Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Title of this story is "1st BSA camp hunt" OR "Good deed goes rewarded"

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Title of this story is "1st BSA camp hunt" OR "Good deed goes rewarded"
May 18, 2015 06:04PM
I always wanted to do some charity work. The charity was fixing up a boy scout camp for the summer. My soul purpose was to do something good. I went to the meeting at work and there was my metal detecting buddy sitting there too. After the meeting, he said to me, "which detector are you gonna take". Now it didnt even occur to me to take one. So I took two, just in case.

We got to the camp and i volunteered to split wood for fires. The ranger came by and i asked some general questions. Then my buddy jumps in and asks about metal detecting the property. Long story short, we get the green light.

We hit an area and come out with 22 silvers 1st day and the next time we go up we leave with about 16 silvers. I think the place was hit pretty hard as most targets were iffy and some appeared as clad. Here is a detailed tally on my stuff:

Barber half 1899(first Barber ever)
Walker 1918 S(first walker ever)-This was a pocket spill with two standings(funny story as I found a standing and covered the hole. Went back 40 mins later and hit the walker, covered the hole. Went for a drink checked the hole 30 mins later and there was another Standing in there. All three were on their sides).
Barber quarter 1914
4 standing liberties no date D, 2x 1920's, and a sharp 1925
2x barber dimes
a bunch of mercs and two roosies 1946 and 1952
a V
5 buffs
50 wheaties(combined).

2 silver rings

OF NOTE: My buddy got a honker silver cross its huge at least an oz of silver., Two Washingtons and a standing

Lots of clad.

The artifacts we turned in.

Now to me, this is as virgin a site i may ever get to do. IMO there should of been alot more Washingtons, halves, and roosies. No silver nickels either. All in all, It felt good to help out. The detecting was just a bonus.

PS I used the CTX 3030 as I wanted to use the detector I know blind folded. I didnt want to be slowed by learning. My plan is to take the v3i and see what the ctx and AT pro missed.

Bey
Re: Title of this story is "1st BSA camp hunt" OR "Good deed goes rewarded"
May 18, 2015 10:49PM
WoW! Exciting.............No neckerchief slides?
May 18, 2015 11:22PM
Reading the story last year I ran into a Ranger in a flea market and struck up a conversation..Just looked in my wallet and still have his card. I was given the green light to hunt early and late when scouts were not in. Unfortunately was hit with wifes medical problems and never hit the camp...Bet your boots if things improve may get in a hunt or two.
Thanks for the story and wake up call as imagine this camp is old and may have a silver or three...
May 18, 2015 11:50PM
Sounds like great time...and good for you helping out the Kids...

Yes like Ozzie said where the neckerchief slides...

Ive hunted those boyscout sites and have dozens of those things...there everywhere on those sites...literally..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 19, 2015 03:26AM
We turned them in we found like three of them.

bey