Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Myrtle Beach 1st timer

Posted by Blinky 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Myrtle Beach 1st timer
July 18, 2010 06:46PM
Hello everyone. I have been lurking for the past few weeks, and have gotten Tom's Beach and relic video, and the Coin hunt one is in the mail. Have only been detecting for a month now, and have nothing that would be exciting to report to you all yet.

Question: Wife and I are driving down to Myrtle Beach from Ontario, will be stopping at Watkins Glen for two days and then heading down. We are just going to hit motels and B&B's for our trip. I see the beach is very long, could some one suggest an area to set up camp near, either the north or south ends or the middle etc ?

I have a new 1280x (bought it before I found this site!) and will be bringing it with me. Have to be able to say "oh yeah, I detected the US East Coast". There is a chance I am going to pick up an Omega 8000 before we go, but might just have the one MD to use while there for our very short stay.

Appreciate any advice you can throw my way. This is a great site.

Rog
Re: Myrtle Beach 1st timer
July 18, 2010 11:33PM
You are in for a real treat. I too am from Ontario and was in Myrtle Beach in March. US coins, unlike Canadian coins target ID properly and consistently. You will find lots of coins and jewelry but best of all it is a beautiful beach to enjoy! We always stay at the Caribbean Resort which is in the busy area (even in March). There is a great campsite (state park) on the beach not far south of there. If you like quiet, go to the North area. Have fun! Remember, pull tabs and gold rings will register in the same range. I helped a lady find her wedding set on the beach, nice when you can help someone that way.

Robert
July 20, 2010 12:58AM
I live 3.5 hrs from MB and go once a month and have gone there since the early 60's. Horry County can be a strange place to detect IMHO. I believe the city of MB doesnt allow MDing on beaches in peak season or anytime. Schools have fences and are locked. They are kind enough to post where its not allowed. I go to beaches just south, Surfside, Garden City but have gone to North MB and Ocean Drive. It is really packed there in summer and has a huge golf season so finding a room for short stays might require some effort to find. Its one city beach after another with something for everyone. Lots to find on the beaches you can hunt though. Hope this helps.
July 20, 2010 02:51AM
Wow, thanks for the head's up. Maybe I will phone ahead for lodgings. It never dawned on me that detecting might be restricted at the beach.