Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer wins the TRIFECTA!

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer wins the TRIFECTA!
May 11, 2015 03:40PM
We hear the 5" OOR coil "hyped" a lot, so I returned to the spot that I first hunted with my Racer to see for myself.

This spot is an old park like setting that I've hunted with every machine I've owned multiple times over the years (Sovereign, Etrac, F70, F75, Omega, AT Pro, etc), it's a very small spot, no larger then about 50'x75' but has yielded dozens of old silver coins, indian heads, tokens, victorian era jewelry, etc., and I hadn't pulled a silver coin from there in several years, I'd work hard to eek out a green wheatie or an indian head, but that dry spell ended on the Racers maiden voyage where it bagged a merc and a silver war nickle and two green wheaties with the stock 11" DD on Easter weekend.

Yesterday I took the Racer there with the 5" OOR coil, set the sensitivty to 98, and switched between 3 and 2 tone modes to check signals. Now I will say right off the bat that most of these signals were NOT great signals. Had I been at a regular spot, for example like Golden Gate Park, I suspect that I wouldn't have dug several of these signals. But the site I was detecting I know well, and know that any deep non-ferrous signal is generally an old coin, Victorian jewelery, or I've been hoping possibly a gold coin. That said, I had one hell of a morning detecting this place, I do not believe I've ever pulled NINE keepers from this site in one single hunt.

First target was a 1943-S silver war nickle.

Next up, was VERY DEEP, under big tree roots, and the pinpointer finds.....drum roll please A BIG NAIL!! Huh....recanned the hole with the 5" coil inside and I'm still getting a signal....dug further under the tree roots and out pops a semi-key date 1911-S wheatback in excellent condition.

Then around an old tree that's given up the goods in the past, and I thought I'd cleaned out, I got a 1910 V nickle in great condition.

Next I got a mixed signal, not a great signal, but slowly working it I could get it to bounce into the low 80's. I dug down and dug some more, and saw a green disc flash by in my dirt pile, pinpointer finds a green 1916-S teens wheatie :thumbup: I scan the hole again with my pinpointer and I'm still getting a signal, deeper, dug some more and out pops another green teens wheatie, a 1917-S. Cool, mini-coin spill....but wait the pinpointer is still screaming, pulled out one more green teens wheatie, a 1919-S, and rescanned the hole with the ProPointer and I'm still getting a signal, dig a bit more and out pops a 1917 buffalo nickle.

Next signal, again a signal that wasn't awesome, but with slow sweeps I could get a bouncy low 80's TID, and I nailed another V nickle....1907 this time.

The next signal is not a great signal, getting blips into the low 80's, but super bouncy, lots of low tones...I started to move on, and curiosity got the best of me, I went back and found the signal again, dug it, and low and behold buffalo nickle #2 (1921).

Interestingly the Racer tends to upaverage these deep nickles into....you guessed it, the 82 range. Kind of like using 3H tones on the F75 for F75 users. Oh and I'm noticing that the Racer LOVES nickles....be it silver war nickles or any type...which I hope also means it loves gold coins or gold jewelery.

So I can honestly say that the 5" OOR coil may get hyped, BUT it's the real deal, super deep, and it just plain finds the goods, and pinpointing on the 5" coil is spot on, although sometimes I find it not as precise on the 11" DD for some odd reason.

Re: Racer wins the TRIFECTA!
May 11, 2015 03:44PM
Excellent hunt, love those old coins, to be honest I never heard of a Racer until joined this great forum. keep up the good work. HH
May 11, 2015 04:09PM
WTG Brian. Outstanding finds. What setting are you using on the Racer?

El
May 11, 2015 04:17PM
Elbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WTG Brian. Outstanding finds. What setting are you
> using on the Racer?
>
> El

Thanks El. I wanted to get max depth at this site with the 5", so I set the sensitivity to 98 on both 2 & 3 tones, disc was 10, and ground tracking on (although I used ground grab at the start of the hunt). I primarily detected using 3 tones, but when I'd get a really iffy signal, I'd flip between 3 and 2 tones to see if it came in any better on 2 tones. Generally speaking, where I was hunting, I didn't see a lot of difference between 2 and 3 tones, so mostly stuck with 3 tones as it gives me more info.

