Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Non Destructive Recovery

Posted by gambler13 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Non Destructive Recovery
July 19, 2010 05:54AM
So in the beginning you show the non destructive recovery technique where you take out a fairly large plug. I understand that in the video actual hunting segment the ground and area aren't pristine but you use that same method except it seems that sometimes you go around but leave the flap. Wouldn't that be a better method anyway. To dig a large enough area so as not to kill the grass roots in a small area but also to leave a flap to help in preventing the grass from dying. What technique do you readers and followers of this forum use the most?
Jeb
Re: Non Destructive Recovery
July 19, 2010 12:10PM
A three sided cut and lift flap.
July 19, 2010 02:02PM
I use Tom's approach and at times what Jeb does as well...

The key thing I try to remember is to dig DEEP-To save and keep intact the original grass roots...
doing this the turf will "rehab" much faster AND there will be little if anything to show that
you were ever threre.
July 19, 2010 02:06PM
SilverPeter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use Tom's approach and at times what Jeb does as
> well...
>
> The key thing I try to remember is to dig DEEP-To
> save and keep intact the original grass roots...
> doing this the turf will "rehab" much faster AND
> there will be little if anything to show that
> you were ever threre.

Oh and one more thing.... I never place the dirt I remove from the hole on the ground...
ALWAYS use some sort of small DROP CLOTH to place your dirt on and gently
fill back into your hole when your done.... (As per the Youtube video Tom has out)

Leave No Evidence.... That you were ever there...
July 19, 2010 08:19PM
Three-sided flap is the best choice if possible. I was deliberately showing (close to) worst-case scenario. Yes, in the actual video during a real hunt.......that type of soil (sand) would not hold together.
July 20, 2010 11:11AM
Had to chime in here quickly. I understand completely the reason Tom utilized the non destructive recover technique that he does....BUT...it'd be a hard sell for any of the places I hunt. Purely preception, but there'd be alot of raised eyebrows if I was MD'ng carrying around a garden spade and digging plugs the size of dinner plates. I've personally had great success digging plugs approx. 4" - 5" in diameter with no damage to the turf...the key is to dig a DEEP plug of at least 5" - 6"....more shallow and you've only succeeded in "scalping" the turf which will leave tell-tale brown patches a day or so afterwards. This becomes an even bigger problem when the ground is dry.

That being said...if I were in a non-park setting...spade all the way.
July 20, 2010 09:57PM
Once again........"prudence" is paramount.......as far as 'where-to' utilize this type/size of shovel. I do NOT use it at all of my sites..... but a fair amount..........enough to feel the 'need' to provide a demonstration.