Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom - Got your DVD and my CZ-3D yesterday

Posted by JeffNS 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom - Got your DVD and my CZ-3D yesterday
July 20, 2010 11:38AM
I received my DVD from you yesterday and also had my CZ-3D (serial# 10210441) delivered at the same time...Christmas in July!

I watched your DVD with great interest and have to say that it would certainly have helped me out when I had first started metal detecting earlier this year and I'd highly recommend it to any individuals just entering the hobby.

I understand you were using a CZ-3D for most the DVD and was wondering what mode you were hunting in during the Real World Hunt. I'm assuming because of the amount of iron present that you may have been using Normal mode as opposed to Enhanced mode but that's just an assumption on my part.

I performed a quick airtest on the CZ-3D using a clad dime and it appears to be fairly consistently picking the target up at distances of between 10" & 11". Keep in mind that I performed the airtest inside my home in the presence of lord knows how much EMI...although the CZ3D didn't chatter at all...unlike my F4 which would have been chirping like a bird on steroids. I know that the airtest is not a valid test to ascertain the CZ-3D's id capabilities but I"m curious....when airtesting a clad nickel, is it usual for the CZ-3D to ID as a square pull tab in Enhanced and Salt mode? It will be interesting to see how the ground matrix affects the units ID capabilities. I'm used to digging pull tabs so it's not the end of the world but it would a real treat to start hauling in clad nickels that read high-tone in the nickel range.

The tones on the CZ-3D are much more descriptive than they are on my F4 which doesn't have much if any deviation in any given tone. I think with time logged on the CZ-3D this is going to be a huge plus. Ground balance was a breeze...strangely enough...or not...the suggested preset of 5 for GB is exactly where it balances on the ground in my yard. I found 4 pennies in 5 minutes that I missed with my F4 and my Tesoro Compadre units and I've hunted that particular area at least 50 times already....very shallow at 2" so I'm curious as to why the CZ-3D picked 'em up and my other units did not...perhaps the CZ-3D resolves more efficiently in the presence of iron or other ferrous metals??

Lot's to learn with the CZ-3D and I'm looking forward to getting out for my first real hunt with it. I'm going to start by hitting all of my previously hunted areas to see what I've been missing with my other units.

Thanks for the DVD Tom and keep up the good work.
Re: Tom - Got your DVD and my CZ-3D yesterday
July 20, 2010 10:05PM
Jeff,

You are in for a good surprise ....... when you re-hunt all of your older sites with this CZ-3D. ---Are you using a Can nickel for your 'square tab' results?--- The 3D should ID U.S. nickels as 'nickel' or.....a few of them as 'round tab' in an air-test. Silver WWII nickels can ID as 'square tab'. Glad you like both Christmas presents.......and....it sounds like you have a good CZ-3D.
July 21, 2010 12:45AM
Tom,

I used a US nickel...which ID'd as round tab in my airtest...my mistake. Got out again in my yard for about an hour this evening after work just to get more aquainted with the tones. Keep in mind I've hunted my yard to death several times over. I noticed while listening to all of the tones...0 Disc...I was able to pick out good targets from amongst the iron quite effectively. I dug 20 pennies...none older than 1972 which is when my house was built...and none at more than 2" What was interesting to me was that I had missed these targets when I hunted previously. Part of this may be because the CZ3D resolved good targets more effectively in the presence of iron than the F4 or Compadre and/or it could be because I've watched your DVD and have started to slow my swing down a bit. In any case, I enjoyed trying to pick out good targets and only dug 3 trash items out of 23 targets recovered.

Haven't had a chance to ascertain the depth capabilities of the CZ3D yet but I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised. It will be interesting to see what goodies lay beneath previously hunted areas and how effectively I'll be able to find them amongst the trash by slowing things down and taking advantage of the nuances of the tones that the CZ3D provides.

You ever notice an echo like/sonar type sound from a CZ3D. Sort of a hollow sounding high tone...I believe it's iron falsing of some kind...very interesting sound nonetheless.