My goal at this site is to pull out at least one more Barber, or a gold coin, I know they're there smiling smiley
May 11, 2015 05:10PM
Don't you just love spots like that! ,,,,nice old coins...congratz
May 11, 2015 06:43PM
Nice report Brian! First post in awhile to get me considering a racer...as, if this is same spot you have reported on in past, I KNOW you hit it hard, and thats very impressive. Ray
May 11, 2015 07:42PM
You actually described very well to a T how this machine works and finds coins in heavy trash. Very Nice hunt congratulations!
May 11, 2015 07:46PM
deathray Wrote:
> Nice report Brian! First post in awhile to get me
> considering a racer...as, if this is same spot you
> have reported on in past, I KNOW you hit it hard,
> and thats very impressive. Ray

Thanks Ray (and Hombre!).

Ray it's a spot I've hunted probably 30 times over the years. It's the challenge of still finding something there that keeps me coming back, and knowing there are more finds to be made there.

I'm amazed that the Racer found nine old coins in one hunt, I do not believe I've found that many old coins there in a single hunt in the past. What amazes me is that the F75 LTD2, which pulled many coins out over years past, has gone silent there. I guess on my next hunt there I'll try the 15.5" X 13" DD coil to see if it can sniff out anything deep. Heck I don't know, my bag of tricks there is running out smiling smiley
May 11, 2015 07:48PM
Great finds Brian!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 07:48PM by SeabeeRon.
May 11, 2015 08:04PM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
> You actually described very well to a T how this
> machine works and finds coins in heavy trash. Very
> Nice hunt congratulations!

Jack I think this was a paramont learning experience for me on the Racer, because every iffy signal that would bounce into the high 70's/low 80's produced a non-ferrous result - a couple were old school pull tabs, but the rest were coins, and one small button. I was amazed at how deep the 5" coil goes, I dug deepers coins with it then I have with the stock 11" DD coil so far.
May 11, 2015 08:10PM
Brian, do you ever get over to Stockton? I would like to see how the racer/small coil does at Wino park. If it got say, 5 or more coins in that place, I would buy one in a heartbeat. If your not familar with Wino, ask Tom T. about it..his reaction will make ya laugh. You ever wanna give it a try there, pm me. Ray
May 11, 2015 08:13PM
Brian from what I've experienced the blipping of numbers that are what you want them to be TID wise and the audio report saying it's there that it really is trying to give you a correct TID but is reading the other signals around it also. Very good learning experience you had and great digs. The machine doesn't lie very often to the savvy user as you've seen.
May 11, 2015 09:19PM
Nice Haul!!!

And yes the OOR 5 is not hype its proven to be an exact configured combo....I just leave the OOR on the Racer and use it as a TOOL in pounded out hevy iron that's not producing...

That's the Racers strong point...Thats why I was so adamant about it being offered in the PRO Pack ...if you did not get that Coil you would not get to see the Magic..

Good report..

I know your amazement!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 11, 2015 09:29PM
I'm impressed! The old wheaties are in such good shape, too.
Yes, there is something about the Racer, for sure, when you begin digging oldies where finds had dried up before.
WTG!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
May 12, 2015 12:28AM
Wow, Brian. That's saying something when you can pull that many old coins from a small, hard hit spot. Where the blendy tones a help?
May 12, 2015 01:29AM
Two thoughts come to mind.

1. You were digging a lot 'questionable' ID targets...... not knowing they were coins. I speculate on the F75 (with similar coil)...... those 'questionable ID' targets would ALSO be 'questionable' on the F75.

2. There is a certain percentage of targets that the Racer will not see/detect....... yet the F75 will. And.............. there is a certain percentage of targets that the F75 will not see/detect; yet, the Racer will.
May 12, 2015 01:39AM
Bet they were some 82's coming in...

Yes both machines see different ...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 12, 2015 01:42AM
Cal Cobra,
Good report. Great finds as well. Reading your post, I noticed it seemed like many of your finds were just being eeked out with Racer and small OOR coil. I think it's safe to say a coin that is just being eeked out with Racer and small OOR coil, there's a good chance the F75 with small coil will not see the targets. And neither would a Etrac or CTX with small coil either. You had your Racer actually detecting at its edge of separation. The Racer and small OOR coil is a super tool to have in the tool box. I feel strongly a gold coin is in your not to distant future while using your Racer. And etracs and CTXs I feel have left many old nickels in parks and it would only stand to reason they left gold coins behind as well. I look forward to your future reports on the Racer.
May 12, 2015 02:02AM
deathray Wrote:
> Brian, do you ever get over to Stockton? I would
> like to see how the racer/small coil does at Wino
> park. If it got say, 5 or more coins in that
> place, I would buy one in a heartbeat. If your not
> familar with Wino, ask Tom T. about it..his
> reaction will make ya laugh. You ever wanna give
> it a try there, pm me. Ray

