Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab Go Find or Go Flop?

Posted by Bryannagirl 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Minelab Go Find or Go Flop?
May 13, 2015 05:22AM
From what I have seen the unit is 5 to 6 inches max on depth, icons vs VID numbers, and fixed coil. Not sure this is a winning combination. I do like the way it folds up but another 2 inches in depth would make a lot of difference.

What do you think is this going to be a success or a flop?

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
Re: Minelab Go Find or Go Flop?
May 13, 2015 05:36AM
I wonder about the depth too. I like the new light weight design and am waiting to hear from those who have tried it. Might be nice for an extra detector for some things. I hope it's better than I think it is. Haven't heard any real tests yet. I see it is posted for sale now.

I think it will be a success and hopefully the future high end detector will be light like this.

Rick
May 13, 2015 05:56AM
First time seen that model will check it out, but 5 or 6 inches seems more from an entry level?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 06:02AM by guvmore.
May 13, 2015 07:43AM
none seem to be avaialble yet ,buyers are waiting but orders unfullfilled
May 13, 2015 08:06AM
Check this video out - flop or not? [youtu.be]

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
May 13, 2015 12:55PM
Its supposed to be comparable to an xterra 305 w/a different coil performance wise.
May 13, 2015 01:00PM
It's a flop. Neat idea but not enough depth.
May 13, 2015 01:31PM
The market the are trying to reach is young folks who know nothing about detectors. They announced 2 years ago that the primary sales outlets would be mass market retailers.

Look for it at WalMart, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, Dick's, etc.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
May 13, 2015 02:07PM
Many facets of hobby and lots of hunters only hunt local parks for clad. I think there are enough of them to make the unit profitable....as most targets in this environment are 1 to 3 inches in depth...
May 13, 2015 02:32PM
Tough market -

Whites with lots of advertising, First Texas with 3 brands - Fisher, Tecknetics and Bounty Hunter, all with high performance entry level machines, Tesoro's Compadre and oceans of Chinese junk detectors at rock bottom prices.

Rick Kempf
May 13, 2015 03:30PM
I would say get the 3030 if you want a heavy deep machine

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 13, 2015 04:02PM
big box store push....kids will ask their parents for one, or adults with a bit of interest....
then, they'll take it to the beach or park (they'll find park digging difficult especially the younger kids)....
they'll find a bunch of trash, especially aluminum that sounds good....and get bored (unless they make a lucky find) and into the closet it goes along with numerous
other lightly used impulse items....
May 13, 2015 04:43PM
Hi,,,,Flop, flop, fizz, fizz, oh, what a relief it is......JJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 04:50PM by jimmyjiver.
May 13, 2015 06:04PM
I'm eying the Minelab GoFind 60 and the new Fisher F44 as a machine for my wife. She doesn't hunt much, but if I could find a very lightweight, and easy to use machine for her, she may detect more. What I'm not looking for is a kiddy machine, and I'm starting to believe the GoFind is just that. It's innovative from several aspects, but I'm not crazy about icon only TID.

The Fisher F44 with boost mode is looking a like a decent machine that is not marketed for the kids, and may be a good machine for the wife that she won't outgrow quickly and it might also be a decent backup machine for me:

Weatherproof
Operates on 2 AA batteries
Fe-Tone Adjustable Iron Audio
Ground Grab Computerized Ground Balancing
Manual Ground Balance
9-segment Visual and Numerical TID
Backlight
5 Modes of Operation: Jewerlry, Coin, Artifact, Custom, All Metal
Large 2-Digit Numeric Target-ID Numbers 1-99
Iron Identifier Icon
Pinpoint
Non-volatile memory saves settings
20 levels of adjustable sensitivity and volume
11-inch Triangulated Concentric Elliptical Waterproof Searchcoil
Ultra-lightweight Only 2.3 lbs with 2 AA batteries

I'm assuming it'll sell at $299 from the dealers that discount after the preorder is over.

As both machines are released this month and are around the same price range, I'm looking forward to seeing how the pan out in the field once people start posting their thoughts on them.
May 13, 2015 07:25PM
Go On,... just say it,... you want one!

The design is an answer to the Deus, the performance is equivalent of an Ace.
It talks to your phone.

Finally we see the advent of the I-Tector and the I-tecting community.

HH
Johnb
May 13, 2015 07:38PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What I'm not looking for is a kiddy machine, and
> I'm starting to believe the GoFind is just that.
> It's innovative from several aspects, but I'm not
> crazy about icon only TID.

