issues that are metal detecting related. Issues that are not detecting related do not bother me but I can see where someone expecting metal detecting issues may not want them on the forum. I'm not really into political discussions but I find it interesting what is going on around the detecting community and that includes other forums as well as other places where detecting issues are shown.

Not everyone can or is willing to look at different sections of a forum on an individual basis. Some can only look at the forum as a whole and want to try to make the forum appear a certain way. Some people will not try to promote what they want in a forum by adding to what they like but will try to take away from other areas.

As members we are on this side of the screen and should not try to tell those on the other side of the screen what to do. Opinions on what they did should be open for discussion,in my opinion. I'm sure it is a difficult job to keep a forum going in the direction they want it to go. Members will,in a way,dictate the look of a forum. Posting a thread about a find or a thread about someone asking advice and keeping them interested and making them laugh with you will easily get lost. Members are sometime far more interested in name calling,cussing and making threats against another member. That can stay on their record. Helping others and making detecting fun can also stay on someone's record. Those who control the records can have an impact the same way those that control a forum do.

Some might not fit into a forum. That might mean the person is lacking on what it takes to be a good member or it may mean the forum is not up to par.
May 11, 2015 05:42AM
I didn't mention any names or subject matter.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 05:43AM by Elbert.
May 11, 2015 05:54AM
Elbert Wrote:
> I didn't mention any names or subject matter.smiling smiley

Not that it helps...but anyone that has been on any type of forum knows that these clash issues always pop up and clear up.... I have seen very long lasting metal detecting forums in the past just close shop with trolls and spamming.
Anonymous User
May 11, 2015 01:06PM
Not that it helps...but anyone that has been on any type of forum knows that these clash issues always pop up and clear up....--guvmore
Good point. It's about a positive attitude vs a negative one.

[www.youtube.com]
May 11, 2015 02:34PM
Simply put if you feel a poster is constantly out of line simply don't read or reply to his posts....After a while rejected individuals will move on....
Certainly an excellent forum and hate to see a bad apple or three cause problems...
Anonymous User
May 11, 2015 03:04PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Simply put if you feel a poster is constantly out
> of line simply don't read or reply to his
> posts....After a while rejected individuals will
> move on....
> Certainly an excellent forum and hate to see a bad
> apple or three cause problems...

Not really a problem here but have seen what you are talking about on some major forums. Unfortunately those rejected individuals are often in authority and will not move on but continue to drag a forum down. Good post and records will prove your points.