Ray I've heard of wino park. Don't get out to Stockton too often (I'm in Sunnyvale), but I'll let you know next time I'm out that way, would definitely be interesting to try it at that park, I know it's an old one!
May 12, 2015 02:03AM
Great finds! I like the v nickels. Sometimes it just takes something new to take a fresh look at a site. I've been hunting a similar sized lot for a couple years with the f75 ltd and a dectorpro headhunter landpro (A 2.5 Khz machine). I got to the point where I thought I pulled every decent find out that was there. I then got the upgrade done and gave the FA process a go. It really opened things up again and I also pulled an old v nickel and other stuff that I mentioned here before. From what everyone has said it sounds like the racer is giving that new look with it's better audio aspects.

hh
John
May 12, 2015 02:06AM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
> Brian from what I've experienced the blipping of
> numbers that are what you want them to be TID wise
> and the audio report saying it's there that it
> really is trying to give you a correct TID but is
> reading the other signals around it also. Very
> good learning experience you had and great digs.
> The machine doesn't lie very often to the savvy
> user as you've seen.

Jack now that I had this experience, it'll be really useful in hunting the old sites I love to detect the most. I have some sites lined up for the fall/winter that aren't detectable now (tall weeds and rock hard ground) that are going to get really interesting with the Racer!
May 12, 2015 02:09AM
Thank you sir! Seeing is believing (and learning), and I'm now a beliver!

I feel there's still plenty to learn about what the Racer can (and cannot) do, that's all part of the fun. It'll be interesting to see how the BIG Racer coil does.

Keith Southern Wrote:
> Nice Haul!!!
>
> And yes the OOR 5 is not hype its proven to be an
> exact configured combo....I just leave the OOR on
> the Racer and use it as a TOOL in pounded out
> hevy iron that's not producing...
>
> That's the Racers strong point...Thats why I was
> so adamant about it being offered in the PRO Pack
> ...if you did not get that Coil you would not get
> to see the Magic..
>
> Good report..
>
> I know your amazement!
>
> Keith
May 12, 2015 02:11AM
Thanks Wayne! Tonight I took a nylon brush to the 1911S wheatie, and she really cleaned up. Something about that site is generally very nice to coins, would be the place to find that 1909S VDB for sure!

HH,
Brian

ncwayne Wrote:
> I'm impressed! The old wheaties are in such good
> shape, too.
> Yes, there is something about the Racer, for sure,
> when you begin digging oldies where finds had
> dried up before.
> WTG!
>
> Wayne
May 12, 2015 02:14AM
Thanks Ozzie!

I don't believe I quite have the blendy tones down yet, but I think I'm getting there.

Don't tell anyone, but I did dig one nail and didn't find anything else in the hole smiling smiley

HH,
Brian

ozzie Wrote:
> Wow, Brian. That's saying something when you can
> pull that many old coins from a small, hard hit
> spot. Where the blendy tones a help?
May 12, 2015 02:23AM
Tom none of these targets were 5 star TID/audio reports, but what they had in common is that although mixed, they would continue to jump into the high 70's low 80's. I suspect that the F75 with the small coil probably would've seen these as well (although it did not are multiple hunts with the 11" DD). My next opportunity to detect there I would like to try the F75 with it's 5" DD coil. I'm contemplating whether it would be better to use BP mode or JE (or even DE) mode with the 5" coil, zero disc, and 99 sensitivity (any thoughts on this?).

I totally agree that, for whatever reason, there are targets that one machine will see that the other will not, and vice versa, that's why I believe the F75 LTD2 and Racer are making a very good combo. They're similar, yet different enough to compliment each other.

Thanks,
Brian

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Two thoughts come to mind.
>
> 1. You were digging a lot 'questionable' ID
> targets...... not knowing they were coins. I
> speculate on the F75 (with similar coil)......
> those 'questionable ID' targets would ALSO be
> 'questionable' on the F75.
>
> 2. There is a certain percentage of targets that
> the Racer will not see/detect....... yet the F75
> will. And.............. there is a certain
> percentage of targets that the F75 will not
> see/detect; yet, the Racer will.
May 12, 2015 02:44AM
The FA mode is on my list of things to try at this site, I bet FA mode with the 5" coil will sniff out some finds.

