Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Am I the only one here with no success using the small Core coil?

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Am I the only one here with no success using the small Core coil?
May 18, 2015 04:59PM
Hunted a historic area today. Dozens of wine bottle twist on caps later, my grand total of good finds is just 3 clad Dimes in a small coin spill.

I submit the Explorer reigns supreme in trashy parks.

Tried digging 'iffy" signals. Always trash. A surprising amount of trash in the 84-90 TID...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 05:26PM by Detectorist.
Re: Am I the only one here with no success using the small Core coil?
May 18, 2015 05:24PM
Detectorist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hunted a historic area today. Dozens of wine
> bottle twist on caps later, my grand total of good
> finds is just 3 clad Dimes.
>
> I submit the Explorer reigns supreme in trashy
> parks.
>
> Tried digging 'iffy" signals. Always trash. A
> surprising amount of trash in the 84-90 TID...

That's exactly my experience with the racer!
If you want to see something else interesting
Air test a silver quarter v/s a clad quarter and do the same with dimes.
Then get a couple of like crown caps and air test.
Please post your findings!

I'm not commenting on racer but will make eye opening suggestions!
I'm not insinuating that all these targets will ID the same!
May 18, 2015 05:25PM
Silver master Wrote:
> Detectorist Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hunted a historic area today. Dozens of wine
> > bottle twist on caps later, my grand total of
> good
> > finds is just 3 clad Dimes.
> >
> > I submit the Explorer reigns supreme in trashy
> > parks.
> >
> > Tried digging 'iffy" signals. Always trash. A
> > surprising amount of trash in the 84-90 TID...
>
> That's exactly my experience with the racer!
> If you want to see something else interesting
> Air test a silver quarter v/s a clad quarter and
> do the same with dimes.
> Then get a couple of like crown caps and air
> test.
> Please post your findings!
>
> I'm not commenting on racer but will make eye
> opening suggestions!
> I'm not insinuating that all these targets will ID
> the same!

The TID numbers need to be expanded.
May 18, 2015 05:35PM
Clad killer should be the name of the Racer. I don't hunt clad. I don't want to dig clad. I got a Racer that I am going to lose my butt on. Serves me right.
May 18, 2015 06:03PM
That's why I sold the Racer and got me a CTX 3030. The racer is a good detector but, I am not a clad coin hunter. I am a old coin hunter and depth is what I need. Am very pleased with the CTX. I took it over to the park where I used the Racer and am finding much deeper and old coins and a lot less trash. The Racer is great in trash and iron sites but, I;m also finding old coins in these same sites with the CTX. For my type of hunting it was a smart move for me. If I need something that is fast I still have my XP Deus. Can't wait for the new down load up date to come out. Love both detectors.
May 18, 2015 06:28PM
smiling smiley

I tried to give ya'll a heads up but everybody had to see for themselves I guess. Be careful though. Some get downright hostile and defensive over the matter.
May 18, 2015 06:59PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> smiling smiley
>
> I tried to give ya'll a heads up but everybody had
> to see for themselves I guess. Be careful though.
> Some get downright hostile and defensive over the
> matter.

I think someone called me a N word!
Not the N word but a N word!

Naysayer Hmmmmmm
Should I be offended?

Look people never purchase anything based on forum hype!
Never purchase anything based on YouTube videos that show a test Taylored to a machine!
May 18, 2015 07:31PM
Mccrorysjewelry2 Wrote:
> That's why I sold the Racer and got me a CTX 3030.
> The racer is a good detector but, I am not a clad
> coin hunter. I am a old coin hunter and depth is
> what I need. Am very pleased with the CTX. I took
> it over to the park where I used the Racer and am
> finding much deeper and old coins and a lot less
> trash. The Racer is great in trash and iron sites
> but, I;m also finding old coins in these same
> sites with the CTX. For my type of hunting it was
> a smart move for me. If I need something that is
> fast I still have my XP Deus. Can't wait for the
> new down load up date to come out. Love both
> detectors.

The CTX is 2.5 times the price of the Core. I did see a test where the Core could find a coin under a nail where the CTX couldn't. I'm not ready to give up. This was a tough test for any detector.
May 18, 2015 07:47PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> smiling smiley
>
> I tried to give ya'll a heads up but everybody had
> to see for themselves I guess. Be careful though.
> Some get downright hostile and defensive over the
> matter.

The problem is that as long as I've seen you on the forums (since you were 17) you have changed detectors as frequently as I change underwear. Besides, you are mostly a relic hunter in bad ground. I like it all.
May 18, 2015 08:02PM
Detectorist,
Sounds like maybe you learned something with the iffy signals. Your Racer is a tool just like any other detector. It has strengths and weaknesses just like any other detector. Racer strength is it's simple to operate/setup and separates very well. The separation thing is the thing to key on; especially when hunting hard hunted sites. Go to where the trash/iron/nails are the thickest/worst. There is not a one does all detector out there. I wish there was but not true. The tone when operating in 3 tone is key to not digging trash-not the screen numbers per se.

I swept the dimes in the pic below with 4 detectors- F75LTD2, Racer, CTX, Deus at a distance of around 4 inches laying face up on clean ground. A ground balance was achieved on all detectors but CTX.
The dimes are 1876 seated, 1942, 1954, and a 2012 clad dime.

Multiple sweeps were done and VDI # recorded.
Results

Deus in basic one program VDIs not normalized.