Gonna have to pick up a copy of your Beach Hunting DVD soon. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Nova Scotia, but we're surrounded by coastline and have some of the most beautiful beaches on the North Eastern seaboard. I've hunted one popular beach very sporadically and wasn't able to identify a line on the beach which provided any targets but am going to be paying very close attention to the tide charts and will look for that magic negative tide delta....just missed one on Sunday...negative 5ft. I'll examine the beach more closely and will look for the more supportive sand areas as well. I know for a fact that there aren't alot of hard core hunters on these beaches other than a handful of Ace250 users...who suprisingly have posted some nice jewellry finds...even from the salt. That being said...if an ACE250 can find jewellry in the wet salt sand I sure as heck hope the CZ3D will perform even better and find targets beyond their units capabilities.

So much information to absorb. Glad you've got a place like this to share information...absolutely the best CZ resource on the web.

Thanks Tom.
July 21, 2010 10:00PM
Yes, iron will give a 'hollow' sounding high-tone ping............sometimes. It is usually a elongated sound. I'm happy.........yet concerned........as to why you are find SO many shallow coins....... that no other detector/hunt could find. The CZ is a very distinct/clear audio report on coins.........but not to the point of finding so many more coins as you are finding. But.........still glad that it is working so well for you. ((( Your nickel window might be slightly out of alignment ))).
July 22, 2010 12:54AM
Tom. Is it possible that the shallow pennies I was finding were masked to the point of "undetectability" by my F4 and that CZ3D handles these types of situations better? I think a more probable explanation is that I deliberately slowed my swing speed as compared to how quickly I had been swinging my F4.

PM me if you have an opportunity and let me know if you are willing to perform a "tune-up" this winter for me and the approximate cost. I'll leave it the way it is for the rest of the digging season here but wouldn't mind at all sending the box down to you for a tuning. If I do...would ya autograph it for me? :-)

Not sure a tuning would help improve the "nickel window" anyway to be honest. Remember...I'm in Canada so Canadian nickels may not ID accurately if tuned for a US nickel window. Not sure how composition compares for pre 2000 era nickels or other coins. Post 2000 Cdn. coins are a real mess...steel cores...Imagine! Modern coins aren't mine or most other detectorists objective but it sure would be nice to be able to cherry pick 10yrs of clad accurately without digging iron too.

Got out this evening for an hour at a heavily hunted high school soccer field. School was built in mid 1950's. I've only witnessed one silver quarter being harvested from that field. I hunted very methodically...swinging slowly...keeping coil in contact with the turf. Only managed to cover a very small area...perhaps 1/16th of the field. I did dig a 1964 Cdn. Nickel which provided a clear high-tone. Didn't look at the meter. Depth was 7". Dug another 1980 nickel that was very discoloured..almost red...which gave mid tone and registered as round pull tab. One thing I noticed was that if the signa was "iffy" it was junk consistently...also discovered the high/low bounce which as you've indicated on your DVD tend to be nails and sure enough...rusty nail. Foil registered as foil. Dime ID'd accurately as did pennies. I even dug a 2006 Cdn. Quarter which strangely enough gave a high-tone...even though it had a steel core!!?? Perhaps the CZ3D was able to pick up the plating?

Not unhappy so far...definitely deeper than the F4 but still haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces. I need to buy a drum of 100% DEET...mosquito's are so bad right now that I almost needed a transfusion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 01:10AM by JeffNS.
July 22, 2010 01:07AM
Yes, your swing speed may very well be the reason. Yes, when you are at a good non-detecting point...... I could give your unit a tune-up. Just holler when ready....and details will follow.
July 22, 2010 07:31PM
Tom...you are a gentleman and a scholar. I sincerely appreciate that you're willing to perform a tune-up during the off season...don't forget...autograph too if possible! :-)

Imagine...a genuine Los Banos CZ-3D autographed by Tom Dankowski himself! lol Of course if you had any objections to signing my machine I wouldn't hold it against you...sure would be kinda cool though.

Talk again soon
July 23, 2010 01:19AM
Autograph is expensive option.........most decline.
July 23, 2010 08:33AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Autograph is expensive option.........most
> decline.

Hmmmm....perhaps Wally's autograph would be a more economical option. haha