Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MXT vs Racer

Posted by Bryannagirl 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
MXT vs Racer
May 18, 2015 01:41AM
OK not really looking for a head to head but it seems from using both that the Racer coil for coil seems to be as good as and maybe a bit better then MXT - The Racer also has better blending of audio and is lighter. The one place where for me the Racer lost is in my next door garbage dump / junk yard disguised as an open lot. The Racer struggled but for some reason I can pick out targets in the good range (not to be confused with a good targets) that I was not able to do with Racer - this was with a 5x10 and 6x8 SEF coils on MXT vs 5 inch coil on Racer.

After watching Keith's video showing the 5x10 coil on Racer - which I will have soon, by the way, thanks to Kevin B - the Racer may even compete well in prospecting against the MXT as well - that 5X10 hit pretty hard on some pretty small nuggets.

Anyway other thoughts.

There is something about the MXT that is hard to give up. I am not sure the Junk Yard lot is my normal hunting ground but was surprised how much trouble the Racer had in that lot - but in a trashy park it shined.

By the way the T2 handles that Junk Yard Lot better then Racer as well - on T2 two tone non boosted and single tone modulated did pretty well. Almost but not quite as good as MXT.

I think it is the size of the Junk and amount of red brick that is giving the Racer the challenge - there is some very large junk 12 inches or more down that somehow the Racer is seeing that the MXT and T2 do not so they are able to separate and find targets in that under twelve range where the Racer is sounding off on the deep large stuff - thats my guess not sure if that is what is happening or not.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
Re: MXT vs Racer
May 18, 2015 01:56AM
Sounds like you're running your gain too high. In the trashiest of sites a gain setting of 39 will work. Also a manual GB will most likely yield better results. And 3 tone with the small OOR coil seems to produce for me. A real separator with very nuanced audio.

IMO Racer with small OOR coil will hunt behind anything else currently out there, the CoRe with small OOR coil is very similar and may be the only exception.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 02:01AM by tnsharpshooter.
May 18, 2015 02:02AM
I did drop my gain - not sure I went as low as 39. Will have to take her back out for a spin and turn the gain way down. I was using the 5 inch coil. Have not put the 11 inch on yet because so far the 5 is deep enough for the sites I am hunting. But I have some spots the 11 will be my coil of choice for sure.

tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like you're running your gain too high. In
> the trashiest of sites a gain setting of 39 will
> work. Also a manual GB will most likely yield
> better results. And 3 tone with the small OOR
> coil seems to produce for me. A real separator
> with very nuanced audio.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
May 18, 2015 02:06AM
Don't give up on the MXT Pro Bryanna, eventually you'll see it as the better machine between the two for your type of hunting.

Especially up in mineralized soil, MTX will stomp all over the Racer. Plus, no comparison between the two as nugget hunters again MXT Prospecting mod is untouchable between the two when the soil gets tough.

Recently, picked up an MXT Pro. My first after owning several of the older MXT models. Love the new Grab feature must have up in gold country, the Racer is a toy compared with the MXT.

Paul ( Ca)
May 18, 2015 02:25AM
Bryanna,
What did the mineral graph look like when pumping the coil of your Racer?? BTW not scientific but it seems with the small coil the graph will read 1-2 segments low on actial mineral vs stock coil. Your T2 and Racer with stock coils should be almost carbon copies in the depth dept with stock coils attached, with the small coils your Racer may edge the T2 just a smidge (all this from a tonal perspective). One thing though your T2 is more likely to show TID (be it accurate/ or not so accurate) at deeper depths than the Racer.

Using the Racer especially with small OOR coil, the tone's duration is a tell all. Nice short and sweet=dig me. Long and drawn out-full tone=junk. I'm sure there could be an exception but so far this is what I've seen. And I dug some of the longer full tone targets in areas with good detecting find history. They were all junk. And this works for 3 tone. It kinda does in 2 tone but it seems to me it takes a more trained ear. I don't know exactly what's happening in 3 tone but its audio tells more of a targets makeup.

You'll also notice you are less likely to get tone and no TID when operating in 3 tone. Running 2 tone getting tone without TID is more likely on the deeper targets.

