Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Omega at hunted out site smiling smiley

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Omega at hunted out site smiling smiley
July 19, 2010 11:57PM
I have a spot that I've been hunting for a while. I first hit it with my F70 and Sovereign, and aside from a few shallow wheatbacks, I didn't find anything of interest. Then I picked up a CZ70 and it was like virgin territory. My first couple of hunts there I got several barber dimes, mercs, silver rosies, a SLQ, Victorian jewelery, Indian heads, a handful of teens wheatbacks, etc. I couldn't believe it, not sure how the Sovereign and the F70 missed these, but the CZ70 was pulling these coins up from depths of 7-8" with ease. Within a couple of months of getting my CZ70, I picked up the F75 LTD. I took it the my spot and again was pulling out barber dimes, mercs, silver rosies, Victorian jewelery, Indian heads, teens wheatbacks, etc. The quantity quickly diminished, but for quite a while I was able to pull some nice coins from this spot.

Then the finds started to dwindle, maybe a couple of early wheats per hunt, an occasional Indian head, V-nickle or buffalo nickle, but no silver for about five or six consecutive hunts. I'd still hit it when I'd go by it in hopes of finding one more barber, merc or Indian or perhaps the allusive 1909S-VDB wheatback (and this would be a great spot to find one, the copper comes out in GREAT shape). Interestingly the ground here had always been kept fairly moist to wet when I'd hunted it, but then a few months ago I hit it and the ground was bone dry. I was using my F75 LTD and in the course of about 45 minutes I pulled three mercs, a token, and a dozen early wheatbacks (six were in a pocket spill). I couldn't believe it, as I'd almost written it of for producing more silver (although in my heart I always knew there was more silver there, probably much more, either masked or possibly deeper). The next hunt I really dug the iffy/fringe targets, and it produced a sole barber dime and a little 10K gold child's or men's signet ring that was really iffy, bouncing from high iron to foil on the LTD. I had combed the area very thoroughly in disc mode on the F75 LTD (it's a small area, about 20'x60') and figured I'd probably about got everything I could get without going into all metal mode and digging every iron signal in hopes of finding the masked targets.

Last week I decided to try my Omega with the 11" DD at this spot. I didn't honestly expect to find too much with it. The ground was bone dry again, and the temp was over 100F so I kept my hunts short. The Omega ran rock solid at 99 sensitivity and I'm finding that I like 4-tones, it seems to do a good job replicating the CZ70's 4-tones, especially when it gets a deep silver or copper coin with it's faint audio ping, much like the CZ70 does when it hits a deep silver coin (it's music to my ears). The first hunt was impressive. The Omega scored an old buckle (not sure how the CZ70 and LTD missed that?), and 1920, 1927 & 1942 wheatbacks, plus an 1906 Indian. All the wheats and the IH were 7-8" deep. Although not stellar finds in themselves, I was pretty happy with them considering how hard I've hit this little area with some of Fishers best, and deepest machines. A few days later I returned, and my first target was a 1917 wheatback, nice! Then a few minutes later I got that faint ping, it was fairly repeatable 4-ways, and I figured I had another wheaback (if I recall correctly it was hitting in the 80's on the TID). I dug down, and at 8" deep I saw the back of a silver coin with that oh so familiar wreath design staring back at me in the bottom of the hole. I was stoked, another barber comes to life from this spot (a 1911S w/full Liberty to be exact)!! I managed to dig three more newer wheatbacks, and closed the day out with one more silver, a 1944S merc. The musket ball and flattened bullet also came from here.

So a hunted out site, hunted with the Omega, in the course of an hour and a half (two 45 minute hunts) produced seven wheatbacks, an Indian head, a Barber dime and a Mercury dime, not bad at all for a hunted out site and a midline metal detector :thumbup:

A couple of observations on the Omega - even at 99 sensitivity it's much more of a "silent search" machine then the LTD, no more chatter, clicks, chirps and pops, for the most part it only sounds off when there's actually a legit target under the coil, I LIKE THIS!! Even thought the F75 LTD and Omega have a similar physical layout, I actually find the Omega is more comfortable to swing for longer periods of time AND the angle of the screen is perfect (it's not on the LTD, I'm always twisting it around to see the display). The more I use the Omega, the more I like it's modulated audio. The one knock I'd have to give it is the depth meter seems to be a mess. From what I can see, the Omega seems to be just as capable as my CZ70 and my F75 LTD for coin shooting, although I'm not sure how deep MY Omega will go yet on say a silver dime (so far 8" has been the deepest, but I don't know if my coil's been over one deeper yet). If FT would add a trigger, backlight and BOOST mode to the Omega, they'd have the perfect machine :poke:

The next time I hunt this spot, I'll try the 10" elliptical concentric stock coil and see how she does, and if I can get a deal on a 5" DD I'll give that a shot as well.

Without further ado, here's my Omega finds from my hunted out site:

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting,
Brian
Re: Omega at hunted out site smiling smiley
July 20, 2010 02:09AM
Brian...I think you just proved no matter what, a site isn't truely 'hunted out'. Could it be the bone dry ground actually brought out some of those targets. I know wet ground is supposed to improve the hunting based on enhancing conductivity, but maybe the dry ground did something.

Nice finds, and glad to see you were pulling things out of there with the CZ !

Keep us posted if you do go back to that site with the 5 inch DD. Wonder what targets it will sniff out.
July 20, 2010 02:38AM
Wow!

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
July 20, 2010 04:43AM
Dry ground is better for hunting around iron, as the halo from the iron will be reduced, helping to unmask co-located targets. I found this when I re-hunted this spot with the F75 LTD when it was dry. I found three mercs, and even recovered wheat backs in the same hole as rusty nails in the same spots I'd covered several times before with my F75 LTD and CZ70 when the ground wasn't dry. I do think deeper targets light up better in wet ground, provided they're not co-located with iron.

I'd love to see some demo work at this site smiling smiley
July 20, 2010 12:54PM
Amazing!! Great story and info!!
July 20, 2010 10:10PM
Great story and great photo!