Yeah, and if your doing icons only, at least use a reasonable amount. The go fins only have four icons which means nickels, pennies, and aluminum trash are all lumped together. And just how does talking to a smart phone help you find things?
May 13, 2015 07:45PM
These are aimed at the buy and forget market. The closets of America are filled with unused metal detectors. These will fill some closets for a new generation to whom the attractive mechanical package and ease of use will appeal.

Sort of Bounty hunter without the stigma of low price!

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 07:48PM by lytle78.
May 13, 2015 07:48PM
coinhunterseth Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What I'm not looking for is a kiddy machine,
> and
> > I'm starting to believe the GoFind is just
> that.
> > It's innovative from several aspects, but I'm
> not
> > crazy about icon only TID.
>
> Yeah, and if your doing icons only, at least use a
> reasonable amount. The go fins only have four
> icons which means nickels, pennies, and aluminum
> trash are all lumped together. And just how does
> talking to a smart phone help you find things?

Unfortunately we'll have to wait and see what the iPhone app brings to the table. I like the idea if it could perform tasks like GPS tag your finds and log your hunt course (like the CTX does) that would be a welcome tool, but if it's simply a gimmic, then that's a different story.

I like the small form factor and folding features, but hopefully it's not a gussied up ACE150.
May 13, 2015 07:56PM
scoopjohnb Wrote:
> Go On,... just say it,... you want one!
>
> The design is an answer to the Deus, the
> performance is equivalent of an Ace.
> It talks to your phone.
>
> Finally we see the advent of the I-Tector and the
> I-tecting community.

maybe they'll come out with an iwatch app so that your watch will vibrate on your wrist when you get over a target....
May 13, 2015 09:17PM
canslawhero Wrote:
> scoopjohnb Wrote:
> -----
> > Go On,... just say it,... you want one!
> >
> > The design is an answer to the Deus, the
> > performance is equivalent of an Ace.
> > It talks to your phone.
> >
> > Finally we see the advent of the I-Tector and
> the
> > I-tecting community.
>
> maybe they'll come out with an iwatch app so that
> your watch will vibrate on your wrist when you get
> over a target....

And I recently went out and bought myself a cheap wrist watch so I could keep track of time while out detecting with the X-terra.
I could have just waited, bought myself a new high price phone, an expensive smarter than me watch and a poor performing detector.

Sometimes you can just kick yourself!

Will it flop? I'm betting not.
Every kid has a phone these days, it's the way they interact with each other in the modern world.
And who doesn't remember their BB gun, boy that was fun. Not a real gun by a long shot.
But we certainly tried our very best to hit those tins on the garden fence!

HH
Johnb
May 14, 2015 02:40AM
Minelab seems to be smart company so will they sell - yes I do believe they will be a big box hit this Christmas. Just like the telescopes you see people buy they try them then stuff them in thier closet till yard sale time.

But as a design I think Flop. Limited icons and limited tones. Not deep - the design I like, would be a great travel detector if it was deeper - had more VID info and was waterproof.

Rumors where it was good at the beach. Well ok show me some videos on the beach.

Last can a phone ap add useful features. Things that would help find targets. All I know is you can listen to music and if it goes over a good target you will hear target tone vs music. Does not sound like how I hunt but my guess is this is not targeted at people like me or even close to me.

I think that in future there is a chance a phone and detector could make a good pair. Just not sure about this pair.

Bryanna - Nebraska

May 14, 2015 03:34PM
In reply to your Q: hit or flop?
Too early to say really but [ canslawhereo ] said it fairly well...

?Rumor has it a bunch of never-held-or-used-or-owned-non-detectorist-marketing-new-staff-at-HQ "created it" and the IPhone app was THE USP of it!! (unique selling point)?

But, truth be told, I'd like one to pop in the backpack!!!
May 14, 2015 03:58PM
If the GF60 and F44 were side by side at Bass Pro which would you buy for $329? Both the same price. Both weight 2.3 pounds. I really have to think as a parent picking between the two would be a no brainer to choose the F44. The only thing that might turn the table is a kid crying over the smart phone machine?..... (If my kid was crying over a detector he would be getting neither!) Even though I've had upper end machines for the last 30 years doesn't mean I don't like a simple lightweight "FUN" machine. I mean I had like 5 - Ace250's and did very well with them. Right now I like the F19 and Atpro for that role. But the new F44 may take that spot? Plus it's half the price! We will see?