You keep using/experimenting/testing you will eventually find a target with Racer with small coil that the MXT and T2 both with small coils cannot see. And you can bet the farm when you dig such a target you'll notice something else, maybe a lot of other metallic things in the hole with your prize.
May 18, 2015 02:39AM
Bryanna,
Some interesting info from a previous thread/post.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
May 18, 2015 02:49AM
Bryannagirl Wrote:
> I did drop my gain - not sure I went as low as 39.
> Will have to take her back out for a spin and
> turn the gain way down. I was using the 5 inch
> coil. Have not put the 11 inch on yet because so
> far the 5 is deep enough for the sites I am
> hunting. But I have some spots the 11 will be my
> coil of choice for sure.
>
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sounds like you're running your gain too high.
> In
> > the trashiest of sites a gain setting of 39
> will
> > work. Also a manual GB will most likely yield
> > better results. And 3 tone with the small OOR
> > coil seems to produce for me. A real separator
> > with very nuanced audio.

I tried out a racer among other detectorist for at least 30 hrs and was not impressed with racers ability to properly ID targets from trash especially targets co located together.
Check out Daniel Tn opinion on racer as it mimics mine.
Racer is ergonomic,light easy to see display but is a medium performance detector IMO.
I haven't used a mxt in years but from what I recall they weren't a machine to be discounted.
People now have Racer's in the field and where did all post about unbelievable performance go?
IMO Makro should've had more units available at release before the hype got discounted by real life users in the field.
May 18, 2015 04:33AM
Tnsharpshooter I agree 100%. In many trashy areas I've run the Gain at 01. Even at the minimum it will still detect cents at 4 to 5" with the small 5" coil. I too have had the MXT, MXT Pro, and M6 and I feel the Racer will run circles around all three of them in high trash areas using the 5" coil. In Arizona ghost towns I'm running the gain between 10 - 20 but items are not very deep and often just under the surface due to the lack of vegetation.
May 18, 2015 04:52AM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> Tnsharpshooter I agree 100%. In many trashy areas
> I've run the Gain at 01. Even at the minimum it
> will still detect cents at 4 to 5" with the small
> 5" coil. I too have had the MXT, MXT Pro, and M6
> and I feel the Racer will run circles around all
> three of them in high trash areas using the 5"
> coil. In Arizona ghost towns I'm running the gain
> between 10 - 20 but items are not very deep and
> often just under the surface due to the lack of
> vegetation.

How much modern junk is in Arizona ghost towns?
Iron / nails and bottle tops are too different animals.
Racer with 5 in coil do fine in nails as good maybe better that At-pro in iron mode with sharpshooter coil
But modern stuff just skews the whole platform- Id and audio
Take a dime lay it on clean ground and lay a cereal box flat on it and set some modern small metal around not over the dime and your results will be astonishing and try this backwards with dime on top with small trash under box but not directly under dime
Move your targets away from each other as much as 2/3 inches
You've now experienced the downfall of the racer - it's not iron
May 18, 2015 05:00AM
My Racer with small OOR coil aint going nowhere. I've run all the flagship units except I guess the ones from Russia, the XP Gold maxx, and Blisstool. In the worst of trash/iron/nails the Racer with small OOR coil rocks. I don't care about the naysayers, I care more about my finds pouch. Done used the CoRe with small coil in some hard hunted sites, moreso than the Racer because of the time of year (no weeds) and pulled some nice finds in hard hunted sites. It's a tool for the ole tool box. An easy simple tool to use too. Pretty EMI friendly as well. While the others are adjusting all their knobs and pushing buttons to get ready to hunt I'll already be hunting. The unit has its place.
May 18, 2015 11:39AM
Like I said there is something about the MXT that is hard to give up. I think the detector that will be looking for another home is T2 - but I like it also.

Still have not hunted my deep silver park with any of these yet. T2 in boost, Racer and 11 inch and MXT Pro with 13 inch. Park has trash but nothing like a normal park so at this park depth on Silver is what I will want.