F75LTD2 Bp 0 disc sens 99

CTX ferrous coin process
1876.............12-40
1942..............12-44
1954...............12-45
2012................12-43

Racer

Notice the wear on the seated dime. And notice the lower readings all detectors gave. This lower reading on the worn seated may have been the reason I found it in a hard hunted site. Others depending on what detector they were using may have got more of a clad penny screen reading; hence they passed. Remember the audio on the Racer in 3 tone.

May 18, 2015 09:30PM
The CTX is 2.5 times the price of the Core. I did see a test where the Core could find a coin under a nail where the CTX couldn't. I'm not ready to give up. This was a tough test for any detector.

This is true but, I have been finding coins in holes that have iron in them every where. I just know I am finding more deeper and older coins and digging less trash with the CTX 3030 than I did with the Racer. With the Racer I would come home with a handful of clad coins that were 3 to 4 inches deep. Now I'm coming home with wheats, Indians, and silver coins that were 7 inches plus.
May 18, 2015 09:32PM
I use the Racer with small coil In CERTAIN sites to find more...but visual I.D. accuracy is not importnat in those sites..

Ferrous Vs non ferrous tonal report intermingled is what's important .. there it will shine...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 18, 2015 10:00PM
That's why you rarely see me raving over a machine. The only ones I have stuck with are the pulse machines. My GPX ain't goin anywhere unless I get out of the hobby or have to sell something in an emergency situation. It does what I need for bad soil and relics. But not for trashy sites or homesites. I always have interest in VLF machines for that purpose. I don't get freebie machines so my only way of testing them is to buy them myself. I figured out a long time ago that a man really can't go by what people post on the forums. So testing them myself is the way I go about it. If you have noticed, my pattern has always been that I give more negative points about what machines cannot do. The reason for that is because there is an abundance of folks who only cover the good and high points but leave out the low points. I want to know both.
May 18, 2015 10:15PM
If I keep my Racer for very much longer......I will be breaking records. I will have usually sold a unit by now (since I first purchased the Racer) but I am finding some pretty good stuff (bullets and stuff.....and a silver rosie dime). I am starting to try and teach myself about the 5 inch coil. But no, for me, with the 5 inch coil, I am not having the same level of success that some here are enjoying. No matter......I'll just keep playing. It's just a hobby anyway. Still, when using the 5 inch coil......I find myself digging more old square nails than I care to admit. And the nail gives a good hi tone, and then I go 90 degrees of the target and I swing and get a good hi tone there, also. I dig. Square nail. But I'm going to keep trying to learn it. The 5 inch coil is a deep little feller. It deserves a good attempt by me to learn it better. But who knows......by tomorrow......I might try something else. Because it's all fun. Plus, I enjoy this forum and the feedback......both good......and bad. I make alot of my purchasing decisions after reading this forum primarily.
Happy Detection to all of you. I hope that this is a banner year for finds for ya. Sincerely......kevin
May 18, 2015 10:19PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> I use the Racer with small coil In CERTAIN sites
> to find more...but visual I.D. accuracy is not
> importnat in those sites..
>
> Ferrous Vs non ferrous tonal report intermingled
> is what's important .. there it will shine...
>
> Keith

I need to find the nails. There was a CW camp on this large site. It's been hit hard.
May 18, 2015 10:36PM
Between work and helping my parents enter a retirement home I just am not getting to hunt. I have my Racer listed cheep to get rid of it, but to be honest I am at a loss on what detector to invest into next. I had my eye on an Excal, but it looks like water hunting will be minimal this year as well. If the Racer sells it sells, but I could just as easily stick it in the closet until I get time to hunt.
May 18, 2015 10:54PM
goodmore Wrote:
> Between work and helping my parents enter a
> retirement home I just am not getting to hunt. I
> have my Racer listed cheep to get rid of it, but
> to be honest I am at a loss on what detector to
> invest into next. I had my eye on an Excal, but it
> looks like water hunting will be minimal this year
> as well. If the Racer sells it sells, but I could
> just as easily stick it in the closet until I get
> time to hunt.

You have a Deus, why invest in anything else. Get a Garrett AT for occasional water hunting and be happy.
May 19, 2015 01:34AM
I had a couple people lead me in the direction of the AT Pro but I didn't listen. I followed my gut and went with the Racer. I have no regrets so far. I have not even put the small coil on yet as I wanted to learn the stock coil first. When my lower rod comes in, I will switch and hit some park areas that I have determined would be good candidates for the OOR.

I set a goal to find some gold this year and with the Racer it only took two weeks! My first gold ring came out of the hole at 6", 2.8g, 14k.

I for one will keep my Racer.
May 19, 2015 02:56AM
The other day I was hunting a trahsy area with the 11" coil got a target in the upper 80s turned out to be an Indian head Penny 1897...long time since I found one of those. But I didn't buy the racer for coins but for relic hunting and it's does a great job and I think the 5x10 will be the way to go..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 19, 2015 04:46AM
I kinda figured it out, when the only pics posted was of piles of dirty clad. The f-19 has been treating me great on the relics.It doesnt hit silver that great, but did pop out a 1833 bust dime the other day. Waiting to see what the gold racer brings to the table.
May 19, 2015 05:31AM
deathray Wrote:
> I kinda figured it out, when the only pics posted
> was of piles of dirty clad. The f-19 has been
> treating me great on the relics.It doesnt hit
> silver that great, but did pop out a 1833 bust
> dime the other day. Waiting to see what the gold
> racer brings to the table.

Pretty much my sentiments also Ray!----Except as good as my F-19 is---it hasn't found me a 1833 bust dime smiling smiley---congrats.
May 19, 2015 03:40PM
Ray time for a shoot out the F19/Racer see you at high noon bring your cowboy boots...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!