Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

As you read posts and replies, you realize some things...

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
As you read posts and replies, you realize some things...
May 20, 2015 01:39PM
You realize what kind of detectorists some detectorists are. Not saying anything bad about anything or anyone mind you. Detecting is an equation of multiple things, hints, nuances, eyes and ears. Some things or parts of the equation are much harder for some to pick up, some just click right away, some not so fast to realize seems. As you read hundreds of posts and replies you can see maybe one, maybe several parts of the equation are missing for some. Some just plain ignore the obvious parts of the equation that will make them very successful in their quest. There's not a recipe for success that fit's all. However there are skills to be embraced with every, any, and all machines. Every machine I've ever had was a learning curve that really, never ended, until the day it departed my hands. In the beginning it was quick schooling and as I learned what "the machine" was telling me, not what I was trying to tell the machine. Then the schooling episodes/lessons as you use a certain machine over time slows a lot as you realize you have had this lesson before. Then the rarity of that once in a while lesson moves you along a little further. The common thing I see is haste in wanting to "make" a machine work. Don't think that's gonna happen until you put the puzzle/equation or most of it together.

Detectors used
Nokta FoRs CoRe, Makro R1, Makro R2X2, ETrac, 3030, Compadre, several others.
Obama put this country in the toilet, vote for Hilderbeast and she'll pull the handle
Re: As you read posts and replies, you realize some things...
May 20, 2015 02:07PM
Well said.
When we hear of a person saying that they hunted with someone and their machine was finding targets that the other wasn't finding, that can mean a variety of things. The better machine combined with the more experienced operator will bring the best results. Neither one by themselves will have the same effect. Those that have/take the time to learn their machine will be more successful as a general rule. Location is a big factor too. If a person has less experience such as being new to detecting I think they need to make sure they are not missing the "easier" targets by trying to learn too fast. The more experienced hunter will not miss those easier targets by being able to get the harder ones. The less experienced hunter can miss those easier targets by concentrating too much on the harder ones.
May 20, 2015 03:21PM
Very well said Jack
May 20, 2015 04:25PM
You raise a good point Jack. The zen of detecting is real.
May 20, 2015 04:46PM
Very good points you stated Jack.
May 20, 2015 04:58PM
All know is we have a bunch of very sharp detectorists on this forum and can sure help you master your new unit and along the way offer some good tips..
Of course the posts are just guidelines and its up to the individual to do the time in the field...
May 20, 2015 05:20PM
Very good post Jack, And Dan is right it's up to the individual to do the time in the field good words of wisdom Dan.

Well said,
Paul
May 20, 2015 07:00PM
It still comes down to location, you can't find vintage if land is modern,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then knowing your machine is second in the equation..
May 20, 2015 08:24PM
A nice piece Jack.

Metal detecting is either a hobby or sport for most of us. No one should ever look down on someone because of which detector they use or what they find. Some of the best finds have been made with lesser performing detectors. A lot of folks come to this forum not only to discuss or keep current on metal detecting and gear but for help and advice. I try wholeheartedly to give true honest advice to the best of my ability when folks ask questions about detectors I have a full working knowledge of. It seems some are looking for the silver bullet of a metal detector. Guess what?? Probably won't ever happen. What do you reckon folks would pay for a detector if all you had to do is power on and it would find silver coins at 12" deep at an efficiency rate of say 80% or more??? You reckon $10,000??
I think so and some would even mortgage property to buy too. Same with the detector that could do similar performance in distinguishing pull tabs/foil and identify gold jewelry.

And yes when we all went to school, did we see faster learners vs some??? I did. There are other hobbies/sports that some folks just seem to meld with and pick up fast, while others have to work at it to do or compete, and yes there is some no matter how much practice/work/dedication they never figure out how to do even at a mediocre/satisfactory level.

This is undoubtedly the best metal detecting forum on the face of the earth that I know of. I think anyone with a legitimate question about detecting can get a good/great answer right here on this forum. I'm sure some of the newer detectorist have found some posts/threads a bit scary at first, most of us realize some of the info is pretty technical with some bigger words used. It's all good though and detectorists of all levels of experience can learn something.

I will close with one thought. I've only been detecting 5 years. I've read no telling how many post/threads. This coupled with my limited detecting experience has made me a better person as well as a better detectorist. I've met some great people and talked on the phone with some as a result of my visiting this forum. Tom 41 is a real nice fellow. I have dealt with 2 others with detector sales, again a great experience. And then Mr Flynn. We've talked numerous times. He's a solid guy/father and grandfather. I unfortunately don't have any children but the time it seems Jack spends with his children and grandchildren is without a doubt far more important than any metal detector PERIOD. Life is short, play hard. But more importantly don't forget or neglect your family. None of us knows what tomorrow brings.
May 20, 2015 10:01PM
tnsharpshooter - "I've only been detecting 5 years"

you had me fooled sir (with respect)

the knowledge you have gained and passed on to fellow detectorists around the world is absolutely amazing

your posts are helpful, refreshing, knowledgable and as I have found very accurate and for that I have become one of your number 1 serial stalkers when it comes to information on similar equipment

These things aside sir, what I can truely say why I read your posts with eyes wide open is the fact that you do not detract from the points you make in your posts even under the most trying times - i.e. I vividely remember when the Racer was coming out and the absolute crap you took from members from the unfriendly metal detecting forum - Personal attacks & abuse from memory, yet you stood firm, stated your findings on the new unit - Many months later those exact findings are being experienced by the new Racer owners worldwide, yet those members that originally hyped up the shite regarding that product have all gone quiet and still contribute sweet FA on that friendly forum -