Old California Wrote:
> Don't give up on the MXT Pro Bryanna, eventually
> you'll see it as the better machine between the
> two for your type of hunting.
>
> Especially up in mineralized soil, MTX will stomp
> all over the Racer. Plus, no comparison between
> the two as nugget hunters again MXT Prospecting
> mod is untouchable between the two when the soil
> gets tough.
>
> Recently, picked up an MXT Pro. My first after
> owning several of the older MXT models. Love the
> new Grab feature must have up in gold country, the
> Racer is a toy compared with the MXT.
>
> Paul ( Ca)

Bryanna - Nebraska

May 18, 2015 12:13PM
Think mineral was about a quarter but I am sure it got higher at times lots of iron rich red brick at this sight some still intact others pulverized into red dirt. It really is a horrible place to hunt for anything - but I love a challenge I know there is a nice coin or some cool relic in there some where. It is a 2 minute walk from my hose so if I am bored and just do not want to drive to a real park I walk over and see what I can find and more important what I can learn.

tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Bryanna,
> What did the mineral graph look like when pumping
> the coil of your Racer?? BTW not scientific but
> it seems with the small coil the graph will read
> 1-2 segments low on actial mineral vs stock coil.
> Your T2 and Racer with stock coils should be
> almost carbon copies in the depth dept with stock
> coils attached, with the small coils your Racer
> may edge the T2 just a smidge (all this from a
> tonal perspective). One thing though your T2 is
> more likely to show TID (be it accurate/ or not so
> accurate) at deeper depths than the Racer.
>
> Using the Racer especially with small OOR coil,
> the tone's duration is a tell all. Nice short and
> sweet=dig me. Long and drawn out-full tone=junk.
> I'm sure there could be an exception but so far
> this is what I've seen. And I dug some of the
> longer full tone targets in areas with good
> detecting find history. They were all junk. And
> this works for 3 tone. It kinda does in 2 tone
> but it seems to me it takes a more trained ear. I
> don't know exactly what's happening in 3 tone but
> its audio tells more of a targets makeup.
>
> You'll also notice you are less likely to get tone
> and no TID when operating in 3 tone. Running 2
> tone getting tone without TID is more likely on
> the deeper targets.
>
> You keep using/experimenting/testing you will
> eventually find a target with Racer with small
> coil that the MXT and T2 both with small coils
> cannot see. And you can bet the farm when you dig
> such a target you'll notice something else, maybe
> a lot of other metallic things in the hole with
> your prize.

Bryanna - Nebraska

May 18, 2015 12:25PM
Sounds good Bryanna. I've done the same thing. I have kept going back to sites that were supposedly dry. Only to experiment and learn a detector. I think that's where a lot of folks make their mistake. Take a new to them detector to a virgin or not so hard hunted site. The detector produces and they think they've a good handle on it or is the best thing since sliced bread.

I've said right here on this forum. Any detector use is better than none at all, regardless of the site. It helps keep your eyes and ears tuned, also helps with toning the body muscles.
May 18, 2015 12:49PM
Took my Racer with the 5" coil to a park full of MODERN trash. Ran the gain at 01 and pulled 106 coins. My buddy with his MXT and small coil pulled 18. We tested them side by side on a few targets and some of those the MXT couldn't see at all. I guess my Racer doesn't work in modern trash.
May 18, 2015 03:24PM
so lower gain small coil and how much disc...sometimes I use more then 10 maybe up to about 23 or so don't lose depth in trash and GB I would find a clean area and then recheck it other then that the racer should kick ass and the 5x10 to me has better seperation

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 18, 2015 04:34PM
Awful big gap. Did your buddy know how to use the MXT?

Don't get sideways its just a question.

Tom Slick Wrote:
> Took my Racer with the 5" coil to a park full of
> MODERN trash. Ran the gain at 01 and pulled 106
> coins. My buddy with his MXT and small coil pulled
> 18. We tested them side by side on a few targets
> and some of those the MXT couldn't see at all. I
> guess my Racer doesn't work in modern trash.
May 18, 2015 04:36PM
Hello Bryanna,

If its deep park silver you're after, then all of these machines we're taking about are not the best suited for these conditions. You need a Minelab, Used Explorer XS are the best choice for beginners and can be found around $400 bucks.

Other models (SE/explorer 11) are under $500, Only have a long learning curve, yes if you're after deep park silver nothing else comes close to a Minelab.