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
May 14, 2015 04:34PM
khouse Wrote:
> If the GF60 and F44 were side by side at Bass Pro
> which would you buy for $329? Both the same
> price. Both weight 2.3 pounds. I really have to
> think as a parent picking between the two would be
> a no brainer to choose the F44. The only thing
> that might turn the table is a kid crying over the
> smart phone machine?..... (If my kid was crying
> over a detector he would be getting neither!) Even
> though I've had upper end machines for the last 30
> years doesn't mean I don't like a simple
> lightweight "FUN" machine. I mean I had like 5 -
> Ace250's and did very well with them. Right now I
> like the F19 and Atpro for that role. But the new
> F44 may take that spot? Plus it's half the price!
> We will see?

I think an uninformed parent would go for the Minelab, it just looks cooler, more high tech, has that Transformer look, and it's high tec with the iPhone bit.

Now if the parent knew anything about metal detecting, they would probably go for the F44.....but then again they probably wouldn't be shopping at Bass Pro for a detector smiling smiley
May 14, 2015 06:48PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> khouse Wrote:
> -----
> > If the GF60 and F44 were side by side at Bass
> Pro
> > which would you buy for $329? Both the same
> > price. Both weight 2.3 pounds. I really have to
> > think as a parent picking between the two would
> be
> > a no brainer to choose the F44. The only thing
> > that might turn the table is a kid crying over
> the
> > smart phone machine?..... (If my kid was
> crying
> > over a detector he would be getting neither!)
> Even
> > though I've had upper end machines for the last
> 30
> > years doesn't mean I don't like a simple
> > lightweight "FUN" machine. I mean I had like 5
> -
> > Ace250's and did very well with them. Right now
> I
> > like the F19 and Atpro for that role. But the
> new
> > F44 may take that spot? Plus it's half the
> price!
> > We will see?
>
> I think an uninformed parent would go for the
> Minelab, it just looks cooler, more high tech, has
> that Transformer look, and it's high tec with the
> iPhone bit.
>
> Now if the parent knew anything about metal
> detecting, they would probably go for the
> F44.....but then again they probably wouldn't be
> shopping at Bass Pro for a detector smiling smiley
Your probably right. Or maybe the kid will use his smart phone to make a smart decision?

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
May 15, 2015 03:27PM
"Well, I got the opportunity to handle all the Go's today...

A disappointing build that is more than likely going to result in easy breakages?
Found it hard to draw the arm rest out.
The lower shaft doesn't appear to have any height blocker...it just pulls out and goes back up when the coil hits the floor!!!

But, the display on the 60 [ illuminated ] is class...BRITE and WHITE..

Signal response as seen in several YouTube videos does have that split second lethargic 'non response' when the coil travels across the target!
In other words, the target can [ enter ] into the middle of the coil before generating a 'bleep'...something isn't quite right?
Even the X-Terra has a [ sharper / instantaneous ] 'bleep'...

I'm predicting the 40 will 'bomb' ...why produce 3 models?? No need for it.
All that was required in reality was a single low-cost machine...no need for three of 'em!!"
May 15, 2015 05:47PM
but why would they issue a lame machine thats no good for pros ,when the pros want such a machine with depth and can only give false hopes
May 15, 2015 08:07PM
"They were told 5 to 6 to 7 years ago what people want is AN E TRAC ON A STICK!!!

Come on Minelab...why do you refuse to do that? Just last week I had a conversation with the "Global Product Manager" and [ asked him nicely ] to do a few things for us!"
May 15, 2015 08:16PM
An etrac or CTX, or even both that have looks and feels similar to Fisher F75. An old park hunter's delight. Or plug and play electronics and you pick your stick. For the life of me I can't figure out why a detecting company can't see how much of a boom such a setup would be. Surely someone will wake up and smell the coffee.
May 15, 2015 08:32PM
diggers Wrote:
> but why would they issue a lame machine thats no
> good for pros ,when the pros want such a machine
> with depth and can only give false hopes

I can remember what the Minelab guy on the phone said: "the response time is just brilliant". He knew it was a lie, because he had a hard time not to laugh as he said that. Listen to it at exact 54:33 when he says: "you will see very very quick response times" : [www.youtube.com]
That was just pathetic. Especially when you see this garbage of a product now. What a shame.