I still frequent there for a chuckle every now & then however I know if I want sound advise, this is the place to be

Thank you tnss for you being who you are - I just wish you were within driving distance & I would shout you a cold one
May 20, 2015 11:03PM
This is one great post Jack!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
May 21, 2015 12:23AM
I have been detecting on and off for the last 40 years. I have tried many detectors in that time. But still not as many as some here on this forum. I don't claim to know it all and I do enjoy learning. With that being said I can usually tell if I am going to like a metal detector fairly quickly. Some are too heavy like the CTX. Some are too complicated for me like the V3i. And some it just comes down to performance. Every metal detector will find targets. But finding that one detector that speaks to you personally or performs in a way that it is vital to your arsenal doesn't require endless hours of testing and usage. Take the Racer for instance. In my personal opinion it is good in the iron fields. But the target ID is terrible. It up averages targets and blends too many targets into a few VDI numbers. That doesn't require weeks of testing to figure out. It took me a few hunts. I also came to my own opinion that the depth of the detector while holding a reliable target ID is poor. To many hits with no ID at all. A detector that holds no value in my arsenal. Evaluated quickly and personally compared to other detectors I currently value more. Can a person learn more by continuing to use a detector? Absolutely!
May 21, 2015 02:41AM
Some just plain ignore the obvious parts of the equation that will make them very successful in their quest.

In respect to the "haste" in wanting to get the best setting for their machine ... and the missing ingredients to better performance ... I believe there are four factors that are deadly to future growth as detectorists:

1) The problem of the growth-stunted lemming: using only the recommended program/setup, you know the one that 'everyone' uses because everyone recommends it (because everyone uses it). You can't learn how to use your detector until you venture off the reservation and begin turning the dials in weird and unexplored ways. Where would Jimi Hendrix have been if he hadn't deviated from his guitar's owner's manual. Once you get comfortable with the basics then move on and experiment, each failure will be a learning experience.

2) The problem of the untested assumption, or believing 'ol wives tales as fact: you read somewhere that someone uses some secret hidden 'trick' setting and got extra performance and depth ... so now you're convinced it's working for you because you've found a dime you're sure you would've missed if you hadn't used that special setting. Well, when you believe in something you don't understand, then you suffer (Stevie Wonder was right!) The detecting world is chock full of nonsense presented as fact ... untested, unproven, and unwarranted adjustments taken as gospel are no better than fearing a black cat because it walked in front of you ... superstition is no substitute for a knowledgeable and reasoned deduction (followed by further testing).

3) The problem of the anecdotal proof ... a synonym for an invalid test result meant to sway the reader: you read about that new Model 9000 detector in the detector magazine; how it found a bunch of coins in that "worked out site" that had been "hit hard" and "wasn't producing", yet the Model 9000 was able to "make the old site like new" again. So, you got real excited and bought it based on an unscientific, uncontrolled, unreliable assessment of detector performance ... that played on your emotion like a fiddle. If you want to be more successful then you have to think for yourself ... you are not allowed to be hyped by anecdotal articles of successful achievements. But the article said he tested the 9000 at the local "cleaned out" park and found a silver dime at about 10" in mineralized, iron strewn soil full of junk - he rated this machine as phenomenal", why shouldn't I buy it? Because the Ace 150 could also have found the same dime ... a better test would have tried to ascertain the dime with its competition ... if the Model 9000 was the only one capable of locating the dime ... then you something approaching a true test (assuming detector and user variables are controlled - which isn't easy.) So, look for the better designed side-by-side tests that control for most variables and provide some hope of accuracy - they are few and far between in the land of emotional copy. There needs to be more honest evaluations of detector qualities and less detector recommendation based on untrustworthy assessments of performance.

4) The problem of the brand loyal detectorist ...“nothing beats my Garrett GTI with 'Treasure Vision' ... I found a silver dime at 10" with it so I only use Garrett machines" error: In the same vein as experimenting with detector settings not in the manual and performing your own detector tests to determine what works from what doesn't, we have the requirement to experiment with different detectors and manufactures ... there can be no loyalty...if it works better, use it. How do you know you have the best detector for you unless you know what else is out there? Anyone who reloads ammunition knows that to get the most accurate load there is a constant tinkering with different powder types and combinations of variables ... same with any hobby, assuming you want to learn and improve. You have to break away from the trap of doing the same thing the same way (and expecting different results.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 02:43AM by Johnnyanglo.
May 21, 2015 02:55AM
Amazing thread. I'm new but not really new. I tend to buy and sell machines like my iPhone. All I can add to this conversation is that the "best" detectorists I meet are so much more. They are amateur historians. Coin collectors. Bottle collectors. Antique buffs. It's people who look at their change all the time to see if somehow a silver coin got in there. I see the types who watch a show and get excited, buy a machine and dig lots of trash and quit. Then I see people who dig lots of trash but then think about what that trash is telling them, research the area and find out the trash was a picnic area 40 years ago. That's cool to me. I got into the hobby originally to find treasure. Those ads back in the day really excited me. Then I met people who saved their clad and bought coin sets. Stuff like that is awesome. Anyhow I'm babbling. Great forum. Great people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 04:07AM by sir736.
Good points.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 03:06AM by Kemper.