Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The technical stuff is good

Posted by guvmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The technical stuff is good
May 11, 2015 06:10AM
But anyone in the hobby knows its location, location, location... true knowing how best to use a detector can't hurt but location is number one, you need old land to find old stuff.
Once in a blue moon a vintage coin may show up unexpected but that is the exception not the norm, location first. HH

So when location drys out that's when the technical side comes to play, I have always found more vintage coins on fields hunting dozens of times, especially after a rainstorm best time to get a little extra depth and a larger coil can't hurt.
Re: The technical stuff is good
May 11, 2015 06:31AM
this a all true! you cannot find what isn't there ..you can find tons of good stuff if you hunt in the right location.
as in real estate,it all starts with location,location,location. that said,you can find great stuff with a rudimentary
knowledge of metal detectors,IF you are hunting in a good location.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
May 11, 2015 12:15PM
Good write-up Guv! I have Four criteria called A.C.A.P.

Accessibility-if you don't have access to the land, then nothing else matters

Condition-if it's filled, you are not going to find anything

Age-if's it's new, you won't find old stuff.

Popularity-if nobody hung out there, then you will find very little.

Bey
May 11, 2015 03:20PM
Where I live its all about who you know and where they let you hunt and then when you are on the land near a creek during the gold rush you can always find something at least I do

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 03:21PM by Lawrenzo.
Anonymous User
May 11, 2015 03:33PM
guvmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But anyone in the hobby knows its location,
> location, location... true knowing how best to use
> a detector can't hurt but location is number one,
> you need old land to find old stuff.
> Once in a blue moon a vintage coin may show up
> unexpected but that is the exception not the norm,
> location first. HH
>
> So when location drys out that's when the
> technical side comes to play, I have always found
> more vintage coins on fields hunting dozens of
> times, especially after a rainstorm best time to
> get a little extra depth and a larger coil can't
> hurt.

Good points. Every area is different and there are areas that have not been detected or have been detected very little. If a person is fortunate to live where there is a lot of virgin ground it may be best for them to hunt as much of it in a low key way and by going after the "easy" targets at first. Naturally by being seen detecting a person can draw others out that may not have given it a second thought otherwise. Knowing the law and being able to avoid asking can also help protect one's area. A better detector and/or different techniques will most probably come into play for everyone. Location is number one and those locations should be protected.
May 11, 2015 03:51PM
Interesting points that never came to mind, thanks for the replies. Living in a big city does get to be a challenge finding new spots.
I mainly focus on vintage coin hunting, we have ton's of beach to hunt but just find hunting old fields,parks, demo lots more fun.
HH
May 12, 2015 04:47AM
It's getting tough to find places to hunt where I'm at. I bought an old thick leather bound history book of my county written in 1912. Found it on amazon about 8 years ago. There are a few really old maps in it from the 1830's and 1840's and tons of great info. It shows some old fur trappers cabins on the rivers and some old mill sites and farms sites. The only other copy of this book I've seen is in the library behind a glass case. The problem is everything is built up and what is left in public areas has been banned if owned by the county. I really don't feel comforrtable knocking on doors but occaisionally will ask if I know the owner.

It's mostly beaches and city owned public areas that I hunt these days. Unfortunately what used to be nice safe spots to hunt in the really old areas are now sketchy at best in some of the older towns.

The beaches do turn uo surprisingly old stuff though. Being Lake Michigan has no tide and has been heavily used throughout the last century and a half, the finds are not to deep and tend to stay put for the most part.

Research definately is a must.

hh
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 05:02AM by DirtyJohn.
May 12, 2015 05:41AM
Yes agree with doing more research, I have made clear map templates of older maps and overlayed on top of newer maps to see in a glance if the old parks are still around, been away from hunting awhile but may get back in to it.
A quick and easy fix for finding old coins as many are aware here is, just look for old buildings and try to hunt the front city part street grass strips often yields a few old coins. I never hunt places if the grass is well kept just does not look right no matter how well you recover a target.

Old street maps are a great way to pinpoint the older parks for hunting, but of course they are often filled in over time, we had one old park once it was so productive the hunters grid it and found many great targets. HH (never get tired of this hobby)
May 12, 2015 07:10AM
Like most here new locations are getting slim. This winter I found out about historic aerials dot com. Opened up a lot of older houses that no longer stand...just open corn fields now and you would never know a house was even there.

Research can really help plus IMO it's fun to snoop out these forgotten locations, even better when it helps with older finds.