Racer, T2, MXT and other fast processing VLF are best suited for relic hunting. Any of the Minelab models will get you the deep silver from parks, that's what serious deep turf hunters use.

Paul
May 18, 2015 04:40PM
Silver master Wrote:

> Take a dime lay it on clean ground and lay a
> cereal box flat on it and set some modern small
> metal around not over the dime and your results
> will be astonishing and try this backwards with
> dime on top with small trash under box but not
> directly under dime
> Move your targets away from each other as much as
> 2/3 inches
> You've now experienced the downfall of the racer -
> it's not iron

This is a down fall of all metal detectors in general. Three dimensional trash is why more targets are masked than detected. It's even worse in ground.
May 18, 2015 05:26PM
Owned a Safari and a Sovereign hunted primarily by sound with both. The main issue is in any location with iron they null a lot. The king of the silver finding at this park was a CZ3D. A person on this sight was killing it. I checked some of his hits with my Safari and Later Sovereign and most of those signals I got would of had me walking. The coins are 10 plus inches - we both felt if we could only get one more inch the silver fountain would open up. A T2 or F75 in Boost are deep. So the theory goes get the extra inch and see what comes. The ground is not bad so all of these should have no issue getting to their max potential with installed coils.

P.S. I love the minelab sounds. The sovereign sang such a sweet song on silver she just did not find as much as I hoped. But I am sure part of that was me.

Old California Wrote:
> Hello Bryanna,
>
> If its deep park silver you're after, then all of
> these machines we're taking about are not the best
> suited for these conditions. You need a Minelab,
> Used Explorer XS are the best choice for beginners
> and can be found around $400 bucks.
>
> Other models (SE/explorer 11) are under $500, Only
> have a long learning curve, yes if you're after
> deep park silver nothing else comes close to a
> Minelab.
>
> Racer, T2, MXT and other fast processing VLF are
> best suited for relic hunting. Any of the Minelab
> models will get you the deep silver from parks,
> that's what serious deep turf hunters use.
>
> Paul

Bryanna - Nebraska

May 18, 2015 06:09PM
Some of you crack me up. The bad part is, they are being serious and not trying to be funny. So defensive over a little metal detector. Reminds me of a child when they get a new favorite toy and wont let any others have it. Protect it at all cost. But soon, it is tossed onto the floor and forgotten. Replaced by the newest toy.
May 18, 2015 07:01PM
Bryannagirl Wrote:
> Owned a Safari and a Sovereign hunted primarily by
> sound with both. The main issue is in any location
> with iron they null a lot. The king of the silver
> finding at this park was a CZ3D. A person on this
> sight was killing it. I checked some of his hits
> with my Safari and Later Sovereign and most of
> those signals I got would of had me walking. The
> coins are 10 plus inches - we both felt if we
> could only get one more inch the silver fountain
> would open up. A T2 or F75 in Boost are deep. So
> the theory goes get the extra inch and see what
> comes. The ground is not bad so all of these
> should have no issue getting to their max
> potential with installed coils.
>
> P.S. I love the minelab sounds. The sovereign
> sang such a sweet song on silver she just did not
> find as much as I hoped. But I am sure part of
> that was me.
>
> Old California Wrote:
> -----
> > Hello Bryanna,
> >
> > If its deep park silver you're after, then all
> of
> > these machines we're taking about are not the
> best
> > suited for these conditions. You need a
> Minelab,
> > Used Explorer XS are the best choice for
> beginners
> > and can be found around $400 bucks.
> >
> > Other models (SE/explorer 11) are under $500,
> Only
> > have a long learning curve, yes if you're
> after
> > deep park silver nothing else comes close to a
> > Minelab.
> >
> > Racer, T2, MXT and other fast processing VLF
> are
> > best suited for relic hunting. Any of the
> Minelab
> > models will get you the deep silver from parks,
> > that's what serious deep turf hunters use.
> >
> > Paul

