Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XP Goldmaxx 9" coil ear repair

Posted by Tom B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
XP Goldmaxx 9" coil ear repair
May 17, 2015 03:50PM
Hi Folks,

Been a while since I posted on NASA Tom's forum, great forum and lots of intelligent info. I need some assistance, a good friend sold me his XP Goldmaxx MK1 with 4 coils and the stock 9" coil has the top part of the ears broke. Does anyone know of someone who can do a nice looking professional repair on the ears of the coil.

I thought about doing the repair my self, but I would rather have someone that can make it look professional.

This is a story of good Karma, I traded this same detector to this friend 7 years ago and just got it back yesterday. I took it on a short hunt yesterday and I am still impressed with this old school detector. Right now I have the stock coil, Ultimate coil, elliptical coil and concentric coil. I have used lots of detectors including two Deuses, but this Goldy is one cool old detector that can ger-er-done.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom B
Re: XP Goldmaxx 9" coil ear repair
May 17, 2015 08:41PM
Hello Tom,

I can repair the coil for you.

HH, Paul
May 17, 2015 08:47PM
This has come up on a UK forum. Surprisingly, you CAN obtain empty coil shells via XP dealers. You then cut out the ears & surrounding region from the shell, remove the ears from the damaged coil, and bond on the new ears.

Edit: here ya go:
[www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk]
"Regtons" are Birmingham MD dealers:
[regton.com]

I'm not sure what glue Tomo used, but I think the coil case is probably ABS, so it's worth trying dedicated ABS cement, often sold for bonding pipes, such as plumbing fixtures. You can always test out glues on the unused section of the empty shell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2015 08:56PM by Pimento.
May 17, 2015 10:53PM
Hi Paul, sent you an email.

Thanks

Tom B
May 18, 2015 05:20PM
Check the contents of the glue used to be sure it won't interfere with the workings of the coil......matter of fact a call to the company might be in order rel the bonding as they know the makeup of the coil itself....