HH,
Brian

DirtyJohn Wrote:
> Great finds! I like the v nickels. Sometimes it
> just takes something new to take a fresh look at
> a site. I've been hunting a similar sized lot for
> a couple years with the f75 ltd and a dectorpro
> headhunter landpro (A 2.5 Khz machine). I got to
> the point where I thought I pulled every decent
> find out that was there. I then got the upgrade
> done and gave the FA process a go. It really
> opened things up again and I also pulled an old v
> nickel and other stuff that I mentioned here
> before. From what everyone has said it sounds like
> the racer is giving that new look with it's better
> audio aspects.
>
> hh
> John
May 12, 2015 03:21AM
Great hunt with the 5" coil. It's put some nice keepers in my box here as well. Looks like you having a good time with it over that way. Thx for sharing

HH
May 12, 2015 10:26AM
Brian,

I would first try 'bp' mode with the 5" coil..... as this will give the most depth with very good separation.
May 13, 2015 04:59PM
Hi Brian,,,,First off let me say congratulations on a very successful hunt....I'm a little skeptical on your premature conclusion of the small coil on the Racer....I really want it to be true that there is some magical combination at work here because of obvious personal reasons....However being the Doubting Thomas that I am, I must respectfully play the Devil's Advocate here and ask some questions of you.....

"I'd work hard to eek out a green wheatie or an Indian head, but that dry spell ended on the Racers maiden voyage where it bagged a merc and a silver war nickel and two green wheaties with the stock 11" DD on Easter weekend"........Brian is it possible that over the years someone else worked this same area and removed some bottle caps,nails etc. and left some targets that were now unmasked?....

Did you in the past years try to dig these iffy maybe signals?....

In the past did you try any smaller coils on the other machines?....

Did someone finally produce a magical miracle machine????....Personally I don't think so,however I am willing to keep an open mind and open ears, until then I guess the jury's still out on this one.....JJ
May 13, 2015 05:46PM
JJ the last time I hunted this area a month ago, I used my F75 LTD2, in BP mode, 0 disc, 99 sens, 11" DD (which has hunted the same area many, many times before, and got a lot of 1800's and early 1900's silver, etc) and it didn't get anything except iron grunts last month. That hunt I got two silver coins and two green wheaties by going over the same spot immediately after the F75 LTD2 with the Racer and the 11" DD coil.

This spot would be very easy to tell if someone else had detected, and since I hunted it a month ago, nobody has been there, so nobody has stripped out any masking targets. I don't believe anyone hunts this area at all.

Again these were mostly iffy signals, but after getting a couple of them, and finding deep coins, you saw a repeatable pattern in the TID and audio, the TID would blip into the high 70's/low 80's along with high tones (and low tones), these were not 5 star, 4-way signals at all, but after seeing what to look for, it opened the doors to more targets. There's definitely masking going on there that the Racer's small coil is able to get around. Yes in the past I've dug any signal that wasn't soley reporting as iron (heck I even considered digging the iron in hopes of being able to unmask additional targets). I've used the small coil on a couple of other machines with unfavorable results, but not on my F75 LTD2. That probably would be a great test, but I guess I'm not as scientific as some of you, I usually have limited time and I just want to detect smiling smiley The next time I hunt that site, I'll try to take some golf tees with me, go over it with one machine and mark targets, and then the other and mark any new targets, and them compare both machines on their found targets. It would be great to know if the Racer is able to unmask targets that the F75 isn't getting, or vice versa.

IMHO it's like any other detector, you have learn it, try it at your sites in your dirt, and see if it works for you.....so far it's working extremely well for me.

HH,
Brian

jimmyjiver Wrote:
> Hi Brian,,,,First off let me say congratulations
> on a very successful hunt....I'm a little
> skeptical on your premature conclusion of the
> small coil on the Racer....I really want it to be
> true that there is some magical combination at
> work here because of obvious personal
> reasons....However being the Doubting Thomas that
> I am, I must respectfully play the Devil's
> Advocate here and ask some questions of you.....
>
> "I'd work hard to eek out a green wheatie or an
> Indian head, but that dry spell ended on the
> Racers maiden voyage where it bagged a merc and a
> silver war nickel and two green wheaties with the
> stock 11" DD on Easter weekend"........Brian is it
> possible that over the years someone else worked
> this same area and removed some bottle caps,nails
> etc. and left some targets that were now
> unmasked?....
>
> Did you in the past years try to dig these iffy