The issue w/the safari is it only runs in conductive sounds I believe. Get one of the explorer/etracs/ctx and run them in ferrous w/an open screen. They dont go silent and can punch down and baaang on a silver coin in trash with a tight coil where the high freq machines aren't so sure of themselves on the high conductors.
May 18, 2015 08:23PM
I have heard the XS did pretty good on deep silver maybe even better then it's replacements. I have seen them pretty resonable - maybe I should trade my t2 for a nice explorer maybe some relic Hunter has one and wants to trade. smiling smiley

deadlift Wrote:
> Bryannagirl Wrote:
> -----
> > Owned a Safari and a Sovereign hunted primarily
> by
> > sound with both. The main issue is in any
> location
> > with iron they null a lot. The king of the
> silver
> > finding at this park was a CZ3D. A person on
> this
> > sight was killing it. I checked some of his
> hits
> > with my Safari and Later Sovereign and most of
> > those signals I got would of had me walking.
> The
> > coins are 10 plus inches - we both felt if we
> > could only get one more inch the silver
> fountain
> > would open up. A T2 or F75 in Boost are deep.
> So
> > the theory goes get the extra inch and see what
> > comes. The ground is not bad so all of these
> > should have no issue getting to their max
> > potential with installed coils.
> >
> > P.S. I love the minelab sounds. The sovereign
> > sang such a sweet song on silver she just did
> not
> > find as much as I hoped. But I am sure part of
> > that was me.
> >
> > Old California Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Hello Bryanna,
> > >
> > > If its deep park silver you're after, then
> all
> > of
> > > these machines we're taking about are not the
> > best
> > > suited for these conditions. You need a
> > Minelab,
> > > Used Explorer XS are the best choice for
> > beginners
> > > and can be found around $400 bucks.
> > >
> > > Other models (SE/explorer 11) are under $500,
> > Only
> > > have a long learning curve, yes if you're
> > after
> > > deep park silver nothing else comes close to
> a
> > > Minelab.
> > >
> > > Racer, T2, MXT and other fast processing VLF
> > are
> > > best suited for relic hunting. Any of the
> > Minelab
> > > models will get you the deep silver from
> parks,
> > > that's what serious deep turf hunters use.
> > >
> > > Paul
>
>
>
> The issue w/the safari is it only runs in
> conductive sounds I believe. Get one of the
> explorer/etracs/ctx and run them in ferrous w/an
> open screen. They dont go silent and can punch
> down and baaang on a silver coin in trash with a
> tight coil where the high freq machines aren't so
> sure of themselves on the high conductors.

Bryanna - Nebraska

May 18, 2015 11:15PM
Silver master Wrote:

> Iron / nails and bottle tops are too different
> animals.

You said it!

> But modern stuff just skews the whole platform- Id
> and audio
> Take a dime lay it on clean ground and lay a
> cereal box flat on it and set some modern small
> metal around not over the dime and your results
> will be astonishing

I just tried this with my CoRe and stock coil. Very eye opening indeed. Every beaver tail and pull tab was the only item picked up by the machine, and the dime gave no TID or tone that warranted "dig me". The only thing that still picked THRU to the clad dime was the rusty cap on top of the cereal box. The dime and the iron GRUNT took turns.

But even with the dime INSIDE the bottle cap, the unit gave the high pitched tone, even under the box. BUT...the TID would be lowered many sweeps, or give the correct TID and lower TID intermingled, ie, 42, 84,17,64, etc
....VERY INTERESTING INDEED.

and try this backwards with
> dime on top with small trash under box but not
> directly under dime
> Move your targets away from each other as much as
> 2/3 inches
> You've now experienced the downfall of the racer -
> it's not iron

When I kept the dime on top, and the beaver tails, pull tabs, and even iron bottle top, under the box and dime... the dime came thru loud and clear. Even when pulled higher away from the box.
May 19, 2015 01:18AM
bubbadirect Wrote:
> Silver master Wrote:
> -----
>
> > Iron / nails and bottle tops are too different
> > animals.
>
>
> You said it!
>
>
> > But modern stuff just skews the whole platform-
> Id
> > and audio
> > Take a dime lay it on clean ground and lay a
> > cereal box flat on it and set some modern small
> > metal around not over the dime and your results
> > will be astonishing
>
> I just tried this with my CoRe and stock coil.
> Very eye opening indeed. Every beaver tail and
> pull tab was the only item picked up by the
> machine, and the dime gave no TID or tone that
> warranted "dig me". The only thing that still
> picked THRU to the clad dime was the rusty cap on
> top of the cereal box. The dime and the iron GRUNT
> took turns.
>
> But even with the dime INSIDE the bottle cap, the
> unit gave the high pitched tone, even under the
> box. BUT...the TID would be lowered many sweeps,
> or give the correct TID and lower TID
> intermingled, ie, 42, 84,17,64, etc
> ....VERY INTERESTING INDEED.
>
> and try this backwards with
> > dime on top with small trash under box but not
> > directly under dime
> > Move your targets away from each other as much
> as
> > 2/3 inches
> > You've now experienced the downfall of the racer
> -
> > it's not iron
>
> When I kept the dime on top, and the beaver tails,
> pull tabs, and even iron bottle top, under the box
> and dime... the dime came thru loud and clear.
> Even when pulled higher away from the box.

Do you have another machine with small coil to try that test on?
At pro or F2 or something similar?
Are you convinced of the racers unmasking ability?
May 19, 2015 01:50AM
Seems funny comments from some who don't or have not owned a Racer or CoRe. What's even more eye opening is the great success a lot are having vs the lackluster performance others seem to have. What I do see is some that don't hunt with their ears at all. You're the ones really missing out imo fwiw. If you're digging lot's of trash you haven't arrived yet with the Turk machines. Lot's of people think it's ok to dig 50 trash targets to get 10 good ones with some machines. They're the ones with TID all over the place or just plain love aluminum. Well performance is the key, some don't know how to unlock it or apply it right it seems. If you want a machine that goes "bong" 1957 quarter, mmm dropped in 1961, mmm dropped by Johnny the coin dropper, mmm Johnny was drunk, mmm and had a fight with his girlfriend just before dropping this quarter. Ain't gonna happen............ However there's a lot of info obviously that some have missed that the turk machines convey to the detectorist using them.
May 19, 2015 02:15AM
Well tones take time. You swing you hear you dig and now you have to remember what you heard. Sometimes you remember right sometimes not. I think videos of your hunt may help you can listen and connect to target. With time it gets better. Some learn faster others slower. Some are tone deaf. I picked up on minelab pretty fast but still had issues picking out trash. Practice practice practice.

Bryanna - Nebraska

May 20, 2015 11:06AM
If i was going to hunt for deep silver in the parks,and if i had the money i would go for the e-trac.Some say that the e-trac go deeper than the explorer .E -trac has the ttf and explorers dont have this.i had an explorer se for three years and had to sell it.what i didnt really like about the mine labs was the weight of the machine.
May 20, 2015 11:50AM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> Took my Racer with the 5" coil to a park full of
> MODERN trash. Ran the gain at 01 and pulled 106
> coins. My buddy with his MXT and small coil pulled
> 18. We tested them side by side on a few targets
> and some of those the MXT couldn't see at all. I
> guess my Racer doesn't work in modern trash.

CLAD??
May 20, 2015 12:03PM
Bryanna, you had the best deep silver machine of all time, in my oponion. Sovereign or an explorer. You just didnt learn the nuances of it. Not being a jerk, I was there too...ask Paul. Used to call him up, frustrated, ready to wrap the darn thing around a tree. Paul would try to explain what to listen for and to slow down. Finally, comparing signals a buddy got with explorer, it all clicked. Yes, if theres thick iron, its not good choice. But nulling in a park situation never stopped me from making finds with it. And using a 12 inch Sunray, really got it down there. 8 inch coinsearch, great coil too.
May 20, 2015 04:48PM
I remember Ray, but it didn't take long for you to get the Sov dialed in and that you did making great finds from trashy Stockton parks. Before then, Sov was king for deep park silver, this was before the Eplorer, and before we had a decent meter.

At the Sov's beginning, we didn't use meters and hunted by sound. We new by audio alone when it was a deep coin, hands down Sov was the best detector out there for deep turf coins.

Later, SunRay came out with a meter then the resistor kits for the 550 meter converting them to 180. With either one of these meters, Sovereign was more deadly untouchable for deep coins. Funny, we never noticed how slow the Sov was seemed ok recovery speed wise, we didn't notice these things back then.

Sov still has its place, still have mine smiling smiley